Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Frame mounted pump and/or CO2?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Frame mounted pump and/or CO2?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-21, 09:28 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Now, modern bikes make carrying the best tool for that very basic necessity of tire inflation impractical.
That's not even a little bit true. Several mini-pumps have been mentioned in this thread that will inflate a tire in ~100 pumps or less.

Originally Posted by MrWasabi
Does everyone just feel/eyeball it in terms of pressure with the small hand pumps and CO2?

Thanks again for the great input.
Some pumps and CO2 inflaters come with guages--One of the Lezyne models does as does the significantly bulkier Topeak Road Morph.

But doing it by feel works well enough to get you home, usually.
Old 06-24-21, 10:02 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,965 Times in 1,915 Posts
Topeak Morph Pump & ride sensible to avoid using it. Usually a flat happen when the other option was to ford a ravine, exchange paint with a vehicle, or end up with a pinch flat. Easier to just replace/patch the 1 hole...
Old 06-24-21, 10:20 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
The thumb and index finger squeeze was all I used in racing days. I now have a floor pump with gauge in my garage, but feel takes precedent over the reading.
You probably determine chicken is cooked by pushing on it instead of using a digital thermometer.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 06-24-21, 10:24 AM
Cpn_Dunsel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 61 Posts

Last edited by Cpn_Dunsel; 07-02-21 at 10:34 AM.
Old 06-24-21, 10:30 AM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
Since discovering the type I have a couple of small pumps with hose and fold out foot. . . mini floor pumps. Less tiring, less risk of breaking a valve, slightly faster and easier because you aren't wasting half your energy just to keep the valve end steady. I have several, on different bikes, and they all work OK, even the $10 Ebay one.
Old 06-24-21, 11:16 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by Cpn_Dunsel
Sure, my 20 year-old, still working frame pump has a carbon foot print. Touche ~ !

But you claiming it uses as much raw materials as disposable cartridges? Many of them never even get used and are disposed of improperly. Also, good pumps do not simply 'die in the field.' If it is working at the start of a ride it's ginna be working when needed during a ride.

Please. I am neurotic dude, no doubt, but that is going too far even for me {insert appropriate emoticon here}.
My comment was based on LDL's statement-
My Zefal broke in two after a small drop, so I don't recommend it.
- I have no idea how long LDL's pump lasted- could have been 1 week or 10 years, not sure. Either way, LDL doesnt recommend it so LDL clearly didnt find value in it.
- I didnt claim it uses as much raw materials as disposable cartridges. I simply said a full size frame pump that breaks in half after a small drop is a big environmental waste.
- I have 0 idea how much raw material goes into a cartridge and I have 0 idea how much raw material goes into a full size frame pump.
- I very much doubt that most people test their pump before every ride to ensure it is working. So a seal dries out over time since a pump is used rarely, and it doesnt work when finally needed. Thats on the person for not testing before every ride, I guess, but its like blaming someone for not reading itunes TOS since so few test every part of their bike before every ride.

Ease up, my goodness.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 06-24-21, 12:04 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6190 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
Might depend on how often you flat. If you flat a lot, then CO2 cartridges will just add to your expense. Though I've found that you can get the same size cartridges threaded or not from food service industry suppliers for way cheaper than other suppliers.

If I was to flat often, then I'd probably carry a larger frame pump that fits under the top tube. The tiny little pumps, to me, are great for topping off, but not to fully inflate without giving a workout.

Since I'll go 1 or 2 years between flats, I only carry a CO2 inflator. I'm not sure why others might consider them something to fill up land fills, I put mine in the recycling bin. Metal is very recyclable. I sometimes crush them just to ensure they don't think they are still pressurized.
Old 06-24-21, 12:17 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by GBK233
Wastefulness of CO2 cartridges?? What does that mean?
I took it to mean the fools that discard the empty cartridges along the road or trail.
Old 06-24-21, 12:30 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
I use full length frame pumps that fit in front of the seat tube or under the top tube. Depends on the bike. The wife uses a vintage Silca Impero, I used an Impero, but now use a Zefal HPX. Both Imperos are close to 40 years old and plastic and work perfectly and are rebuildable. Both Imperos and the Zefal HPX are compression mountings that do not need a pump umbrella, and fit between the frame tubes..
Old 06-24-21, 05:56 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Looks like your frame pump was also environmental waste- a lot of it too.

