Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

giro d’italia 2021-straight...no fantasy chaser

Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

giro d’italia 2021-straight...no fantasy chaser

Old 05-25-21, 05:39 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 576 Times in 445 Posts
On that late finish -- that's 18.7% of the winning time. On a hard short stage, the cuts are the most generous. Still depend on average speed. If really fast, can be up to 22% in a typical Tour de France stage of this type.

I didn't find check the race book for the charts specific to this Giro. This calculator suggests the cut was 18% so the commissaires may have given him a nod, as is their right and in a wacky day like that one with all the rerouting and weather and nonsense they may be more inclined to exercise it. It also points to cuts up to 30% for the TTs. That's a lot.
Old 05-25-21, 11:09 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4269 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,816 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
bernal seems to be retreading the simon yates plan to win the giro...yatesie blew a fuse a few years ago around this time...there's still a mountain stage or two or three left.
bernal will likely finish the job tho since he's used to the altitude and the back seems to be behaving.
He now has enough of a cushion that he doesn't have to do anything aggressive to win. None of the remaining GC contenders seems likely to unleash a game-changing ITT at the end. Ineos will ride defensively and all Bernal has to do is to make sure that nobody really gets away from him in the mountains.

it's his unless bad fortune shows up.
Old 05-25-21, 11:27 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
Bernal is riding away from everyone and not showing any signs of cracking, although he told the media that he won't ride the TdF, and even the Olympics are in doubt, because he doesn't want to overload his back.

The jostling for the lower podium positions gets interesting, and I think makes it easier for Ineos because other teams will work to prevent any major getaways. EF-Nippo doing most of the work last stage was one example, though in their case it was because Carthy thought he had a shot at grabbing the Maglia Rosa.
Old 05-25-21, 01:54 PM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
bernal looks good. too good. hasn’t had a single hair out of place. hopefully, the back monster stays away along with the dreaded kruisjin snowbank and inopportune yatesie bonk. this is the giro after all.
Old 05-26-21, 03:55 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 609 Times in 458 Posts
Flame Rouge says this is close to Bernal's home. Looking forward to Simon Carr drilling it up some mountains.

... Bardet ...
Old 05-26-21, 10:31 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4311 Post(s)
Liked 2,954 Times in 1,601 Posts
This Giro keeps getting better and better.
A ***** in Bernal's armor, some hungry sharks, some impressive uphill solo'ing.
Bernal couldn't even keep up with his group of four at the end - they gave him a split.
This is some great terrain and great competition.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 05-26-21, 12:31 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

First stage after a rest day always seems to find some riders out. I've heard many mention it's hard to know how the legs feel. Bernal showed he didn't feel the best, not compared to Yates, at least.

Anyone think Caruso could have attacked? It wasn't clear to me that he benefitted at all from working with Ineos at the end. Yes, he didn't lose any time to first place by sticking with Bernal, but unless he was exactly as tapped out as Bernal, he had a prime chance to put in a real dig for the dream of wearing pink in Milan.

Forgot to mention an epic effort by DMart. Could he have lost time on purpose the prior stage so they'd let him get away today?
Old 05-26-21, 03:05 PM
surak

So glad that I didn't say that Yates had no powder to keep dry before the rest day, which I'd almost posted. Really would be something if he pulled a reversal of 2018, but he's so on and off that any more cold and rainy stages could extinguish him.
Likes For surak:
Old 05-26-21, 07:40 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
This Giro keeps getting better and better.
A ***** in Bernal's armor, some hungry sharks, some impressive uphill solo'ing.
Bernal couldn't even keep up with his group of four at the end - they gave him a split.
This is some great terrain and great competition.
He was eating a gel 6 km to go, clearly he wasn't fueling properly coming into the final climb. He bonked due to nutrition, not due to his legs.
Likes For aclinjury:
Old 05-26-21, 07:44 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

This dual thread fantasy / no fantasy program here has me fantasizing about posts I may or not have made. Like the one where I picked Martin for today with a strong showing by Almeida, and the one where I picked Brambilla for tomorrow, even before Hunter mentioned it. Too bad only half of that will bear fruit. Or have already.

I prefer the unithread program.

CINCFAM has us watching old stages while we cook and I'm hopelessly out of date. I just watched Cofidis win stage 8 and I haven't seen the carnage from today. She's certainly a keeper, but at the moment she's pushing it.

This race has just been mean. Vegni vidi vici.
Old 05-26-21, 09:02 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Originally Posted by aclinjury
He was eating a gel 6 km to go, clearly he wasn't fueling properly coming into the final climb. He bonked due to nutrition, not due to his legs.
Had to laugh at the censorship of "ch" "ink" in his armor... I had to check to see if the term really had any racist history... (no).

Anyway, watching a guy like Bernal turn himself inside out to minimize his losses on a bad day... and watching the competition going in for the kill... on a beautiful course... that's what makes good spectating.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 05-27-21, 12:41 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by aclinjury
Interesting... I hadn't noticed this. Good observation.
Anyway, I'm excited for the final three days. Work productivity may be quite low in the mornings.
Likes For OBoile:
Old 05-27-21, 01:21 PM
surak

Don't want to read too much into a post-stage interview, but Bernal seemed a bit weary today.

Bettiol was impressive especially with how strong he climbed yesterday. Think everyone expects him to win more than he does, because when Mamma di Pasta is on he looks like a world-beater.
Old 05-28-21, 01:55 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

almeida has continued his way back from a bad day early on. should he continue to hold/press the course, the last stage tt could find him in 4th place on the
finishing gc, not bad for a guy that got written off rather quickly and had to deal with the remco supernova. joao should have quite a few takers for a new team...bahrain?
(touching on another thread but...) if you're dqs, whom would you rather have for two years...sagan or (resign) almeida?

