Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is my Garmin dying?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Is my Garmin dying?

Old 07-14-21, 02:53 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
Is my Garmin dying?

I have an Edge 200. Basic, but all I really need. Actually, I have two. One I bought 5 yrs ago and this one about 1-2 yrs ago. Anyway, it has worked fine until about two weeks ago. Here's the problem....if I am climbing on a steep climb and get near 5 mph, it will read 0.0 mph and go on Pause. I've also seen it read 10 mph when I'm around 20 mph. Has anyone had this happen. Is it time to just bin it?
Old 07-14-21, 04:22 PM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
I have an Edge 200. Basic, but all I really need. Actually, I have two. One I bought 5 yrs ago and this one about 1-2 yrs ago. Anyway, it has worked fine until about two weeks ago. Here's the problem....if I am climbing on a steep climb and get near 5 mph, it will read 0.0 mph and go on Pause. I've also seen it read 10 mph when I'm around 20 mph. Has anyone had this happen. Is it time to just bin it?
Are you using the GPS to measure speed or the sensor it comes with? What speed is your auto pause set on? The good news is that if you have to bin it, the 530 is on sale right now because there is a new version coming out.
Likes For Pizzaiolo Americano:
Old 07-14-21, 05:24 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Sounds like gps glitches. Sometimes those have nothing to do with the unit. If it happens a lot, maybe.

Don't bin it, call Garmin, see if they can do anything, maybe they'll replace it cheap and you'll have a present for a cyclist in your life. 🙂
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 07-14-21, 05:37 PM
bahula03

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
Are you using a wheel speed sensor with the one that's acting up, or both of them? If so, it may be helpful to either swap the wheel speed sensors or disable the sensor in the Edge to try and isolate the problem.
Old 07-14-21, 06:06 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by bahula03
Are you using a wheel speed sensor with the one that's acting up, or both of them? If so, it may be helpful to either swap the wheel speed sensors or disable the sensor in the Edge to try and isolate the problem.
No wheel sensor involved. GPS.
Old 07-14-21, 06:10 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
I’ve had this happen with my Edge 500 on a regular basis. IIRC it happened irregardless of cloud cover/tree cover or line of site to the sky. I “fixed” it by “upgrading” to using the wheel sensor. I haven’t had this problem with any of my Edges before or after my 500.
Old 07-15-21, 08:11 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 3,300 Posts
As someone else mentioned, check what your auto-pause is set to. With my Garmin Edge 500 I used to have it autopause ever so briefly when I was doing 20 mph plus. That was when auto-pause was set to zero mph. For whatever reason, setting auto-pause to when <3 mph solved my issue and it never happened again in the subsequent 10 years of use.
Old 07-15-21, 10:27 AM
Oso Polar

Bikes: Trek 3500, Jamis Renegade Escapade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 43 Posts
Sounds like an autopause issue + GPS reception. Anyway, you'll *never* get reliable speed measurement without a sensor, so if you are really interested in your correct speed, you'll need to get one.
Old 07-15-21, 11:21 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
Check if Garmin has a firmware update available. My ancient eTrex Vista was acting funky for a long time (random time/date display, difficulty locking into satellites, etc.) and it got so annoying I stopped using it for a long time. Then I thought to check for firmware update; sure enough, there was one only a couple years old. I installed that, and the unit has been working well since then.