Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why We Should STOP Our Obsession With Bike Weight

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why We Should STOP Our Obsession With Bike Weight

Old 06-28-21, 07:09 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Heavy bikes give you a better workout.
Not.
Old 06-28-21, 07:27 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
My bike is already below the UCI minimum so I have to add weight to be legal
Old 06-28-21, 07:43 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
It wouldn't be for me, it's just not a big enough difference in exertion to exhaust me much faster. I'm just going to take a little longer to cover the same distance with the heavier bike. Since I'm not racing, I really don't care about that.

And yes, this is actually something I've done. A lot. Ask me about my 90 mile ride on a Walmart Huffy beach cruiser.
I rode from Louisville to Lexington on one, about 100 miles, 2hr drive on the expressway.
Old 06-28-21, 07:50 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Originally Posted by Troul
heavy bicycles lessens the ability to escape a vicious dog.
most dogs can run at 30-45 mph anyway. A heavy bike might knock it out faster
Old 06-28-21, 07:56 PM
Flatforkcrown

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 159 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
heavy bicycles lessens the ability to escape a vicious dog.
carry a frame pump and don’t worry about dogs anymore. Best if you have a silca with a campy head and sharpened legs on the head.
Likes For Flatforkcrown:
Old 06-28-21, 08:01 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
If not weight, what else should we obsess with on our bike?
Valve stem caps and reflectors, of course.
Likes For Charliekeet:
Old 06-28-21, 08:09 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Weghts not a big factor for me, I want light and durable, but durable will win over lightness in places durable is more paramont... like a sealed BB. A bike is only going to get so light, but for some; a lighter wallet is faster.Most bike stuff isn't even realistically heavy. And a 20-23lb bike isn't heavy, UCI be damned. My High Sierra is heavy. Though I do like trying to lighten up heavy bikes, a bike under 25lbs is good enough.

Now if I can win the lottery on the other hand... carbon wheels, fork, stem, post does sound good for the Katai. Do they make carbon vbrake calipers, or are cantis lighter?
Old 06-28-21, 09:17 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody
I rode from Louisville to Lexington on one, about 100 miles, 2hr drive on the expressway.
I'm not surprised.
​​It's actually comfortable. I hadn't yet ridden a century when I did that, but mostly I felt I had maxed out the practical distance on the bike because it was just not suitable mechanically. For one thing, it kept randomly dropping the chain, and fixing a roadside flat is not a lot of fun.

Within a month or so, I started riding centuries on a comfort bike. Kind of the same experience, but with gears and quick release.

I definitely do not recommend Worcester as a bicycling town. I find it ironic that bicycling on a road named after Major Taylor is so unpleasant. Someone should do something about that.
Old 06-28-21, 09:25 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Exotic material bidons.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-28-21, 09:47 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,148 Times in 1,312 Posts
Shimano’s flawed derailleur design.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 06-29-21, 10:38 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
All my vintage steel roadies are constantly fat shaming me. I mean, I'm only 155 lb. But that doesn't stop them. They're like, "you can't even fit into the shorts you wore in college. Go on, suck it in, buddy. We own you."
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 06-29-21, 10:40 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2964 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Shimano’s flawed derailleur design.

John
What's flawed about it?
Old 06-29-21, 10:53 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by prj71
What's flawed about it?
Yes.
Old 06-29-21, 12:28 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

I'm not surprised.
​​It's actually comfortable. I hadn't yet ridden a century when I did that, but mostly I felt I had maxed out the practical distance on the bike because it was just not suitable mechanically. For one thing, it kept randomly dropping the chain, and fixing a roadside flat is not a lot of fun.

Within a month or so, I started riding centuries on a comfort bike. Kind of the same experience, but with gears and quick release.

I definitely do not recommend Worcester as a bicycling town. I find it ironic that bicycling on a road named after Major Taylor is so unpleasant. Someone should do something about that.
I actually didn't have mechanical problems with the cranbrook. Though there was hills I had to walk up. It was my first and last century. It took about 14 hours, I think. I was going to see some friends of mine, it was interesting. There was a storm that kept poping up, I had to stop and charge my phone, at one point it cartwheeled out of my pocket and knocked the reciever out of commision. I took US 60, that went through Middletown, Lyndon, Simpsonville, Shelbyville, Frankfort, Versaille... finally to Lexington. I had no issues with cagers either. Oh and by the time I got in to Frankfort I think; I realized I forgot my lock, of all things.

