Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Over the course of two weeks: Bike no longer pedals forward. How to fix?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-21, 10:02 AM
spolls

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everyone, I'm a college student with an old road bike (hence the downtube shifters). I use it for cross-training when I'm injured (I'm a cross country/track athlete) and to get around campus or into town when need be. I live on a pretty small campus, so I only use it sparingly. Two weeks ago, I rode it across campus and it was fine. I tried to hop on it yesterday, and it wouldn't pedal forward, and the downtube shifters were incredibly "stiff" (they wouldn't move without a lot of force).
What could've caused this to happen during such a short period of time? I keep it under a covered bike-area outside.

Additionally, I noticed the chain was looking rusty, which I can't be sure whether or not that's a new development since I never really inspected the chain until today.

One more thing is that I noticed a little plastic piece that runs along the shifter cables as they descend the frame towards the gears appears to be loose, but it looks so small and light that I doubt it's the source of the problem.

I've never lubed the bike - I'm going to get some lube but I'm skeptical that's the problem given how quickly this developed.

Thank you all for your help!
Old 06-04-21, 10:09 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
It's got to be that little plastic thingy that runs along the shifter cables.
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 06-04-21, 11:09 AM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
A picture would be really helpful. You'll need a few more posts, though. Enjoy Bikeforums, and all that it has to offer, and everything else.

*EDIT: This is me trying to be somewhat helpful. DON"T JUDGE ME.

Last edited by growlerdinky; 06-04-21 at 11:11 AM. Reason: I'm sorry. Men have cycles, too. Hey! See what I did? Cycles? Get it?
Likes For growlerdinky:
Old 06-04-21, 12:01 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3660 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
Lots of good info on this link to help you narrow it down. https://www.parktool.com/ Sounds as if you could use it as a single speed. Lube the chain with something oily and see if it will ride in one gear.
Old 06-04-21, 12:14 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Does the back wheel spin freely? If not, your wheel may have moved in the dropout and allowed the tire to rub against the frame. This is guesswork without more information about the actual make and model of the bike.
Old 06-04-21, 12:37 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I hope you won't find this insultingly elementary, but is the chain jammed off a sprocket, like between the cogs and the dropout? That would make it impossible to turn the crank AND impede the motion of the derailleurs.
Old 06-04-21, 12:39 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Bigbus
It's got to be that little plastic thingy that runs along the shifter cables.

It's probably a metric plastic thingy on an English bike.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-04-21, 01:21 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by spolls
Hello everyone, I'm a college student with an old road bike (hence the downtube shifters). I use it for cross-training when I'm injured (I'm a cross country/track athlete) and to get around campus or into town when need be. I live on a pretty small campus, so I only use it sparingly. Two weeks ago, I rode it across campus and it was fine. I tried to hop on it yesterday, and it wouldn't pedal forward, and the downtube shifters were incredibly "stiff" (they wouldn't move without a lot of force).
What could've caused this to happen during such a short period of time? I keep it under a covered bike-area outside.

Additionally, I noticed the chain was looking rusty, which I can't be sure whether or not that's a new development since I never really inspected the chain until today.

One more thing is that I noticed a little plastic piece that runs along the shifter cables as they descend the frame towards the gears appears to be loose, but it looks so small and light that I doubt it's the source of the problem.

I've never lubed the bike - I'm going to get some lube but I'm skeptical that's the problem given how quickly this developed.

Thank you all for your help!
Kind of hard to diagnose from your description, but sounds like the chain desperately needs lubed no matter what. Any bit of rust is not good.

If you're on Facebook there's a bicycle repair group called Bicycle Repair Help Group. If you post pictures there someone might be able to help you (lots of bike mechanics on there), or else get 10 posts here and post pictures.
Old 06-04-21, 01:47 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
It's probably a metric plastic thingy on an English bike.
It must be the plastic thingy and not the carbon thingy, otherwise the bike would spontaneously asplode.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 06-04-21, 03:48 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
It must be the plastic thingy and not the carbon thingy, otherwise the bike would spontaneously asplode.
Could be a composite doohickey. Those tend to split at the join between the doo and the hickey.

spolls We're just riffing until you can post pics. We'll get serious again then.
Old 06-04-21, 06:04 PM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
You asploding doohicky guys should get a warning! guy needs some help, though someone at his university should be able. maybe he is afraid to ask in person?
gm
Old 06-04-21, 06:13 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by gringomojado
You asploding doohicky guys should get a warning! guy needs some help, though someone at his university should be able. maybe he is afraid to ask in person?
gm
OK, mom.

I think we all tried to help, but without a picture, we're all kind of stuck. Nothing wrong with having a little fun while op gets to 10 posts.

I totally related to op, when it comes to anything mechanical, I rarely know what to call a part.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-04-21, 07:26 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Originally Posted by livedarklions
OK, mom.

I think we all tried to help, but without a picture, we're all kind of stuck. Nothing wrong with having a little fun while op gets to 10 posts.

I totally related to op, when it comes to anything mechanical, I rarely know what to call a part.
I have a name for everything and everyone, or at least I did, then my wife asked me to quit using foul language. Now I don't have a clue what to call a part.
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 06-04-21, 08:37 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
I would take it to the engineering school on campus and let them have a go at it.
Old 06-05-21, 12:16 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
I would take it to the engineering school on campus and let them have a go at it.

Go to the physics department and take it to one of the quantum mechanics. Could end up with a bike that could be in two places at the same time.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-05-21, 05:05 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by gringomojado
gm
In all fairness, he's come here and asked a question that we can't answer with the insufficient info he's given us. Yes, a photo would help. But chances are, if he inspected all the moving parts, he could probably see what was wrong. Bikes are pretty simple machines, after all. I'd be happy to help, but I need more than "...It yoosta work now it don't."
Old 06-05-21, 05:45 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

I think we scared him off.
Old 06-05-21, 05:57 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Liked 1,627 Times in 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigbus
I think we scared him off.
Hope not... But then again maybe he figured out that he needed to unchain it first...
Old 06-06-21, 10:40 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked 1,652 Times in 779 Posts
I'm going to take a wild guess here and say the OP is NOT an engineering student.
Likes For Bald Paul: