Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How To Celebrate Turning 60

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

How To Celebrate Turning 60

Old 07-21-21, 12:26 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S, Nashbar 3sp commuter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 324 Posts
Originally Posted by Mayonnaise View Post
Greetings everyone,

Been a long time since I've been here.

I come looking for ideas.

I've been a life-long cyclist and am turning 60 this Summer.

I'm looking for ideas to commemorate this birthday on the bicycle.

Looking for something challenging, Probably multi day. Some travel but not a whole lot.

Anyone here have a big birthday and did something creative on the bike to celebrate it?

Thank you
I was all set to buy a new bike for my 60th (~18 months from now) - had my eye on a Colnago Master, but a wise(r) friend made the point that new experiences are better than more stuff, and I have a great road bike now anyway. I'm considering some bike-orientated tourism - either out west of maybe in Italy or Mallorca
Old 07-21-21, 03:09 PM
big john

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 3299 Post(s)
Liked 2,610 Times in 1,441 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
Yea, I was wondering that myself. Everesting is not on my radar ... I think I could do all the climbing, but the mental aspect of repeating the same climb again and again ... oy!

I've never done the Everest Challenge. I always intended to but something got in the way every year. Just another reminder ... do things while you can because nothing lasts forever!

Maybe we should plan a trip and self-support it sometime. I'll bet we would talk at least a few fools into it.

BTW ... this is the Everest Challenge:

https://www.tourofcalifornia.org/200...challenge.html
I remember when the event was running, I never considered it, at least not the full route. I've done some of those climbs but not in the same day. Our club used to go up in summer and stay in Lone Pine or Bishop and climb and eat and sleep for 2 or 3 days. Those trips were a lot of fun and maybe we can do one again. Funny, I bumped into an old friend today and was telling him about the climb to Whitney Portal.
Old 07-21-21, 05:09 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 3030 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 714 Posts
I ride more than my birthday miles every year, just not on the day. I'm not a big celebrator, though we did ride my wife's age on her 70th. One thing is wanted to do and didn't get to do, is to ride a chunk of the Sierra Cascade bike route. Now that would be an adventure. Our best adventure was to ride our tandem for 2 weeks in the Czech Republic, by ourselves, on a route of our design. That was incredible fun. Numbered bike trails, no main roads, beer, warm people . . .

Adventures are things you come back from.

Old 07-21-21, 05:24 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 755 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by big john View Post
I remember when the event was running, I never considered it, at least not the full route. I've done some of those climbs but not in the same day. Our club used to go up in summer and stay in Lone Pine or Bishop and climb and eat and sleep for 2 or 3 days. Those trips were a lot of fun and maybe we can do one again. Funny, I bumped into an old friend today and was telling him about the climb to Whitney Portal.
You would think that I would have done most of those claims, but I haven't!

I've done Horseshoe, Sabrina, and White Mountain, and that little spur off to Death Valley, but have not done Whitney Portal, Onion Valley or Big Pine (Glacier Lodge). I heard Whitney Portal and Onion Valley are tough. I think Whitney Portal was just recently resurfaced too.

Old 07-21-21, 05:41 PM
big john

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 3299 Post(s)
Liked 2,610 Times in 1,441 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
You would think that I would have done most of those claims, but I haven't!

I've done Horseshoe, Sabrina, and White Mountain, and that little spur off to Death Valley, but have not done Whitney Portal, Onion Valley or Big Pine (Glacier Lodge). I heard Whitney Portal and Onion Valley are tough. I think Whitney Portal was just recently resurfaced too.
One day we went to Sabrina and South Lake and stopped at North Lake on the way back down. It was an epic day. It was a dry year and all the stores and cafes were happy to see us.
Likes For big john: