Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Drop bar single speed

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Drop bar single speed

Old 07-18-21, 05:29 PM
Dominae

Bikes: Trek Checkpoint; Cannondale Super X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 22 Posts
Drop bar single speed

A university where I graduated and now work is interested in resurrecting an annual bike race it used to hold which is much like Indiana University’s Little 500. We will need to purchase 40 or 50 single speed drop bar bikes, preferably with coaster brakes. The Little 500 uses Schwinns which are specially made just for the Little 500. I have not been able to find comparable bikes from any other vendor that would be affordable. Do any of you know any any mass produced drop bar single speeds we could purchase? I don’t know what our budget is, but those Schwinns used by IU could not be worth more than $200 which would be in the ball park.
Old 07-18-21, 06:31 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 431 Posts
I don't think you will find anything for under $200 that is rideable, and I've never seen drop bars being combined with a coaster brake. The closest thing I can see offhand are these cheap steel singlespeeds from bikesdirect although they are currently out of stock:

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/dawes/sst_steel.htm

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 07-18-21, 06:53 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 983 Times in 508 Posts
Price around $200, 40 or 50 available, and drop bars + coaster brakes? That’s a tall order indeed.
Old 07-18-21, 07:45 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked 1,144 Times in 869 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
Price around $200, 40 or 50 available, and drop bars + coaster brakes? That’s a tall order indeed.
... those are 1970 prices
Old 07-18-21, 07:52 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Found one on FB for $200: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...4692651135350/
Old 07-18-21, 08:23 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
Great ! Now all the OP needs to do is find 39 more.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 07-19-21, 01:58 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
With the shortages right now I doubt you could find any model of bike in the world that has 40-50 available to purchase.
Old 07-19-21, 05:33 AM
Dominae

Originally Posted by jack pot
... those are 1970 prices
The bikes used in the Little 500 are essentially Walmart quality disposable bikes. They use them for one year, and then order new ones the next. I don’t think Walmart sells very many single speed bikes that cost more than $200. IU buys 100’s of them every year. However, they have a special deal with Schwinn.
Old 07-20-21, 05:48 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by Dominae
The bikes used in the Little 500 are essentially Walmart quality disposable bikes. They use them for one year, and then order new ones the next. I don’t think Walmart sells very many single speed bikes that cost more than $200. IU buys 100’s of them every year. However, they have a special deal with Schwinn.
So maybe there’s a market for the IU ones after the race?

Selfishly asking. I’d rock one for 100-150 if it fit me.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 07-20-21, 05:54 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Would IU hand me downs be against school spirit?
Old 07-22-21, 02:37 PM
Dominae

Originally Posted by SkinGriz
Would IU hand me downs be against school spirit?
No we aren’t too proud to accept IU hand-me-downs If they were offered. Although you have to wonder how many 50 mile races these Schwinns have in them.
Old 07-22-21, 09:05 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Are they actual road race geometry or just a generic coaster brake frame that happens to have drop bars tossed on them? that'll make a big difference in what you can actually come up with. If a road geometry then i suspect Schwinn is your only option since no one else makes a coaster brake road bike that I've ever heard of but you should be able to contact them to find out if they'll sell to you as well. If they're just a basic geometry then it should be easy to buy a coaster brake bike for cheap, same with bars and tape and put them together.
Old 07-23-21, 06:05 AM
Dominae

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Are they actual road race geometry or just a generic coaster brake frame that happens to have drop bars tossed on them? that'll make a big difference in what you can actually come up with. If a road geometry then i suspect Schwinn is your only option since no one else makes a coaster brake road bike that I've ever heard of but you should be able to contact them to find out if they'll sell to you as well. If they're just a basic geometry then it should be easy to buy a coaster brake bike for cheap, same with bars and tape and put them together.
I don’t know the answer to that question but assume that because these bikes are custom made by Schwinn that the bikes probably have a “racier” geometry. Several companies make single speed coaster brake bikes with upright handlebars (Pure Bicycles is one such brand) and I had considered purchasing those and installing a drop bar. But, as you said, the geometry might be an issue. One the other hand, is a few degrees here or there in frame geometry really going to be a significant issue if the bikes are used for one 20 mile race per year?
Old 07-23-21, 11:43 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Several companies make single speed coaster brake bikes with upright handlebars (Pure Bicycles is one such brand) and I had considered purchasing those and installing a drop bar. One the other hand, is a few degrees here or there in frame geometry really going to be a significant issue?
I think that this is the only way you're going to be able to actually build a fleet and no, the geometry won't make any difference. If you really want to make it fun, make the riders tape their feet to the pedals, like in the movie:

Old 07-24-21, 10:32 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

No we aren’t too proud to accept IU hand-me-downs If they were offered. Although you have to wonder how many 50 mile races these Schwinns have in them.
A lot! Just because they’re Ashtabula cranks doesn’t mean the bearings aren’t good quality hardened steel. Fresh grease, readjust as necessary, ride.

And the rims don’t even need to be all that true as they aren’t the braking surface.