Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Strava- anybody else find it creepy/intrusive?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Strava- anybody else find it creepy/intrusive?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-21, 08:54 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,861 Times in 6,072 Posts
Originally Posted by VicBC_Biker
How did Strava 'get' those 'contacts' ? And I don't believe that even if I could 'deny' Strava access, that it would stop them from grabbing the data anyway.
Well, if you linked Strava to your Facebook account, you gave Strava permission to look at your profile and identify any Facebook 'Friends' who were also on Strava and had linked THEIR Strava and Facebook accounts.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 06-01-21, 10:16 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,384 Times in 708 Posts
not creepy at all. i only use strava on my web browser.

all my rides are private.

i never linked it to my facebook, and said no to any questions about data sharing. if you use it on your phone, there are clear settings to disconnect your contacts, etc.

the social media features are just that - features - and you don’t have to use them. stripped of their option to profit from my information, i happily pay them the monthly fee for cool analytics, logging, etc.
Old 06-01-21, 10:20 PM
VicBC_Biker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Well, if you linked Strava to your Facebook account, you gave Strava permission to look at your profile and identify any Facebook 'Friends' who were also on Strava and had linked THEIR Strava and Facebook accounts.
I only gave Strava my email address; definitely didn't link it to my Facebook account. I never sign in to any site with my Facebook or Google account info.
Likes For VicBC_Biker:
Old 06-01-21, 10:22 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,113 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
worse could be; You walk into the random lbs to go look & potentially buy a new bicycle. The clerk has on the counter a tube, some random hardware, & an invoice. You walk up to them to ask if they could assist you, but before you could ask, they hand you that invoice to which is for the tube & hardware to repair your broken bicycle at home since the lbs calculated your thoughts before you could & figured out that you couldn't see paying the price tag for the bicycle that you were about to look at & want after asking for assistance.
precrime. minority cycling report.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 06-01-21, 10:28 PM
VicBC_Biker

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
not creepy at all. i only use strava on my web browser.

all my rides are private.

i never linked it to my facebook, and said no to any questions about data sharing. if you use it on your phone, there are clear settings to disconnect your contacts, etc.

the social media features are just that - features - and you don’t have to use them. stripped of their option to profit from my information, i happily pay them the monthly fee for cool analytics, logging, etc.
And you've never gotten any suggestions for 'friends' that also use Strava?

One of the friend suggestions for me was an in-law who lives on the other side of the country and is a runner, not a cyclist. Another was a paddling buddy who doesn't even know I own a bike. The simplest explanation is that Strava is somehow harvesting contacts out of our emails. But I don't know.

Some folks find it 'useful' that when they read the news online, the ads in the sidebars refer to things they have looked for in an online search, or browsed at a shopping site. I find that as creepy as it would be meeting a complete stranger who knew a lot of details of my personal life. Old-fashioned concepts: 'personal life', 'privacy'.
Old 06-01-21, 10:50 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,384 Times in 708 Posts
no, nothing of the sort ever. probably because i don’t use it on my phone, and it has no access to my contacts or facebook. the best they’ll get out of me is targeted ads, but i pay them so they don’t show me any ads.

And you've never gotten any suggestions for 'friends' that also use Strava?

One of the friend suggestions for me was an in-law who lives on the other side of the country and is a runner, not a cyclist. Another was a paddling buddy who doesn't even know I own a bike. The simplest explanation is that Strava is somehow harvesting contacts out of our emails. But I don't know.

Some folks find it 'useful' that when they read the news online, the ads in the sidebars refer to things they have looked for in an online search, or browsed at a shopping site. I find that as creepy as it would be meeting a complete stranger who knew a lot of details of my personal life. Old-fashioned concepts: 'personal life', 'privacy'.
Old 06-01-21, 10:52 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
Strava?

