Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

They are spelled - B R A K E S

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

They are spelled - B R A K E S

Old 07-20-21, 07:50 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
Gear is a MUCH better word. Kit is a bit too cute for my taste. Gosh.. I'm so "continental" as I frequently use the word, kit. "Kit" usage came from the EU(UK)..and should have stayed there.

Gear and gears is only confused by those where English is not their first language. A non-(native) English speaker often uses "equipments" where "equipment" is the correct choice. Non-native English speakers being confused by English is normal (as are those speaking many foreign, to them, languages)

So if your objection is that it's "too cute" and apparently, too British, we are really differing on esthetic grounds and there really is no point in arguing taste. I don't see the stretch from "tool kit" (a very familiar phrase to Americans) to "cycling kit" as anything significant, and I also don't think one has to be a non-native speaker to mishear "gears" for "gear" in conversation.

You want to get me started on an unnecessary, pretentious borrow-word, mention "bidon".
Old 07-20-21, 07:58 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Thread is borked

Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 07-20-21, 08:08 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
Gear is a MUCH better word. Kit is a bit too cute for my taste. Gosh.. I'm so "continental" as I frequently use the word, kit. "Kit" usage came from the EU(UK)..and should have stayed there.

Gear and gears is only confused by those where English is not their first language. A non-(native) English speaker often uses "equipments" where "equipment" is the correct choice. Non-native English speakers being confused by English is normal (as are those speaking many foreign, to them, languages)
"Equipment" v. "equipments" may come from vehicle engineering. As one a dem, we might say "the vehicle is equipped with several (guess what?) equipments," then we would go on at length to mansplain them. At the same time it isn't grammatically wrong to say "the driver is provided with useful equipment of several types," for example (with or without mansplaining).

BTW just to be fair, female engineers also mansplain, when necessary.
Likes For Road Fan:
Old 07-20-21, 08:21 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Thread is borked

Please find more reasons to post Krazy Kat. I mean it sincerely!
Old 07-20-21, 08:27 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Road Fan
"Equipment" v. "equipments" may come from vehicle engineering. As one a dem, we might say "the vehicle is equipped with several (guess what?) equipments," then we would go on at length to mansplain them. At the same time it isn't grammatically wrong to say "the driver is provided with useful equipment of several types," for example (with or without mansplaining).

BTW just to be fair, female engineers also mansplain, when necessary.

Then I think that's properly called "neersplaining".

A google search found no results.
Can I get credit for the coinage? It saves several letters, and I think it's funnier than "engineersplaining".
Old 07-20-21, 08:45 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10243 Post(s)
Liked 11,596 Times in 5,943 Posts

Oh, then you'll LOVE how my wife occasionally refers to my kit as my 'bike togs'!

Gear vs gears, eh? "What gear are you in?"
Do you answer, "Pearl Izumi," or "52 x 17."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-20-21, 08:52 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I don't agree with you on kit, That's a perfectly understandable word that covers all cycling gear and equipment that is on the bike other than the bike itself, so it covers clothing, accessories, tools, bottles, etc. That's a lot of work accomplished for a three letter word, and I don't see any reason that the only practical alternative, which is "gear", would be preferable, especially as that may get confused with "gears".

"Price point" is exactly as you describe it, you explained it better than I did. There's a lot of synonyms, like "market segment", "class", etc. It definitely conveys more than the word "price" by itself. It's a perfectly good phrase that is actually useful. It's a way of comparing like products in a segmented market.
This isn't really about cars, but they are good examples of product segmentation or stratification.

The distinctions among Corolla, Camry, Avalon are largely a matter of size. Interior and running gear are largely the same or same architecture, sized up or down to control the weight and power of a bigger or smaller car. Smaller cars are cheaper, and hence more basic in gadgets and experience, but I think "level" more pertinently refers to Toyota versus Lexus, for example Camry versus ES330. Here the Lexus ES has a very similar body-in-white (basic welded body structure), but is equipped with more soundproofing, vibration suppression, adaptive suspension, and various stuff in the interior to improve the task of driving, collision survivability, collision avoidance, comfort and freedom from fatigue. Another example is Chevrolet versus Cadillac (despite the K-car fiasco).

For bikes at least in the C&V world, it would be Raleigh Super Course versus Raleigh International, for example. Interesting that Masi USA only built one product, basically, with some year over year refinements and incremental improvements.

Last edited by Road Fan; 07-20-21 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-20-21, 08:54 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
It's spelled "Didactic"
And "Pedantic" ... which pretty much applies to each of us detail-oriented types, in such discussions.

Of course, electronic "typing" and spell-check tools have rendered the age-old task of actually proofreading and editing things nearly obsolete. Heck, these days, even the NY Times, Washington Post and LA Times seem to have fallen down that hole, skipping over the basic proofreading. (Which only prods the second-stringers like us to be even less attentive.)

Gotta love the modern world, sometimes.

A great read, for some, on the flip-side of the spelling coin: Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero-Tolerance Approach to Punctuation, by Lynne Truss.
Old 07-20-21, 08:56 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by genejockey

Damn, that's good!
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-20-21, 09:01 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10243 Post(s)
Liked 11,596 Times in 5,943 Posts
Damn, that's good!
Thanks! I'm here all week!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-20-21, 09:01 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
And then there's pronunciation.

Say ...

February -- all too often spoken like "febwary"
Quarter -- frequently spoken as "korter"
Jewelry -- seemingly almost always spoken as "joolery"
Twenty -- "twenny"
Going to -- "gunna" or "gonna"
Have to / Got to -- "gotta"

We could all just re-watch the Charlie Brown animated shorts, and re-dedicate ourselves to speaking like the muffled teacher in the distance: "Waa, waa-aa-a-a-wwaaa? Wa wwwaaaaa, aaaah, wa-wa-ahhh, wa wa."

Could be worse. We could devolve to grunting, not looking at one another and lashing out when asked a question. Oh, wait ...
Old 07-20-21, 09:32 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
O
Ya..sigh....and I can come back with an equally pithy response pointing out how this analogy fails miserably..but, in the end..I don't care and discussing it further is a waste of time. I have my simple bibs, t-shirt, and shoes on and I'm about to go out for a ride(everyday is Saturday..such is retirement). As for me, I'll leave the kit and colorway world to itself. To some they'll be unique cutting-edge trendy hipsters and to others they'll be..something else. Everyone has opinions..it's how the world works. Be whatever you want to be and call it what you like.
Likes For fishboat:
Old 07-20-21, 09:45 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Then I think that's properly called "neersplaining".

A google search found no results.
Can I get credit for the coinage? It saves several letters, and I think it's funnier than "engineersplaining".
It's called condescending. Which means to talk down to. Engineers did it before it was cool
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 07-20-21, 09:58 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Watching my kids learn to speak and spell has been frustrating all over again. English has a lot of sounds that are redundant because of the remnants of multiple languages, Greek and Latin especially. "GH" might make an F sound or be silent and it depends on which country you're in, there's a bunch of words that end with "mb" and the b is silent, one of C, K, Q, and S is redundant but not clear which, ch and sh and j sounds, etc etc.

So give people a brake. It is hard. Especially with auto-correct making wrong assumptions about our hobby language.
Old 07-20-21, 11:33 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Road Fan
This isn't really about cars, but they are good examples of product segmentation or stratification.

The distinctions among Corolla, Camry, Avalon are largely a matter of size. Interior and running gear are largely the same or same architecture, sized up or down to control the weight and power of a bigger or smaller car. Smaller cars are cheaper, and hence more basic in gadgets and experience, but I think "level" more pertinently refers to Toyota versus Lexus, for example Camry versus ES330. Here the Lexus ES has a very similar body-in-white (basic welded body structure), but is equipped with more soundproofing, vibration suppression, adaptive suspension, and various stuff in the interior to improve the task of driving, collision survivability, collision avoidance, comfort and freedom from fatigue. Another example is Chevrolet versus Cadillac (despite the K-car fiasco).

