Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Does politics, culture or nationalism influence your vintage bike collection?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Does politics, culture or nationalism influence your vintage bike collection?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-20, 11:12 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by aland2
Germany was never a cycling nation.

Really?
Likes For merziac:
Old 12-02-20, 12:08 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 535 Posts
@Wilwood, I agree, the Italians win!
Tim
Old 12-02-20, 01:07 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
With us, it was wagons, with a little brother forced to ride, scared stiff.
I was a little brother strapped into the wagon and rolled into the street 1/2 naked on Halloween. It was a 'joke'. Tough growing up in a tough, poor neighborhood when you are th little kid. But that was '50s, long enough ago to forget.
Old 12-12-20, 09:01 AM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by Nemosengineer
I admire the French for going their own way as far as engineering and style goes, after all they invented the metric system and Paris where the world goes to get their freak on.
The Italians gave us art, design, Enzo, Ernesto, Tullio, and some really good looking suits.
England proved you really can have world domination ran from a small island. The home of James Bond 007, Austin Powers, and the real Mini Cooper. First they invented the industrial revolution then they invented the bodge.
The United States had a pair of bicycle mechanics named Orville and Wilbur that built the first controllable airplane and possibly invented the kludge (see bodge) then we went to the moon.
So in the grand scheme of things we all accomplished this together and in some significant way the bicycle helped us along.
I love all bicycles.
Austin Powers is Canadian.
Old 12-12-20, 12:12 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,183 Posts
Originally Posted by Nemosengineer
I admire the French for going their own way as far as engineering and style goes, after all they invented the metric system and Paris where the world goes to get their freak on.
The Italians gave us art, design, Enzo, Ernesto, Tullio, and some really good looking suits.
England proved you really can have world domination ran from a small island. The home of James Bond 007, Austin Powers, and the real Mini Cooper. First they invented the industrial revolution then they invented the bodge.
The United States had a pair of bicycle mechanics named Orville and Wilbur that built the first controllable airplane and possibly invented the kludge (see bodge) then we went to the moon.
So in the grand scheme of things we all accomplished this together and in some significant way the bicycle helped us along.
I love all bicycles.

: Mike
I draw the line at interstellar purchases, so no "Mars" for me!

Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 12-12-20, 12:42 PM
Shp4man

Bikes: 1989 Schwinn World Sport. 1994 Diamond Back Response Elite MTB. 1964 Schwinn Typhoon. 1974 Bridgestone Sprinter, 2015 Scott Sub 10 Citybike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1688 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 37 Posts
Communist China is controversial these days and also the source of most modern bicycle production. I have one modern bike, and have to say I don't particularly like the "Made in China" sticker on it very much. But such is life.
Old 12-12-20, 01:14 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
+1
Especially at a party with British Royal Marines and Australians.
I don’t even know what we were drinking. It didn’t really matter.
It was kind of blue. We called it Aqua Velva.
Sounds like Bombay Gin. I despise gin.

As for the initial question... just a little bit. Not a fan of Soviet block equipment, but my concern is more of the dubious quality than anything else, but I have never been a fan of Soviet/Russian policies either.
Old 07-20-21, 09:45 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
As this thread was mentioned in my thread, I thought I'd chime in. Nationalism, no. Politics, a little bit I suppose: I'd prefer not to buy from countries that are communist (China). Cultural, yes: I like the French and French bikes.

Mostly though, I gravitate toward bikes that are C&V, my size, and made with Reynolds 531, regardless of country of origin. Decent fork rake is often a determining factor. Not as picky about components, but I really like Suntour stuff and friction shifting.

Having said this, my next bike will probably be an American-made custom (specifically Oregon) or an Alex Singer. Tentatively planning a trip to France during the Tour in 2022.
Likes For johnnyace:
Old 07-20-21, 06:16 PM
garryg

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 141 Posts
Like the Canadian bikes eh!
Likes For garryg:
Old 07-20-21, 07:14 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Originally Posted by Mogens
As a native Wisconsinite, I have an eye out for Wisconsin-made bikes. I only have one at the moment, a Trek, but I think if I were to become a 'collector' that would be the focus of my interest.
It's Trek or an Ellis. I recommend Ellis, because Dave has mad skills as a builder.

