Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

John Deere Adventure ATB 21 speed Bike

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-21, 07:44 AM
bleazenb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello new to the Bike Forums. Does anyone know anything about the John Deere Adventure ATB 21 speed mountain bike? Have one for sale local to me and I'm avid John Deere collector and wanted to know who made bikes for John Deere and anything about his particular bike. I've never seen one like it. Because I'm new to the forum It won't let me post pictures yet.

Thank you
Old 05-23-21, 02:31 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,103 Times in 1,367 Posts
I'm googling. Is it the soft tail one with the gimmicky gear "gauges" and Zoom fork? It looks like about the top of department store / bottom of bike store quality. If I had to guess it came out of some enormous company that makes all levels and many brands of bikes, like Pacific, and cost about $200 new. Beyond the value of being a functioning bicycle, the only additional value would likely be to... a John Deere collector!

We have a "what's it worth" subforum, and although this bike is probably <20 years old, they might be able to help you more over there.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 05-23-21, 02:44 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,589 Times in 3,779 Posts
This one?

Old 05-23-21, 05:11 PM
bleazenb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yep thats the one Im talking about
Old 05-23-21, 07:11 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,589 Times in 3,779 Posts
I grew up on a John Deere equipped family farm. Over the years we had B's, A's, a 630, a 4020, and a 2550. So, I am naturally drawn to JD stuff.

As far as a bike, this is a department store grade bike. Because bikes like this have, at best, a mixed reputation, they are sometimes referred to as Bike Shaped Objects; aka BSO. As a rider probably not great.

As a collector, who knows? Deere sold bikes back in the 70's that were, in their day, a bit nicer grade than this bike is. I have seen them available on the market for $25 to $1,000. No idea if any of those high priced ones actually sell at those prices or not.

Old 05-23-21, 09:10 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 2,661 Posts
It is a shame when quality companies farm out bikes to the lowest grade bidder. I have seen them more than enough times but had a customer come in today with a Jaguar branded bike from Schwinn (Dorel Industries) and it has the lowest grade parts but is for a fairly decent luxury car brand. It just doesn't make sense especially since it wasn't even a British company not that Schwinn is exceptionally American anymore as Dorel is from Canookistan but still.

If I loved John Deere I would get a custom bike and get some custom paint that matched my favorite tractor from them and ride something of quality that does right by the brand and not just scrap metal and plastic pressed out into a bike.
Old 05-24-21, 08:17 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,103 Times in 1,367 Posts
Many of the tie-in bikes you see are $50 Huffy beach cruisers with beer themed decals. This one is better than that. It's not great, but better than that. As a tribute it falls short, but as a bike to ride it's probably about equivalent to an average lawn mower.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 05-24-21, 10:39 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
Diluting the brand.
Old 05-24-21, 07:16 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
I grew up on a John Deere equipped family farm. Over the years we had B's, A's, a 630, a 4020, and a 2550. So, I am naturally drawn to JD stuff.
I spent a couple of summers working on the prairies for a grain farmer who used J.D. 12 -14 hours a day, mostly on a 4240.
I remember he and a neighbour engaging in good natured debate. The other fellow being a Case man.
Forever imprinted a love of farming in my mind
Likes For Happy Feet: