Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.3

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.3

Old 07-13-21, 10:06 AM
  #1126  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 42,842

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 740 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20036 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 653 Posts
I bet this tastes great on your pies.

__________________
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
People here don't get it.
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 07-13-21, 10:33 AM
  #1127  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 35,795

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 502 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15573 Post(s)
Liked 3,522 Times in 1,760 Posts
Originally Posted by sshakari View Post
On my 30th day without caffeine and no alcohol.
First 2 weeks without coffee was the worst time in my life. Coffee is the toughest habit to kick both mentally and physically. Anyone else?
I don't drink alcohol, well maybe one drink per quarter. I do drink coffee. I suppose I could stop but why?
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Likes For datlas:
Old 07-13-21, 10:39 AM
  #1128  
LAJ
So it is
 
LAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 19,405

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 242 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9209 Post(s)
Liked 2,789 Times in 1,613 Posts
Originally Posted by sshakari View Post
Huge migraines, flu-like symptoms, extremely irritable. I've been drinking it for almost 40 years daily. Coffee has been the toughest to stop. These symptoms could also be because I quit drinking alcohol at the same time.

Now, I feel more awake and refreshed in the morning and don't think about drinking coffee. All of this started with a weekly 36 hour fast.

Interesting. I'm glad it's helping you out.
__________________
Originally Posted by Mojo31 View Post
Thrifty is not always smart.




LAJ is offline  
Likes For LAJ:
Old 07-13-21, 10:48 AM
  #1129  
sshakari
Senior Member
 
sshakari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Tarzana, CA
Posts: 643
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
I don't drink alcohol, well maybe one drink per quarter. I do drink coffee. I suppose I could stop but why?
I stopped coffee for physical reasons (headache, migrane, poor sleep etc) & also wanted to give my liver a break.
sshakari is offline  
Old 07-13-21, 10:50 AM
  #1130  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 35,795

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 502 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15573 Post(s)
Liked 3,522 Times in 1,760 Posts
Originally Posted by sshakari View Post
I stopped coffee for physical reasons (headache, migrane, poor sleep etc) & also wanted to give my liver a break.
That's your choice, but fairly good (but observational) evidence says coffee is good for your health and no good evidence of harm. Not so with alcohol.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Likes For datlas:
Old 07-13-21, 10:57 AM
  #1131  
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chittenango, NY
Posts: 51,555

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 167 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10052 Post(s)
Liked 1,879 Times in 1,162 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
I bet this tastes great on your pies.

https://twitter.com/TODAYshow/status...55087286386701
No
__________________
Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
If this thread doesn't go 10 pages I'm quitting BF.
rjones28 is offline  
Likes For rjones28:
Old 07-13-21, 11:04 AM
  #1132  
sshakari
Senior Member
 
sshakari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Tarzana, CA
Posts: 643
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
That's your choice, but fairly good (but observational) evidence says coffee is good for your health and no good evidence of harm. Not so with alcohol.
indeed!
For me, when I fast its only water for the entire time. Im working up to 7 day fast in the next 3-4 months. Quitting coffee earlier is better as I would not have withdrawals during my fast.
sshakari is offline  
Old 07-13-21, 11:06 AM
  #1133  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 35,516

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 346 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17398 Post(s)
Liked 6,121 Times in 3,153 Posts
I rarely feel like I *need* coffee, though I have an espresso drink or two every day. If I did feel the need, I might be more wary of it.

My wife, though? Yeah, she gets the headaches without her morning dose. Not much of a morning person.
WhyFi is online now  
Old 07-13-21, 11:10 AM
  #1134  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 42,842

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 740 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20036 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 653 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
That's your choice, but fairly good (but observational) evidence says coffee is good for your health and no good evidence of harm. Not so with alcohol.
If that.
Originally Posted by sshakari View Post
Im working up to 7 day fast in the next 3-4 months.
Why?
__________________
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
People here don't get it.
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 07-13-21, 11:10 AM
  #1135  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 35,795

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 502 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15573 Post(s)
Liked 3,522 Times in 1,760 Posts
I got through 80-100 hour work-weeks during residency purely on stress, no coffee.

I now do notice a little lift/boost from my coffee which I only started drinking maybe 10 years ago.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Likes For datlas:
Old 07-13-21, 11:18 AM
  #1136  
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 17,468

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6902 Post(s)
Liked 2,160 Times in 1,155 Posts
Originally Posted by sshakari View Post
On my 30th day without caffeine and no alcohol.
First 2 weeks without coffee was the worst time in my life. Coffee is the toughest habit to kick both mentally and physically. Anyone else?
There is no way I’d give up my morning coffee. One super-strong cup in the morning is essential. Slipping alcohol is fine.
Bah Humbug is offline  
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 07-13-21, 11:19 AM
  #1137  
sshakari
Senior Member
 
sshakari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Tarzana, CA
Posts: 643
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
If that.

Why?
Physical and spiritual. I started fasting in my 20s for mental clarity. I have some bad genes - type 2 diabetes (Im prediabetic no matter what my diet is like), immune disorders etc... Fasting really lowers my blood sugar and supports other inflammatory benefits when in autophagy. I am also able to exercise while fasting, not at 100%


here are the stages of fasting:
The six stages of fasting:
Stage 1: 8-14 hours
• Stable blood sugar levels
• Using up stored sugar and sugar in the blood
• At 10 hours—the muscles use about 50% glucose and 50% fat (you’re starting to transition to fat-burning)

Stage 2: 14-24 hours
• Starting to get into ketosis
• Fewer cravings
• More energy
• Improved mood
• Improved cognitive function

Stage 3: 24-36 hours
• Full ketosis and fat burning
• The liver is making ketones
• Decreased appetite
• Decreased ghrelin
• Increased BDNF (new brain cells)

Stage 4: 36-48 hours
• Autophagy
• Kill cancer cells
• Decreased oxidative stress
• Decreased misfolded proteins
• Increased memory

Stage 5: 48-60 hours
• Insulin sensitivity super boost
• More autophagy
• Less inflammation
• Atrophy healing
• Protein sparing

Stage 6: 60-72 hours
• Immune system regeneration
• Spike in immune stem cells
sshakari is offline  
Old 07-13-21, 11:25 AM
  #1138  
Trsnrtr
Super Moderator
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 20,131

Bikes: Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8510 Post(s)
Liked 1,975 Times in 963 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
I rarely feel like I *need* coffee, though I have an espresso drink or two every day.
Only one or two a day?

I’m pulling a double as I write just to face mowing the lawn.
__________________
Dennis T

Where there is a will, there's a way. Where there is no will, there's an excuse.





Trsnrtr is offline  
Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 07-13-21, 11:31 AM
  #1139  
sshakari
Senior Member
 
sshakari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Tarzana, CA
Posts: 643
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr View Post
Only one or two a day?

I’m pulling a double as I write just to face mowing the lawn.
you don't have a lawn mower?
sshakari is offline  
Old 07-13-21, 11:34 AM
  #1140  
Trsnrtr
Super Moderator
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 20,131

Bikes: Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8510 Post(s)
Liked 1,975 Times in 963 Posts
I talked to my doc several years ago about my severe coffee habit. I do occasionally get palpitations and I’ll back it off for a day or two until they quit but it takes a lot of coffee to get to that point.

Anyway, he thinks that I’m fine with it and as a caffeine addict, know better than anyone how to manage my intake and my excess.
__________________
Dennis T

Where there is a will, there's a way. Where there is no will, there's an excuse.





Trsnrtr is offline  
Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 07-13-21, 11:35 AM
  #1141  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 35,516

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 346 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17398 Post(s)
Liked 6,121 Times in 3,153 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr View Post
Only one or two a day?

I’m pulling a double as I write just to face mowing the lawn.
The average is probably much closer to two than one Recently, I've been making an iced drink with espresso, oat milk and a bit o' maple syrup. Damn - so good!

Oh, and in terms of coffee crap, I'm seriously considering a new grinder. There's a Chinese jobber out there that's being marketed under various names, and it looks quite promising, but I'm also waiting on reviews from a new Eureka that'll be hitting the market in Aug. Both are single dose grinders, which appeals to me in a few ways.
WhyFi is online now  
Old 07-13-21, 11:35 AM
  #1142  
Trsnrtr
Super Moderator
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 20,131

Bikes: Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8510 Post(s)
Liked 1,975 Times in 963 Posts
Originally Posted by sshakari View Post
you don't have a lawn mower?
I have an excellent mower and like all sharp things, I’m an expert.
__________________
Dennis T

Where there is a will, there's a way. Where there is no will, there's an excuse.





Trsnrtr is offline  
Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 07-13-21, 11:39 AM
  #1143  
Trsnrtr
Super Moderator
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 20,131

Bikes: Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8510 Post(s)
Liked 1,975 Times in 963 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
The average is probably much closer to two than one Recently, I've been making an iced drink with espresso, oat milk and a bit o' maple syrup. Damn - so good!

Oh, and in terms of coffee crap, I'm seriously considering a new grinder. There's a Chinese jobber out there that's being marketed under various names, and it looks quite promising, but I'm also waiting on reviews from a new Eureka that'll be hitting the market in Aug. Both are single dose grinders, which appeals to me in a few ways.
Cool! Let me know how it works out. I recently made a WDT from acupuncture needles to break up lumps from my Rocky that I use with decaf beans. Works great, almost better than my Sette.
__________________
Dennis T

Where there is a will, there's a way. Where there is no will, there's an excuse.





Trsnrtr is offline  
Old 07-13-21, 11:48 AM
  #1144  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 42,842

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 740 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20036 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 653 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
No
It's no less appealing than blackberry pie. Which is to say, not at all.

Originally Posted by sshakari View Post
Physical and spiritual. I started fasting in my 20s for mental clarity. I have some bad genes - type 2 diabetes (Im prediabetic no matter what my diet is like), immune disorders etc... Fasting really lowers my blood sugar and supports other inflammatory benefits when in autophagy. I am also able to exercise while fasting, not at 100%
I get maybe doing it for a day or two, to clear out/rest your GI. But beyond that I'm skeptical the pros outweigh the cons. Why would it boost your immune "stem cells," whatever that means?
__________________
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
People here don't get it.
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 07-13-21, 11:48 AM
  #1145  
sshakari
Senior Member
 
sshakari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Tarzana, CA
Posts: 643
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr View Post
I have an excellent mower and like all sharp things, I’m an expert.
knives?
sshakari is offline  
Old 07-13-21, 11:50 AM
  #1146  
sshakari
Senior Member
 
sshakari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Tarzana, CA
Posts: 643
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
It's no less appealing than blackberry pie. Which is to say, not at all.


I get maybe doing it for a day or two, to clear out/rest your GI. But beyond that I'm skeptical the pros outweigh the cons. Why would it boost your immune system?
you can do some research online how fasting "boosts" the immune system. You can also check some of Dr. Bergs vids https://www.youtube.com/c/DrEricBergDC/videos
sshakari is offline  
Old 07-13-21, 11:58 AM
  #1147  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 35,516

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 346 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17398 Post(s)
Liked 6,121 Times in 3,153 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr View Post
Cool! Let me know how it works out. I recently made a WDT from acupuncture needles to break up lumps from my Rocky that I use with decaf beans. Works great, almost better than my Sette.
Where'd you get the needles? I've got a poor man's WDT, but the needles that I have aren't long enough - they're either too thick or not long enough.
WhyFi is online now  
Old 07-13-21, 11:58 AM
  #1148  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 35,516

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 346 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17398 Post(s)
Liked 6,121 Times in 3,153 Posts
Originally Posted by sshakari View Post
knives?
Kitchen?
WhyFi is online now  
Old 07-13-21, 12:03 PM
  #1149  
ksryder
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,545

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1276 Post(s)
Liked 628 Times in 324 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
The average is probably much closer to two than one Recently, I've been making an iced drink with espresso, oat milk and a bit o' maple syrup. Damn - so good!

Oh, and in terms of coffee crap, I'm seriously considering a new grinder. There's a Chinese jobber out there that's being marketed under various names, and it looks quite promising, but I'm also waiting on reviews from a new Eureka that'll be hitting the market in Aug. Both are single dose grinders, which appeals to me in a few ways.
My coffee snobbishness and my cheap bastard-ness are always fighting. I like good beans from the local co-op and I've settled on a French Press as my method of choice in the morning (right balance between convenience and quality for me) but I made do with a sub-par grinder for years because I just couldn't bring myself to spring for the more well-regarded burr grinders.

Anyway someone gifted me a Cuisinart automatic electric burr grinder a few years ago with adjustable amounts and grind levels and if I ever get divorced it's the only thing I'm taking with me. (I'm kidding, I'll take the dogs too. Plus all the bikes. But other than that...)
ksryder is offline  
Likes For ksryder:
Old 07-13-21, 12:05 PM
  #1150  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 35,795

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 502 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15573 Post(s)
Liked 3,522 Times in 1,760 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder View Post
My coffee snobbishness and my cheap bastard-ness are always fighting. I like good beans from the local co-op and I've settled on a French Press as my method of choice in the morning (right balance between convenience and quality for me) but I made do with a sub-par grinder for years because I just couldn't bring myself to spring for the more well-regarded burr grinders.

Anyway someone gifted me a Cuisinart automatic electric burr grinder a few years ago with adjustable amounts and grind levels and if I ever get divorced it's the only thing I'm taking with me. (I'm kidding, I'll take the dogs too. Plus all the bikes. But other than that...)
Another French Press fan here. The quality is quite good but the hassle factor is medium to high. On days that I am busy/working I wimp out and drink drip. On non-work days we use the French Press.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.