I carry a co2 inflator, but have never used it while riding. My pump gets used first. The co2 is there in case I find myself in your situation and the pump decides to die in the field.
Which is why I don't recommend the Zefal. It came with the bike and lasted just about a year. It was a good pump the three times I had to use it, but I was shocked by how brittle the plastic was. Now that I know, I agree with you, it's disposable waste.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing people for using co2, That's just my personal calculation.
Old 06-25-21, 09:06 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
What's everyone's preference? I carry an inflator and CO2. I've been thinking about adding a small frame pump. If I add a pump what are some good ones out there? Obviously I want small and light but don't want to give up too much ease of use/functionality. I've been looking at the Lezyne Pocket Drive.

Thanks for any input.
I carry a CO2 inflator, and 3 CO2 bottles. I also have a small pump with a flexible hose on it. Get one like mine with a short hose so you dont put pressure on your presta valve stem.
Old 06-25-21, 09:06 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
What's everyone's preference? I carry an inflator and CO2. I've been thinking about adding a small frame pump. If I add a pump what are some good ones out there? Obviously I want small and light but don't want to give up too much ease of use/functionality. I've been looking at the Lezyne Pocket Drive.

Thanks for any input.
I carry a CO2 inflator, and 3 CO2 bottles. I also have a small pump with a flexible hose on it. Get one like mine with a short hose so you dont put pressure on your presta valve stem.
Old 06-25-21, 09:14 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I prefer full frame pumps. On my carbon disc bike with a curved top tube I've been carrying a mini pump. But I think I'm going to buy a Co2 cartridge holder that bolts to the bottle cage mount. Two on that and one in the pocket.
Old 06-25-21, 09:19 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Two theories of on-the-road puncture repair:

1. You don't have a puncture very often so it doesn't matter very much how long it takes you to re-inflate your tire afterward.
2. Since you got a puncture, you're already upset. The quicker and easier you get back on the road, the less upset you're apt to get.

Which one more accurately describes you?
Old 06-25-21, 09:21 AM
Cpn_Dunsel

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 61 Posts

Last edited by Cpn_Dunsel; 07-02-21 at 10:35 AM.
Old 06-25-21, 09:21 AM
John Valuk

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 109 Posts
I like the Lezyne Road Drive. I have one in the medium size, and recently ordered one in the large size.

I have a frame pack that hangs underneath the top tube. It can accommodate one of these pumps, spare tube, patch kit, tire levers, small multitool, etc., along with my flip phone. I keep my Topeak SmartGauge D2 in there, too; not terribly concerned about the grams.
Old 06-25-21, 09:32 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
For my city loops I carry a small pump on my frame (on the water bottle bracket). A Lezyne I think. It does the job with some effort. Which ever one it is it's a highly rated one. On long rides I carry my trusty Silca Pocket Impero pump. I don't mess around. If I'm off trail in more remote areas I carry the Pocket Impero pump and a CO2 inflator as a backup.
Old 06-25-21, 09:44 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch

1. You don't have a puncture very often so it doesn't matter very much how long it takes you to re-inflate your tire afterward.
2. Since you got a puncture, you're already upset. The quicker and easier you get back on the road, the less upset you're apt to get.

BOTH!!! Situation specific.

My last flat a few weeks ago and the first in years (well, the one I discovered at home does not count) was on a new bike. REAR, of course, My first thru-axle. Off comes the one pannier. Dump it on street. Next figure out thru-axle (not much but first time). Now try locating cause - absolutely easy, A damn staple with both legs in tire. Memorize location (not needed went with spare tube). Now dump pannier's contents looking for tire irons, pump, patch kit, tubes. Now bust a gut (first time) getting tire off rim. Getting hot and bothered. Pump up tube free of tire and it is good. Replace tube and BUST gut second time trying and trying and TRYING to mount tire on rim. My friend gives it a try. Busts her gut. Some pedestrian with fresh fingers offers and we accept. He succeeds. Oh, yes, little leyzine with flex tube and small foot loop. Pump, pump.... pump. Feels very firm - no guage. EXHAUSTED. Complete last 15 miles of 20 mile ride. At home, tire was within 3-5 pounds of 85. Not bad.