.....it's bad enough when i get pop-up ads for bras after my wife buys online. And she for tubular tires.

clear your handlebars, and your mind will follow.
Old 06-01-21, 11:21 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,603 Times in 2,907 Posts
Just like Linked-In. Don’t use Facebook, Twitter, WhatsAp or the hundreds of others, just Strava and Linked-in and limit what others can see. Credit cards, loans, BF, Google searches, YouTube vies, whatever, your personal data is being bought and sold constantly, just like all the opt—out notices you receive. There already are volumes written on all of us already in huge data bases. Don’t kid yourself that they almost know more about you and are trying to predict about you than you know, so I don’t sweat Strava, because its already public record already.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 06-01-21, 11:55 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
I only gave Strava my email address; definitely didn't link it to my Facebook account. I never sign in to any site with my Facebook or Google account info.
You do not have to give a specific piece of data. With a lot of different data points, from disparate sources, using analytical software you can identify points in common and with fine tuning of the software, determine if they relate to the same person. That is the who, what, where, why and how of social media and data harvesters. It is why Europe has the GDPR or General Data Protection Regulation to try to prevent abuses. Unfortunately Facebook and Googles business models are based upon collecting data. You always need to read the Terms of Service (ToS) and Privacy Statements for anything. The majority say they can do everything, of if restrictive, that they can change the ToS on a whim...

I have 5+ email addresses for very specific purposes. Facebook has one that is used for NOTHING else. Anytime you fill out those 'warrantee registrations' either with pen and ink or online, they never get a mobile number and never get my main email. A friend used to use a modification of his name in the early internet and pre-smartphone age. With it he could alway find out where his USPS paper junk main came from.

I will not access Facebook on my phone and use a browser extension called the Facebook container to sandbox all activity on Facebook (which in my case in minimal...) and also prevent any social media trackers from phoning home while browsing. For that reason I will never "Like" someone or company on FB.

WHile one cannot be totally protected, and some say why worry, they already have everything, you can take steps. PRIVACY is like dental floss, once you get it out of the can and compromised by data miners and aggregators, it is real hard to recover it, just like it is hard to get the floss back in the container.
Likes For Bill in VA:
Old 06-02-21, 12:10 AM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
You are not the only one that finds it creepy. The USA military discovered by tracking Strava users the outline of top secret military based could be mapped by checking users profiles in Iraq and other war zones.
Old 06-02-21, 07:27 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3417 Post(s)
Liked 3,547 Times in 1,784 Posts
How did Strava 'get' those 'contacts' ? And I don't believe that even if I could 'deny' Strava access, that it would stop them from grabbing the data anyway.
Too bad that Strava doesn't publish their privacy policy.

Oh wait, they do.

Contacts Information

You can choose to add your contacts’ information by connecting your contacts from your mobile device or social networking accounts to Strava. If you choose to share your contacts with Strava, Strava will, in accordance with your instructions, access and store your contacts’ information in order to identify connections and help you connect with them. Learn more about how we collect information about your contacts, how we use that information, and the controls available to you.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 06-02-21, 07:59 AM
billridesbikes

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Too bad that Strava doesn't publish their privacy policy.

Oh wait, they do.
”Your privacy is very important to us.”

Right up there with “I’ll respect you in the morning.”
Likes For billridesbikes:
Old 06-02-21, 08:08 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
.....it's bad enough when i get pop-up ads for bras after my wife buys online.
Pop-up ads for pushup bras?

BTW...I don't Strava either.
Old 06-02-21, 08:09 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I'm not giving the original topic starter a hard time, half way sympathizing. It is creepy, but it's also 100% voluntary.

I hear all the complaints about Facebook and Instagram doing creepy things, or banning this person but not that person, or promoting this but not that. It's a private company running a social media entertainment platform, meaning it is not necessary for breathing, eating, shelter......maintaining your life. It's 100% optional.

At anytime you can opt out and choose to not participate. You can choose in lots of these platforms the level to which you link/participate, but that takes some extra research and action on our parts.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 06-02-21, 08:11 AM
walnutz

Bikes: CO-OP ADV 3.1 aka Beeftank (stolen, RIP), State All-Road

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I'm not giving the original topic starter a hard time, half way sympathizing. It is creepy, but it's also 100% voluntary.