Last edited by diphthong; 05-28-21 at 01:59 AM.
Old 05-28-21, 01:33 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
almeida has continued his way back from a bad day early on. should he continue to hold/press the course, the last stage tt could find him in 4th place on the
finishing gc, not bad for a guy that got written off rather quickly and had to deal with the remco supernova. joao should have quite a few takers for a new team...bahrain?
(touching on another thread but...) if you're dqs, whom would you rather have for two years...sagan or (resign) almeida?
He has looked really good these last few days. It is too bad he blew up that one day, he may have been able to win it all otherwise.

The future of cycling sure is bright.
Likes For OBoile:
Old 05-29-21, 03:50 AM
diphthong

almeida is beginning to strike me as a better version of miggie lopez...
more consistent, less explosive climber, better tt'er. almeida could luck/perform
into a gt overall win potentially. vuelta may be his best chance. almeida is a solid
#2 or a smaller team's #1. still youthful tho...basing his potential on his next gc
go round.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 05-29-21, 11:08 AM
surak

Almeida has impressed this Giro. Last year's edition had a weaker field and he struggled in the high mountains, but this time he's hung in there up until the end while many others were distanced. A shame he had a bad day early on.

​​​​​Great ride by Caruso today. He could have just sat on the wheels again, but struck out to try something. Usually second place on any podium is the one with mixed feelings, but he won't be anything but thrilled tomorrow.

Bernal all the more impressive today if his back really has been hanging on by a thread, otherwise the conservative tactics paid off. Having Martinez as the last mountain domestique was such a huge advantage for Ineos, which is just one of many reasons why I can't root for that team, but whatever is the Italian version of chapeau to him.
Likes For surak:
Old 05-29-21, 12:59 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Originally Posted by surak

​​​​​Great ride by Caruso today.
On the final, I thought he was just sitting on Bardet's wheel and putting them both at risk... but then I thought again and figured he knew Bardet was going to crack anyway so might as well use him up before going for maximum glory.

Martinez... should get a huge bonus with his next paycheck.

This is the best Giro I've ever watched.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 05-30-21, 06:28 AM
GrainBrain

Originally Posted by DiabloScott
This is the best Giro I've ever watched.
Absolutely a blast to follow everyday - with Taco Time setting the tone right away!
I truly hope Caruso has the TT of his life and Bernal doesn't crash-but-maybe slides out a bit. Bernal keeps mentioning his lack of prep for TT.

Missed watching the last few stages live - finally watched stage 20 and wow what a ride in those final climbs! Basque vs Basque ... Bilbao dishing it out while Castroviejo flicking his hand in confusion over slowing down for Martinez. That motor bike infront of Bilbao seemed to linger for a bit longer

Speaking of "outside" help - Horner helped explain why UAE was pulling on stage 19(?) to bridge back Martinez ... Columbian love! I expect to see the same for Uran in the Tour darn it!!

Martinez with a phenomenal effort but there is still much to learn, and telling that he was the only "weakness" for Ineos.

João Almeida! Was he grabbing onto a motorbike or something, when I thought he was gone he popped back in! A GT is a formidable thing, and going back to the Remco vs João discussion I had thought João was the better - only because of the experience he has in three weeks of racing. As my fantasy team showed, it's much different then a week long stage race. The guys on GCN commenting that it's all about not having a terrible day, but you also don't want a fantastic day. Only so many matches to burn.

I finished a 160 mile ride last Wednesday and was thinking of this, and it was also the day (? maybe ?) that Bernal came under pressure. Yates with his memory of implosion from '18. I had to eat so much food on my ride, just eating and drinking. I became tired of eating before anything. I had a decent tailwind for half, had a tire snafu at 80 miles that left me still pedaling but with less then ideal pressure. All these little variables I had to workout. I've been doing knee-lower back workouts and jogging over the winter. Bernal with his back ailments I can sympathize with. Not going too deep, pacing yourself. Above all the mental fitness needed. Remco really started to look very tired in the final stages.

​​​​​​
​​​​​

Last edited by GrainBrain; 05-30-21 at 06:34 AM.
Likes For GrainBrain:
Old 05-30-21, 07:26 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

^ I did a 160 or so mile ride yesterday but it was on my Goldwing. Ha!

I might even be able to keep up with Ganna if my pit crew gets better at wheel changes.
Old 05-30-21, 09:17 AM
GrainBrain

Bernal is an expert bike handler
Old 05-31-21, 06:18 AM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
I read somewhere that Bernal is a vegan.

Almeida will find a few suitors. It's good that he leaves DSQ because Remco being Belgian will always be the favorite son at DSQ.
Old 06-01-21, 07:23 PM
diphthong

so it would seem that bernal is skipping the tour and doing the vuelta instead. that leaves the ineos lineup for the tour
roughly being a mélange of ayatesie, gthomas, tgh, kwiatkowski, pidcock, richie and prob carapaz with martinez, bernal and sivakov
doing the vuelta.

Last edited by diphthong; 06-01-21 at 08:02 PM.
Old 06-04-21, 10:38 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4269 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,816 Posts
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ega...with-covid-19/

Bummer for Egan. I assume that he's vaccinated?

As he's not headed for the tour, it probably won't affect his training for the Vuelta if symptoms stay mild and leave soon.

Reinforces my conviction that safety from covid is not just being vaccinated, but also being in an environment where prevalence is low. US right now? Pretty good. Europe? Not there yet.
Old 06-04-21, 11:08 AM
GrainBrain

Was he vaxxed? Wasn't it Remco that opted out incase of side effects? That would be tuff coming off the giro and then this, I felt like crude for a week and it took me another couple to recover.

Italy was extremely hard hit in the beginning of this covid situation!