Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Anti-Seize Compound For New And Old Bicycles

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 07-03-21, 11:04 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked 1,594 Times in 1,020 Posts

My 8 oz bottle of Permatex Anti-Seize Compound is finally at the bottom. I use it on everything. Cars, Mowers, Boats, Computers, and yes, Bicycles. Having acquired this bottle in the early 90's and really having used no other brand before and after I am wondering...

What's the best Anti-Seize compound I should be using on my bicycles?

Is there one I should not use on my bicycles?

Old 07-03-21, 12:31 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked 3,789 Times in 2,269 Posts
While there are TI specific AS compounds (and other metal referenced ones) the overlap with most all the hardware store stuff is large. I suspect for most all bike work it's like the chain lube question. The best is the one you will use. Andy
Old 07-03-21, 02:30 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,053 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
While there are TI specific AS compounds (and other metal referenced ones) the overlap with most all the hardware store stuff is large. I suspect for most all bike work it's like the chain lube question. The best is the one you will use. Andy
+1. Lot's of discussions and ads around the net on this and a lot of disagreements. Why not just keep using the Permatex if that's what has been working for you. Personally I prefer just using grease and preferably marine grease if I have some laying around. Not as durable as some anti-seizes but a heck of a lot less messy, easier to clean off when working on parts, easier to work with and lasts a long time in most conditions. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-03-21, 02:44 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
I have a little bit of a quart can of nickel anti-seize that was my dad's from back in the early 80's maybe even the late 70's. I've never found any other type of anti-seize necessary. Nickel AS is decent for most all normal things.

Little bit goes a long way. Last a long time. Hard to get out of clothing. I wouldn't be too particular about brands. It's just a bike, not a space craft.
Old 07-03-21, 04:46 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 152 Posts
I've found the stick style anti-seize is much more convenient to use and is not a messy as the can/brush or tube styles. I currently have Loctite 8065 just because it is in a stick form.
Likes For RGMN:
Old 07-03-21, 05:07 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4741 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
+1 I have an open tub of marine grease that gets used for all sorts of stuff. Been sitting open on my bike workbench for probably 10 years. Use it for all threads (way beyond just bikes) with about two exceptions. Love that when I come back to a wheel many years later, the nipple turns like I built it last week.

(Just remembered one of my thread exceptions. My screw top Mocha coffee makers. They get olive oil applied with a paper towel corner. Lube that 's safe to ingest.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 07-03-21, 05:27 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
My choice for dissimilar metal joints is Tef-Gel® which is specifically designed to resist electrolytic corrosion. It contains PTFE rather than metal; I don't like introducing another metal into the mix with nickel/copper high-temperature antisieze formulas. Bikes do not require high-temperature properties. Expensive but a little goes a long way. https://www.ultratef-gel.com/tef-gel/
Old 07-03-21, 09:17 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Originally Posted by RGMN
,,,stick style anti-seize is much more convenient.....
Never heard of it sure beats squeezing my old AS into a syringe.

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
My choice for dissimilar metal joints is Tef-Gel®...
Man... I should have used this on my boat parts...
Old 07-03-21, 09:21 PM
zandoval 

..I suspect for most all bike work it's like the chain lube question...
Oh-No!!! Not a chain lube question... Sorry Guys...
Old 07-03-21, 10:36 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26243 Post(s)
Liked 10,227 Times in 7,097 Posts
...to some extent, the answer to this depends on what you are trying to keep from seizing. But yeah, most of them work for regular old aluminum/steel contact and steel/ steel contact. Carbon anything is a special case. There're a number of charts that take the electrolytic potential of various metals into account, and from there you can figure out specific anti-seize compounds to use in your application.

I think I have small jars of both a zinc/copper sacrificial metals compound, and a nickel compound. AS stated, bicycles are not especially demanding, if you store them someplace dry and don't live near the ocean, or ride them through a lot of road salt.

Anti-seize Compounds Information

...I once started a thread in mechanics on anti-seize that went on for probably ten pages.
There used to be a lot of olde guys on here who were certain it was a waste off money on bicycles.

I remember thinking that one or two of them might have a stroke, when that thread was going on.
In an entirely passive aggressive way, that was kind of fun.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 07-04-21, 09:04 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
...Is there one I should not use on my bicycles?
There is a reason Park Tool only has one grade of squeeze tube anti-seize and that's because it will do all you need for bike, unless maybe you leave it outside year round on the coast were you could justify a marine grade product. As to what not to use we had warehouses full of the stuff in mines, mills, smelters and refineries for specialty uses but a huge waste of money for just steel, SS, aluminum and titanium and various coating on fasteners found on a bike.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 07-04-21, 09:28 AM
zandoval 

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...charts that take the electrolytic potential of various metals into account...
Thank you! It was a pleasure to examine the chart in depth. The spread of metals electrical potential (+) to (-) is very interesting. Not surprised that solder in right in the middle. Lost my old LeaFax pocket reference note books long ago and miss them dearly. To lazy to bring out my Eshbach's, but still keep my Glover on the work bench.

Think I'll just get another 8oz bottle of the Permatex AS. That should last me another 40 years and at the age of 68 it should do. Ha...
Old 07-04-21, 09:32 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,355 Times in 2,034 Posts
For use on Stainless steel Al or Ni based is recommended.
Old 07-04-21, 09:36 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 395 Posts
My titanium-framed road bike, with a titanium seatpost, came with a recommendation to use a copper-based anti-seize compound. A small amount was furnished. In 20 years, I've had no issues. This doesn't mean other anti-seizes wouldn't work as well.