Now a few days after I got back, that lil piece that holds the sproket broke when I went to stop, and I ran in to the backyard retaining wall at my at time girlfriends house. Days after that, I let a guy use my phone- which needed headphones to talk... because of the stunt it pulled. They called him back and the reciever was magically fixed. He said it was the luck of the jew. I wish he would pass through here again, so I can get him to bless my bank account.
Old 06-29-21, 12:50 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody
I actually didn't have mechanical problems with the cranbrook. Though there was hills I had to walk up. It was my first and last century. It took about 14 hours, I think. I was going to see some friends of mine, it was interesting. There was a storm that kept poping up, I had to stop and charge my phone, at one point it cartwheeled out of my pocket and knocked the reciever out of commision. I took US 60, that went through Middletown, Lyndon, Simpsonville, Shelbyville, Frankfort, Versaille... finally to Lexington. I had no issues with cagers either. Oh and by the time I got in to Frankfort I think; I realized I forgot my lock, of all things.

Now a few days after I got back, that lil piece that holds the sproket broke when I went to stop, and I ran in to the backyard retaining wall at my at time girlfriends house. Days after that, I let a guy use my phone- which needed headphones to talk... because of the stunt it pulled. They called him back and the reciever was magically fixed. He said it was the luck of the jew. I wish he would pass through here again, so I can get him to bless my bank account.
My people can will phones back to life? Who knew?

I'm going to have to open a kiosk at the mall!
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-29-21, 01:10 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10243 Post(s)
Liked 11,595 Times in 5,942 Posts
Aerodynamics, which require more sophisticated instrumentation to measure.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 06-29-21, 01:12 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Yes! As short as possible to save...oh, damn...
Time. Think how much time you waste screwing in a screw that's even 5mm too long! Now multiply that by all the screws on your bike!

Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-29-21, 01:16 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,884 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Time. Think how much time you waste screwing in a screw that's even 5mm too long! Now multiply that by all the screws on your bike!
screw that! Why is hardware gotta be so hard to deal with at times. I foresee another thread about hardware in the future.
Old 06-29-21, 01:24 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by genejockey

Don't even get me started on oversized baby bolts.
Old 06-29-21, 01:27 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Don't even get me started on oversized baby bolts.
Baby bolts? Are they used to install rubber baby buggy bumpers?

Old 06-29-21, 01:28 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I had some bottle cage screws that were so long I was afraid they'd bottom out on the other side of the downtube.

Old 06-29-21, 01:58 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4272 Post(s)
Liked 4,707 Times in 2,907 Posts
While I’m not overly obsessed about bike weight, I do a lot of climbing and every kg costs approx 1 min per 1000m of typical alpine climbing. On a big ride I might do up to 4000 m of climbing, so that’s a 4 min loss. That’s not an issue if I’m riding alone, but if I’m in a group it could mean the difference between hanging on or getting dropped. Now if you compare a sub 7 kg bike against a 10 kg bike, then it starts to make a real difference on sustained climbs, especially if you are riding in a group.

To put it in context I can lose about 5-6 kg in weight if I really focus on my diet for several months and that’s when I make the biggest gains on hilly rides. My current bike weighs 8.8 kg with pedals, so I could potentially drop another 2 kg, which would give me less than half of the gain from losing weight. So a lightweight bike is more the icing on the cake and really only significant when doing a lot of climbing.
Old 06-29-21, 02:56 PM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
If you have two bikes with the same components at a similar price, why should weight then not also be a factor to consider next? Maybe fit comes before still, but at some point it is a valid factor even if the total weight difference is just 1%, to use the example from the video. Especially for people who climb a lot.
Old 06-29-21, 03:09 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
While I’m not overly obsessed about bike weight, I do a lot of climbing and every kg costs approx 1 min per 1000m of typical alpine climbing. On a big ride I might do up to 4000 m of climbing, so that’s a 4 min loss. That’s not an issue if I’m riding alone, but if I’m in a group it could mean the difference between hanging on or getting dropped. Now if you compare a sub 7 kg bike against a 10 kg bike, then it starts to make a real difference on sustained climbs, especially if you are riding in a group.

To put it in context I can lose about 5-6 kg in weight if I really focus on my diet for several months and that’s when I make the biggest gains on hilly rides. My current bike weighs 8.8 kg with pedals, so I could potentially drop another 2 kg, which would give me less than half of the gain from losing weight. So a lightweight bike is more the icing on the cake and really only significant when doing a lot of climbing.
Just get an ebike. If you're going to spend money to improve your speed up hills, what does it matter how you spend it?
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 06-29-21, 03:31 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
There is a photo from Saturday's huge Tour de France crash that could be used to illustrate the OP's point. In it you can see perhaps a dozen broken frames; many at top and down tubes. So, what, an easy $60 grand of ruined bikes? By contrast, there is the famous footage from "Water Carriers and Kings" (title from memory and wrong, but close) of a rider bending his 1970 steel fork straight enough to ride and finish by hand after a multi-rider crash. Most of the rest had already mounted their bikes and gone.
You know they can just press a little button on their radio and be off and riding on an identical spare bike in a matter of seconds, right? Pro bike racing seems like one of the few situations where shaving grams at the expense of durability makes sense. They don't need bikes that survive crashing. They have a whole car full of spare bikes, parts and mechanics that follow them around.
Likes For msu2001la:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.