Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Hydration ??'s

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-21, 01:08 PM
JLDickmon
dollar-store reject

Bikes: one big fat wad of classic Cannondale mtb's

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
Hydration ??'s

So, the last few days and the next few days are tropical here in the Great Lakes.. mid 90's temp and 70+% humidity..
A week ago we had a frost..
My question..
Bottled mineral water (Fiji, Mt. Home, etc), tap water or sports hydration?
My cardiologist and dentist aren't too keen on me drinking sports drinks.. too much salt content maybe?
Old 06-11-21, 01:20 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 619 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 272 Posts
More water less sport drinks. You need electrolytes which you can get from food or snacks that are healthy.
Likes For Rick:
Old 06-11-21, 01:46 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
Many sports drinks, like gatorade, just have too much in them. I often water down my powdered mix or I'll ensure that if I have two bottles then one is straight water (tap water. it's cheap) and the other electrolytes and carbohydrates.

For most times riding, it's just water. My ride needs to be nearer to 2 hours or a ridiculously intense ride for me to want food.
Likes For guachi:
Old 06-11-21, 01:49 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2480 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,674 Posts
Tap water for me for the last 50-plus years of riding.
Old 06-11-21, 04:27 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6201 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by JLDickmon
So, the last few days and the next few days are tropical here in the Great Lakes.. mid 90's temp and 70+% humidity..
My question..
My cardiologist and dentist aren't too keen on me drinking sports drinks.. too much salt content maybe?
It depends. Go with what your doctors say but there are some benefits to moderate consumption of sports drinks. I sweat walking across the street (I’m not out of shape, I just sweat easily). It’s hard for me to keep electrolytes up which leads to cramping. When you helmet and hydration pack look like this

The white stitching on the Camelbak isn’t thread. After rides I have to be careful to keep from wiping my eyes because they will sting from the salt. I’ve even been known to have salt bullseyes on my jerseys from the sweat evaporating. I have much more salt going out than in. So much so that low blood pressure is more of a problem for me than high blood pressure.

I use tap water in the Camelbak but I often carry one bottle of Gatorade on the bike especially on rides of longer lengths.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-12-21, 02:57 PM
exercion

Bikes: Cannondales: Synapse 5 Carbon and F5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 34 Posts
I carry tap water in the camelback, and add in POWERade Zero because I don't want all the sugar, when I get home or back to the car. Very occasionally I will stop for one with a snack on a long ride.

Eric
Old 06-12-21, 06:07 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 987 Posts
Tap water. Drink a glass before you go out, take two bottles for the ride (better to have too much than too little), then have some more when you get back. If its so hot that you go through all your water and want more, just stop at a 7-11 or similar and buy one of their generic bottles of water. If you're eating a well-balanced diet you shouldn't have a problem with electrolytes and minerals unless you're riding all day long in very warm temps. If you feel you need electrolytes, minerals, etc, just take a daily multivitamin.

Never could see any advantage in taking specialty 'sports' drinks, and I have to dilute most of them (or use less powder than recommended. And the highly-sugared stuff like Gatorade and Powerade makes me nauseous.
Old 06-12-21, 10:21 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Depends on how hard you ride. Toodling around? Water. Is it hot; add in some Nuun.

Hard sustained efforts over 2 hours? Take in about 60-90 grams per hour or more.

Carbs are legalized doping.

Never lose weight on the bike, lose weight in the kitchen. Fuel your performance.

My best rides are when I’ve been properly fueled. You need to, at the very least, replace the calories you lose when riding.

None of this matters if you putz around at 14mph having fun. But if you want to perform at a higher level, beat your past times up a climb…then carb the **** up.

Off the bike is when it matters what you put in your mouth…you know that other 95% of the time when we fatties eat poorly.

Good luck!
Old 06-13-21, 05:16 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,394 Times in 2,739 Posts
I've been using Liquid IV for the past couple of years. I learned the hard way that plain tap water just doesn't work for me when it's really hot and humid. Might be worth a try.

Old 06-13-21, 06:59 PM
dfritch

Bikes: Cervelo

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 6 Posts
Power Aide Zero is a good choice, plus tap water.
Old 06-14-21, 07:21 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by guachi
Many sports drinks, like gatorade, just have too much in them. I often water down my powdered mix or I'll ensure that if I have two bottles then one is straight water (tap water. it's cheap) and the other electrolytes and carbohydrates.