NOT fun but success. All it took was the right tools and THREE people, one of which was not along on the ride! I've never used CO2. Most of the exasperation was removing and fitting the tire. The pumping was work but at that point ....
Old 06-25-21, 09:52 AM
John Valuk

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 109 Posts
Originally Posted by kahn
NOT fun but success. All it took was the right tools and THREE people, one of which was not along on the ride!
Depending on how you feel about carrying more gear, you might consider a Kool Stop bead jack.

I don't carry one myself, but that's because I know that the tires I'm using are manageable without one.
Likes For John Valuk:
Old 06-25-21, 09:54 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by Cpn_Dunsel
Your defense of ignorance and laziness is well articulated. Kudos. You skill is misconstruing the point in order to make your own, typical. Yet, no one, and certainly not me, needs to meet your mindset or energy levels in their own posts. Telling people to 'ease up' is a bit over the line. You really are wholly ignorant to what a person is thinking or feeling and tread on thin ice here.

I think best would be for you to apply your own advice to yourself. Show us all how it's done in proper fashion, as it were.

Best of luck at becoming better at reading the room temp.

{Insert laughing emoticon with sunglasses}
What point am I misconstruing?
Old 06-25-21, 10:15 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
That's not even a little bit true. Several mini-pumps have been mentioned in this thread that will inflate a tire in ~100 pumps or less.

That's in large part because the 110 psi we used to get in 100 strokes with our full frame pumps is now 70 psi. (I lent my HP to a 45 yo clubmate to put 120 psi into his tires for a TT. He was a small, skinny engineer. Not an issue at all. I challenge you to do that with any mini and be able to come back and say that was fun with a straight face,
Old 06-25-21, 10:26 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch

3. Flats happen. You want the right tools for the job.

I'm with 3) - wanting the right tools for the job. For a bicycle tire pump up, a floor pump. If I have to carry it with me, a good full frame pump. A pump that can reach full pressure easily. A pump I don't mind using anytime I want more pressure than I am currently riding. (I really don't like coming off a great gravel ride and squishing the last 35 miles of pavement home.)
Old 06-25-21, 11:22 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 690 Posts

Thanks for any input.
I used to run CO2 until I got 4 flats in a single ride. Then I switched to a pump until I had the seal fail on me. Now I carry both.

Your concern about size vs function is valid, as I have had pumps that seem to take forever. I carry a Pro Bike Tool "Mini Floor Pump" on the tandem because it works well, but it is a little large. Makes me wonder if the same brand's "Classic" would be a good compromise, but I have also seen excellent reviews for the Lezyne which is the same price. I guess what I'm saying is, I'm just here to see what others say about the Lezyne or other brands.
Old 06-25-21, 11:59 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 690 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
On my classic one, I have a Silca frame pump custom painted to match the bike. It’ll pump a tire but mostly it’s just cool.
I miss those. They did a great job of filling the tire, and when they matched the bike they looked sexy! My last one was a chrome one that matched my polished aluminum frame, but even that was an awkward fit as frame shapes were starting to get weird.

Does everyone just feel/eyeball it in terms of pressure with the small hand pumps and CO2?
I use my thumb and compare it to the other tire. Flats are seldom enough that it's not a big deal to me, but it is tempting to get a pump with a gauge just to be more accurate.
Old 06-25-21, 12:05 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
I miss those. They did a great job of filling the tire, and when they matched the bike they looked sexy! My last one was a chrome one that matched my polished aluminum frame, but even that was an awkward fit as frame shapes were starting to get weird.
It's still a thing especially with the Instagram-popular custom and boutique steel bike crowd. Breadwinner offers a painted-to-match Silca as an add-on with their stock models. https://breadwinnercycles.com/product/b-road/#frame

That's not to say Breadwinner isn't legit--they make some solid sexy bikes and I'd like to have one. Just using them as one example.
Likes For ksryder:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.