To the original question... While I admit to severe skepticism about eastern European manufacturing competence, I also admit to a personal bias towards nations that have a history of cycling prominence - be it from manufacturing or race performance, English, French and Italian bicycles get more consideration than others.

Last edited by USAZorro; 07-20-21 at 07:24 PM.
Old 07-20-21, 07:27 PM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
I prefer to buy from places where there are labor laws that get enforced and maybe even unions.
Likes For randallr:
Old 07-20-21, 07:34 PM
mitchito

Bikes: 1948 Humber, 1956 Raleigh, 1957 Rigby Bros, 1950s Hercules Renown,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
The truth is , politics is in everhthin g I do except my hobbies so I like to keep it that way. I like oddball bikes, cars and motorcycles. Why have what everyone else has if you can have something else
Old 07-20-21, 08:58 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
I'll buy a bike made anywhere, but I recognize I can sell ones made in USA/Italy/Japan/France easier because of it.

Of the ~12 or so keepers in my collection, 2 are Chinese ti, a couple Taiwanese steel, a couple US, and the rest Brits.

I don't look at American made bikes as being automatically anything special as a buyer. A custom builder like Rodriguez or a small-scale builder like Romic would appeal to me where as any post '77 Trek or non-Paramount Schwinn is just another mass-produced item.

Last edited by Dylansbob; 07-20-21 at 09:02 PM.
Old 07-21-21, 02:46 AM
cgoroo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good question; I noticed that once I stopped caring, I've poured more money into my collection.
Old 07-21-21, 07:31 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I'll say that culture influences my bike purchases and interests, sure.

I got into c&v due to my interest in the globalization of manufacturing within the industry. Japan was a major manufacturer of goods when i was growing up and so ive always geeked on road bikes from Japan from the 70s and 80s.

its really simple and nothing more complex.
^This is nearly identical to the post I had been contemplating after reading question in the original post. I guess that I'm a decade or so older, so my influences were the late 1960s to early 1970s bike boom. Japan had barely emerged in the U.S. market, but European manufacturers were going strong. This timing allowed me to see quite a few Dutch, English, French and Italian bikes. Many of my friends rode French bikes, as did I. So, I have a certain romanticism about those times as an early teen.

As to other aspects, not really. I do enjoy the Japanese bikes from the 70s and 80s, though.
Old 07-21-21, 08:38 AM
Mogens

Bikes: 2019 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105, 1973 Raleigh Gran Sports, 1984 Calvino Palomar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
It's Trek or an Ellis. I recommend Ellis, because Dave has mad skills as a builder.
Whoa. Those are some beautiful frames...
Old 07-21-21, 01:50 PM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,048 Times in 543 Posts
Just saw this thread and it’s interesting and great to see it remain civil.

My mid 80s Schwinn with Columbus Tenax tubing, Suntour drive train and Mavic wheels is probably the best riding bike I have. Zero nationalism on that machine.

I grew up in Hawaii and learned a VERY deep respect for Japanese culture and their attention to details makes every other country seem lazy and inattentive. I have 2 Nishikis but that is mostly by accident. I have been eyeing modern bikes (THE HORROR!!) and some of Fuji’s bikes have caught my eye but that’s because they have great components and fit my budget. I have also been eyeing a Specialized Allez and will show my profound ignorance and say that I have no idea where they come from. Taiwan?

At the end of the day, Italy does it for me and the biggest factor is culture on levels beyond cycling. I worked as a chef in fancy-ish Italian restaurants for a dozen years, my wine of adoration is Barolo, I am a diehard Ferrari fan in F1 despite their peculiarities and I have owned an Alfa Romeo and a Fiat and they are the cars I remember most fondly. Ironically I have little desire to own a modern high-end Italian bike since they are way more sport/competition focused than I am. My old Legnanos are just dandy even though old Campy derailleurs are crappy.

Finally, I love my old Raleigh 3 speed and there is no substitute for a Brooks saddle.