I hear all the complaints about Facebook and Instagram doing creepy things, or banning this person but not that person, or promoting this but not that. It's a private company running a social media entertainment platform, meaning it is not necessary for breathing, eating, shelter......maintaining your life. It's 100% optional.

At anytime you can opt out and choose to not participate. You can choose in lots of these platforms the level to which you link/participate, but that takes some extra research and action on our parts.
This is the correct answer. Don’t like it? Don’t use it. It’s not Strava’s job to protect your privacy.
Likes For walnutz:
Old 06-02-21, 09:06 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
But they seem so sincere:

Likes For Rolla:
Old 06-02-21, 09:34 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3417 Post(s)
Liked 3,547 Times in 1,784 Posts
Originally Posted by walnutz
It’s not Strava’s job to protect your privacy.
It totally is Strava's job to follow their own published privacy policy.

Old 06-02-21, 09:37 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,861 Times in 6,072 Posts
Originally Posted by billridesbikes
”Your privacy is very important to us.”

Right up there with “I’ll respect you in the morning.”
"Will you still respect me in the morning?"
"I don't respect you now!"

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-02-21, 10:30 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
i would assume strava knows becasue you are either following them or they you.
I've been off of Strava since about the time they broke all of the cool features.

However, when I was on it, I kept getting "friend suggestions". Unfortunately, the friend I added was from a contact during a century ride 100+ miles away. So, all the friend suggestions & networking was from the next major city to the north, and completely irrelevant.

And, since there wasn't a good non-public PM system (other than ride comments), the system wasn't good for sharing personal information.
Old 06-02-21, 11:14 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
If it's only an occasional ride that your friend wants you to see then maybe Strava has a share link that they can copy and send to you. Then you would not have to be a member, with all the "benefits" of being a free member as you've found out. RWGPS has that feature.
Old 06-02-21, 11:38 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,603 Times in 2,907 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I've been off of Strava since about the time they broke all of the cool features.

However, when I was on it, I kept getting "friend suggestions". Unfortunately, the friend I added was from a contact during a century ride 100+ miles away. So, all the friend suggestions & networking was from the next major city to the north, and completely irrelevant.

And, since there wasn't a good non-public PM system (other than ride comments), the system wasn't good for sharing personal information.

Interesting. While out riding, I ran into 3 people (not literally) and found out they are on Strava. This has happened in the last 6 months. I now chat back and forth with them using Comments and have gotten together to buy a Kicker from one and had a beer with another. Have also discovered people they know locally that I chat with and cross paths while out on rides thanks to Strava. Some good comraderie. Will be joining some of my friends “linked friends” on some group rides in the future.

Like anything, you get out of it what you put into it.

Old 06-02-21, 11:40 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
Why would it be creepy? Is Your life a strung up movement between bunkers and closed shutters? Are You a secret agent or an assassin? :-)

A computer app figured out how to link your contacts and that's it. A Nothingburger.

If You walk into your local store and the clerk tells You that the mailman said You have a horse in a barn they find it cool... is that creepy too?

FWIW I find those lurkers who find all of this creepy but then spend hours per day browsing their friend's facebook profiles without saying a word. creepy...but I'm not losing any sleep over it .
Likes For PedalingWalrus:
Old 06-02-21, 11:45 AM
ChrisWagner
Sierra

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Surveillance capitalismis an economic system centered around the commodification of personal data with the core purpose of profit-making.

> You are the product. Some say it threatens democracy.

Last edited by unterhausen; 06-02-21 at 02:17 PM. Reason: please, no politics
Likes For ChrisWagner:
Old 06-02-21, 12:05 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4369 Post(s)
Liked 3,001 Times in 1,854 Posts
Methinks this is just the tip of the iceberg for the OP, frankly.

Smartphones are surveillance devices unless you mind the settings, and even then....

Otherwise, yeah, the networked world is going to be creepy for you.

Or get used to it.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 06-02-21, 12:11 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
Yeah. it's called social networks for a reason - everyone contributes and as a whole a community gets created that is only as valuable as the individual contributions. Not participating, lurking is antisocial ... not that there is anything wrong with that ... but just stay away from the internet please...the Amish have a wonderful life too - no big deal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.