For most times riding, it's just water. My ride needs to be nearer to 2 hours or a ridiculously intense ride for me to want food.
I agree 100%. Most sports drinks have way too much sugar & salt in them. I've found that Powerade is better than Gatorade, no so strong. But I'll either water them down a bit (usually with lots of ice to keep it cold) in my water bottles, or else I'll put just plain tap water in one bottle and sports drink in the other. That way if I get tired of drinking sports drink I can just switch to water. However, I'm the kind of guy who sweats A LOT out in the heat, so I need sports drink to restore my electrolytes. If I drink too much water I end up washing all the electrolytes out of my system and start getting leg cramps. So a good mixture of water & sports drink works for me.
Old 06-14-21, 07:24 AM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by cyccommute
It depends. Go with what your doctors say but there are some benefits to moderate consumption of sports drinks. I sweat walking across the street (I’m not out of shape, I just sweat easily). It’s hard for me to keep electrolytes up which leads to cramping.
Me too, man. At the end of a 40 mile ride in summer, my face is crusty with salt. So I need sports drinks or else I'll start having cramps.
Old 06-14-21, 07:48 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
My question..
My cardiologist is also a cyclist, so he understands that I need more salt than many of his patients. I rode 50 miles yesterday and drank over a gallon of fluids -- without some salt I'd be cramping and listless today. Dentist is probably worried about cavities, as usual.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 06-14-21, 09:45 AM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by skidder
If you're eating a well-balanced diet you shouldn't have a problem with electrolytes and minerals unless you're riding all day long in very warm temps.
I think it varies from person to person and how much you sweat. I sweat a lot in hot temperatures, and learned the hard way that only carrying water on long rides in the heat was washing all the electrolytes out of my system, resulting in leg cramps. Since I started carrying sports drinks on my bike, either liquid in my bottles or powder which I can mix with my water when I refill, I haven't had that problem.

Never could see any advantage in taking specialty 'sports' drinks, and I have to dilute most of them (or use less powder than recommended. And the highly-sugared stuff like Gatorade and Powerade makes me nauseous.
I always have to drink it about half strength or maybe 2/3 strength. Otherwise they are just way too sweet. What I like to do is put sports drink in one bottle and water in the other (or sports drink it both bottles and water in my hydration pack) so I can swap out what I'm drinking. Sometimes on a ride water tastes much better than sports drink, sometimes water isn't enough. I stay hydrated either way but don't get sick of constantly drinking sports drink, even if it's watered down.
Old 06-14-21, 12:07 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
I had gastric sleeve weight loss surgery almost 3 years ago. Hydration is super important to me, and I cannot gulp or chug water like I used to. I also work in the desert... Here is what I do. At work, for every three bottles of water, one Gatorade Zero or Vitamin Water Zero... Never soda. I do love iced tea, unsweetened (I could not be a good southerner to save my soul...) I live in Utah, 5200' elevation, 20% or less humidity in the summer. For hot rides, I'll drink a Gatorade or Vitamin Water Zero before the ride, and after. Water exclusively on the ride. Either 2 water bottles on the bike or 100 ounce Camelbak with filtered tap water, depends on the ride distance or time out on a ride. I simply use a Brita type water filter pitcher. Wife and I keep 2 full all the time.
Old 06-15-21, 06:31 AM
JLDickmon
dollar-store reject

Bikes: one big fat wad of classic Cannondale mtb's

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
Now why didn't I think of this?
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...in-differences
Old 06-15-21, 07:21 AM
VTBike

Bikes: Scott Sub 40

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by aplcr0331
Never lose weight on the bike, lose weight in the kitchen. Fuel your performance.

My best rides are when I’ve been properly fueled. You need to, at the very least, replace the calories you lose when riding.
No, you don't need to replace the calories you lose when riding - not unless you want to train your body to be addicted to sugars. Your body has plenty of energy stored in the form of fat. I like to burn fat when I exercise. You have trained your body to avoid burning fat by cramming sugars down your throat that your body does not need.

Your best rides are when you are "properly fueled" (as if the fuel stored in your body is not "proper") because you trained your body that way. But you didn't have to.

This article explains it well.
https://www.nomeatathlete.com/burning-fat-for-fuel/

Last edited by VTBike; 06-15-21 at 09:41 AM.
Old 06-15-21, 08:07 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Pedialyte is a bit too salty for my stomach. I don't care for the flavor if it's watered down 50%, but a bottle of that and a bottle of water, alternating sips, is fine.

The Pedialyte "popsicles" are great for eating after a hot ride, while sitting out on the porch.
Old 06-15-21, 08:53 AM
Ryno317
Member in Training

Bikes: '21 GT Aggressor Pro, '16 Norco 7.1 Storm << son's bike

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I always try to drink Gatorade G2, instead of regular Gatorade after a ride and just water during the ride. But lately I have been drinking Body Armor Lyte and really like the flavors and taste.
Old 06-15-21, 09:33 AM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
I sweat a lot. On a long ride on hot day I will carry 2 bottles on the bike and 2l in a hydration pack. My wife likes a water bottle that she mixes a little fresh lemon juice.

I get my salt/sugar from nutrition bars, fruit or pack a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Running out of energy s♡cks. Particularly on long rides.
Old 06-23-21, 01:35 PM
Lambkin55

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Curcit is my main bike

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 35 Posts
In my part of farm country...
Any well water I can find on the road.
The COLDER the better.
Old 06-24-21, 09:37 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 80 Posts
Nuun tablets get dropped into bottles and Camel bak, I get a wicked headache otherwise.....
Old 06-24-21, 03:48 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 407 Times in 253 Posts
Filtered tap or straight tap water for me. Always been that way for me, even when I was competing in cross country ski marathons and swimming competitively.