Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What's Up with Conti Tires Blowing Sidewalls?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What's Up with Conti Tires Blowing Sidewalls?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-21, 09:40 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
I have some Conti tires that are 5 years old now and still fine (though getting near the end of life but just age and wear not blowing up. People seem to have problems with certain tires that I don't think are common you may hear about them because those with issues tend to be more vocal then the mass of us quieter folks who run them just fine with no issues or at least not issues as a result of the tire (I did get a piece of glass in one during a rainstorm but I could hardly blame that on Conti.
Old 07-15-21, 10:44 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Looks like in the first picture, the tyre is mounted on a (super) wide rim. That Will expose the side wall more to road debris compared to a narrower rim tucking in the side wall behind the thread.
Old 07-16-21, 02:15 AM
Racing Dan

Old 07-16-21, 02:36 AM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1528 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Originally Posted by sfrider
Definitely keep them away from large debris like rocks. I've had 4000's (though never 5000's) "herniated" where there is marginal sidewall damage, just enough for a bulge. I consider that a complete loss and I replace the tire.
Yep, although the GP has been my favourite tyre since the 90s, part of the reason has the flipside of sidewall vulnerability. If you want a fast and grippy tyre, it's gotta be supple.
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 07-16-21, 05:02 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Check for resin flashing at the rim bead.....or adjust your brake pads to address photo 2. Photo 1 is the price of riding over junk on supple, fast tires.

https://www.velonews.com/gear/techni...-the-pyrenees/
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 07-16-21, 08:39 AM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by danallen
I have had no trouble on Continental 4000 Grand Prix Sii tires. However, was just reading tire reviews on Continental 5000 Grand Prix and Gator Skins, and there is recurring pattern of tires blowing sidewalls or beads, while still almost new. Not everybody, but not just one guy either.

The people say they have been riding for years without this happening.

What say you?

Faulty tires a certain percentage of the time?

Hit something they didn't know they hit?

Installed wrong?

There has to be a reason. Is there a best likely guess?
I used to ride the GP4000 series, I noticed they have no sidewall protection, the sidewall and along bead looked minimal to me, so not surprised you have had problems with them. I threw out the Conti and threw out the spare I had.

I ride Kenda now, the one I have now is lighter than the GP4000 but it's lasted me a few years now and zero punctures. Kenda have full width protection, the entire sidewall. Love em, best part of Kenda, cheaper than Conti but a large margin.
Old 07-16-21, 10:37 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3428 Post(s)
Liked 3,565 Times in 1,791 Posts
Originally Posted by zymphad
I ride Kenda now, the one I have now is lighter than the GP4000 but it's lasted me a few years now and zero punctures. Kenda have full width protection, the entire sidewall. Love em, best part of Kenda, cheaper than Conti but a large margin.
A single bicycle tire has lasted you a few years?!

Either that tire is made out of vibranium, or you don't ride much.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 07-16-21, 01:57 PM
Racing Dan

How much is "much" or "not a lot"?

My current gravel/commuter tyres are on their second year. Not sure about mileage, but "a lot" :-) ( thick thread, tough compound)
Old 07-16-21, 02:19 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3428 Post(s)
Liked 3,565 Times in 1,791 Posts
Originally Posted by zymphad;22143944I ride Kenda now, the [b
one I have now is lighter than the GP4000[/b] but it's lasted me a few years now and zero punctures. Kenda have full width protection, the entire sidewall. Love em, best part of Kenda, cheaper than Conti but a large margin.
Originally Posted by terrymorse
A single bicycle tire has lasted you a few years?!
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
My current gravel/commuter tyres are on their second year. Not sure about mileage, but "a lot" :-) ( thick thread, tough compound)
Guessing that your gravel/commuter tires are considerably heavier than the GP4000.

Old 07-16-21, 07:52 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
The GP's ride as nice as they do is because of the supple sidewalls. If debris is a problem you can't see then they are not for you. I understand there are even better riding tires out there but I suspect they my be just as vul. What I don't understand is riding a nice bike on crappy tires.
Old 07-16-21, 09:28 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,637 Times in 2,921 Posts
Had a sidewall blowout on my 5000 Tls with 500 miles on them. Saw glass sparkling on the shoulder ahead, and swung into the road to avoid it. About 60 seconds later - pssssssssssssst. Must have picked some of it up rather than just a random failure. The hole was so large I had to tube it.

Old 07-17-21, 10:40 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Had a sidewall blowout on my 5000 Tls with 500 miles on them. Saw glass sparkling on the shoulder ahead, and swung into the road to avoid it. About 60 seconds later - pssssssssssssst. Must have picked some of it up rather than just a random failure. The hole was so large I had to tube it.
Did you plug it? Sometime even two dynaplugs can fit in a hole and seal it
Old 07-17-21, 09:28 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,637 Times in 2,921 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
Did you plug it? Sometime even two dynaplugs can fit in a hole and seal it
the hole was about 1/2” so I put a tube in the case and booted the hole. I have plugged smaller holes

Old 07-18-21, 08:48 AM
GBK233

Bikes: 2020 Giant Advanced 2, 2020 Giant Contend AR1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 34 Posts
I had a side wall tear in my Conti 4-seasons last month. Assumed it was a sharp rock. Didn’t get a flat….just noticed the tube bulging out the hole when I was cleaning the bike. In hindsight, maybe a blowout?
Sewed the hole/tear and put a HD radial tire patch on the inside. Tire works fine now.
Old 07-21-21, 04:56 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
The one time I had a sidewall issue was with the Conti GP 4000 but I am pretty sure it was my fault. We know those sidewalls are paper thin. I was coming down a fast downhill and suddenly realize that the upcoming sharp turn was a decreasing radius and off-camber one...my scariest combo. So I lean the bike over even more and try to make it through without hitting the brakes. Well, I may have feathered it a bit since I feel the rear starting to slide (while really leaned over) and I thought I could still control it but then...BAM!! The tube blew through a hole in the sidewall about an inch long. Of course, I went down in a split second, it seemed. Then I rolled down the hillside but just for maybe 15 ft. I tried to blame it on the tire, but the tire was having none of it. I eventually patched it with a GU gel pack, got it to maybe 30 PSI which was all it would take without building through the hole again, sat on the toptube, and mostly coasted till the next town where I caught the bus all bloodied up. I saw slight abrasion/scrape marks around the hole so I knew it was user error. Watch those sidewalls...they are super thin and it was a good lesson for me. I still hate that turn and no more flying through it.