For bikes at least in the C&V world, it would be Raleigh Super Course versus Raleigh International, for example. Interesting that Masi USA only built one product, basically, with some year over year refinements and incremental improvements.
Cars are too big a rabbit hole for me because I'm really not a fan, but I think an example of the way price point can be used is to compare a.vehicle of one type to another , like an SUV, to a luxury sedan at the same price point. That's probably going to be a comparison on who the vehicle is being marketed to more than anything abut the vehicle per se.
Old 07-20-21, 11:35 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

It's called condescending. Which means to talk down to. Engineers did it before it was cool

Defining "condescending"! You win the internets today.
Old 07-20-21, 01:11 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Ya..sigh....and I can come back with an equally pithy response pointing out how this analogy fails miserably.
Calling that bluff...

First of all, there's no analogy, there's a clear example of an ambiguity.

Second, I'm thinking if you could have come up with this "equally pithy response pointing out" the failure, you would have. He's quite right, "in gear" would be completely ambiguous if it were the common word for bike clothes.

Here's the deal with this game--when we say "people shouldn't use ____ because....", we're all being at least a little snotty to people who do use it that way. I freely admit I do that, btw, so I expect to get at least a little argument from the people who use the term. What I don't get to do is to say "this is a waste of time" with a sigh when I'm the guy who brought it up and they make a really good argument for the term they use and I have no good answer.
Old 07-20-21, 01:48 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
Calling that bluff...

First of all, there's no analogy, there's a clear example of an ambiguity.

Second, I'm thinking if you could have come up with this "equally pithy response pointing out" the failure, you would have. He's quite right, "in gear" would be completely ambiguous if it were the common word for bike clothes.

Here's the deal with this game--when we say "people shouldn't use ____ because....", we're all being at least a little snotty to people who do use it that way. I freely admit I do that, btw, so I expect to get at least a little argument from the people who use the term. What I don't get to do is to say "this is a waste of time" with a sigh when I'm the guy who brought it up and they make a really good argument for the term they use and I have no good answer.
Mostly, as ample data suggests, you like to argue.
Not playing that game. Slice and dice whatever you like, however you like. Dictate rules to the clouds. ..I don't care.
(put me on your ignore list..that'll show me!)
bye.
Old 07-20-21, 01:51 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Mostly, as ample data suggests, you like to argue.
Not playing that game. Slice and dice whatever you like, however you like. Dictate rules to the clouds. ..I don't care.
(put me on your ignore list..that'll show me!)
bye.

Pack up your troubles in your old kit bag, and smile, smile, smile....
Old 07-20-21, 04:27 PM
RichSPK

Bikes: Dawes Lightning DLX, 1988 Klein Performance, 1991 Peugeot Safari, 1985 Raleigh Alyeska, Carrera Phantom, 1973 Raleigh Record

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 91 Posts
I remember when computer typefaces were sans descenders. Now, they're almost universally condescenders.
Old 07-20-21, 05:15 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4831 Post(s)
Liked 7,821 Times in 3,705 Posts
Originally Posted by Clyde1820
Could be worse. We could devolve to grunting, not looking at one another and lashing out when asked a question. Oh, wait ...
So...like a teenager? No, thanks. Already got one.
Old 07-21-21, 12:49 PM
Just Mark

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 2019 Cannondale Synopse 105 SE, 2015 Cannondale Quick 5, 2019 Specialized Fatboy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 26 Posts
So, what is this peeve many of you have as pets?
Old 07-21-21, 12:52 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Just Mark
So, what is this peeve many of you have as pets?

I've yet to see a feral peeve.
Old 07-21-21, 02:16 PM
shrtdstncrdr

Bikes: Trek Millennia, Trek 400, Raleigh Superbe, Giant OCR3, Bianchi Milano

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
Suh-pose-uhblee

Oh my god when I hear that one I want to gnaw a tree branch or something.

When I was a kid my mom tried to teach me English and finally handed me an English dictionary. Eventually I had a collection of various versions. What surprised me was how different each could be in esoteric circumstances.
Likes For shrtdstncrdr:
Old 08-02-21, 06:42 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531
This needed a thread.

OR...

Only the first letter of a sentence is capitalized.

OR...

Sentences should end with some form of punctuation, generally a period.

OR...

When eliminating part of a word an apostrophe should be used.

OR...

This is three minutes of my life I'll never get back.

'Nuff said.
'Nuff with the sarcasm and help me with my hydrogarlic breaks. Yippee - this took 30 only seconds!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.