Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Campy cassettes

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Campy cassettes

Old 07-16-21, 04:34 AM
jacksbike

Bikes: Trek 7.5 Hybrid, Trek 1.1 Road, Holdsworth touring,Raleigh International,Ritchey Commando,Italvega Speciallissimo,et.al.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Campy cassettes

Hi Folks,
Has anyone heard of Campy discontinuing their 10 speed cassettes ? Thanks.
Old 07-16-21, 06:14 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 403 Posts
Why do you ask? Why 10, not 11 or 9 speed? Just as it did in the US, the cycling market exploded in Europe due to the Pandemic so there may be isolated shortages of supply?
Old 07-16-21, 08:07 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
You could contact Campy, they should know the answer. Official Support Area Campagnolo
Old 07-16-21, 07:46 PM
jacksbike

Bikes: Trek 7.5 Hybrid, Trek 1.1 Road, Holdsworth touring,Raleigh International,Ritchey Commando,Italvega Speciallissimo,et.al.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
Why do you ask? Why 10, not 11 or 9 speed? Just as it did in the US, the cycling market exploded in Europe due to the Pandemic so there may be isolated shortages of supply?
I am asking because a close friend of mine who has a carbon frame bike with a Campy 10 speed cassette had heard that Campy was discontinuing them and wanted to know if he should buy one before they were gone. That's why !
Old 07-16-21, 08:22 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked 3,944 Times in 2,637 Posts
Originally Posted by jacksbike
I am asking because a close friend of mine who has a carbon frame bike with a Campy 10 speed cassette had heard that Campy was discontinuing them and wanted to know if he should buy one before they were gone. That's why !
Did this friend contact Campagnolo or just heard something somewhere with nothing to back it up? People say all sorts of things especially now during the pandemic when parts are near impossible to source and our wells are quickly drying up. I would doubt Campy is not going to make their cassettes.
Old 07-16-21, 08:56 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 403 Posts
Stopping cassette manufacturing sound blatantly implausible for a major manufacturer, lower volume items would be shed long before cassettes. Even if it did I have use BBB and Miche Campagnolo compatible cassette and know IRD and Ambrosia make Shimano splined cassette with Campagnolo spaced cogs. No worries.
Old 07-17-21, 04:47 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
If your friend is going to ride old equipment that isn't in a manufacturer's current line up, he better learn how to hoard parts. I ride Campagnolo 10 on almost all my rides (a dozen or so) and I keep a stock pile of consumables that includes chains and cassettes. Yes there are other options for Campagnolo "compatible" cassettes but they aren't the same as Campagnolo in terms of performance.
Old 07-17-21, 08:01 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by jacksbike
Hi Folks,
Has anyone heard of Campy discontinuing their 10 speed cassettes ? Thanks.
based on my own experience, 10-speed cassettes are becoming thinner on the ground. You can still find them, but not always the full range, and only in the lower-end groups - Veloce, for example. If you need something like Record or Chorus, NOS on eBay might be the best option. Chain Reaction or Sprockets UK are pretty good for older Campag stuff. I’m committed to 10sp for the foreseeable, so I have at least a couple of new Veloce cassettes in my parts box to future-proof myself for a while, and as soon as I install one of those, I’ll shop around for a replacement.