Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Do you replace your rim strip regularly?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Do you replace your rim strip regularly?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-21, 11:35 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Use Velox and forget about it......................
Old 07-15-21, 12:14 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Velox. If you're using tubes. As some others have stated, it has a mild adhesive backing, it will stay put, and when INSTALLING tires use your hands or a bead jack, no levers.
Old 07-15-21, 12:26 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Originally Posted by frogman
Use Velox and forget about it......................
I've been moving away from Velox. It has some advantages including a sticky backing. However, it is much thicker than many of the other rim tapes, and harder to reuse.

It may be easier to mount tires with some of the plastic or fiber/plastic rim strips.

I also have Velocity VeloPlugs on a couple of wheels. They are very minimalistic, but will migrate if one has off center drilling of the holes, or have issues with holes in a narrow groove.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 07-15-21, 12:30 AM
hydrocarbon

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Rim tape can go bad. This was off of Mom's bike a couple of years ago. It probably was 40 years old.

I agree with @hydrocarbon, a failure at the valve is unlikely a rim tape problem. You may choose to deburr the valve hole. It should only take a few minutes with perhaps a chainsaw file and piece of sandpaper.

Make sure your valve is exactly perpendicular to the rim. If it is angled a bit, you can let the air out and carefully slide the tire until it is back straight.

Sometimes if a tire is underinflated, the tire will slide sightly and angle the valve again. So, a bad valve could be a secondary sign of a different flat.

Other than the rim tape above that absolutely disintegrated, my most common reason to replace rim tape is the rubber stiff that breaks at the valve.
Ha, cool! Yeah, some plastic compounds can definitely embrittle over time. Rubber and cloth, too; I've serviced bikes from the '70s where the strip has fallen apart or rotted. Nothing lasts forever, but tubes and tires get changed often enough that I'm happy enough to simply inspect the strips whenever I'm replacing those.

In my experience so far, the better-quality tough-plastic stuff seems pretty close to immortal, but the oldest wheelset I have with the original strips of this type still on it is only 20 years old. No signs of degradation yet, though!
Old 07-15-21, 12:45 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Originally Posted by hydrocarbon
Nothing lasts forever, but tubes and tires get changed often enough that I'm happy enough to simply inspect the strips whenever I'm replacing those.
The problem with Mom's bike was that it was hanging in a dry garage for about 20 years. There may have been some weather checking on the tires, but the tubes were still good. So I expected to be able to pump up the tires and it would be good to go. And it did hold air for a while (I think I had already bought, but not installed, new tires by the time I found the bad tape).
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 07-15-21, 04:19 AM
ARider2

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
I don't change a rim strip unless it is damaged. I inspect the rim strip when I repair a flat and change only if needed.
Old 07-15-21, 10:36 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
Generally if I am replacing a tire due to wear and the rim strip looks a bit haggard I would replace and certainly would replace rubber rim strips more often but cloth stuff like Velox or Newbuams or the high pressure strips from Continental not so much.
Old 07-30-21, 07:52 PM
Keefusb
Keefusb

Bikes: 60cm 1992 Paramount, 60cm 1995 Cannondale R900 (son's bike), 1994 Cannondale H300 (mine), 1994 Cannondale H300 Killer V (wife's bike), 60 cm 1989 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra SLX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts
I prefer the yellow Pedros rim tape. It's thinner, stickier, and made out of some sort of man-made textile that sheds water and doesn't rot.