Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Why Electric Bikes are More Dangerous than Motorcycles

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Why Electric Bikes are More Dangerous than Motorcycles

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-21, 12:43 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
[QUOTE=mcours2006;22107483]Legal ebikes are fine for most riders. I deem the cap of 32 kph quite safe as one could easily attain this speed going on a slight decline. My 13 y/o could hit this speed on his MTB going down the street. So, really, anyone who's operated a bike should be comfortable doing 32 km/h.

Removing the cap, well that's a different story. You'll void the warranty on your bike, first of all. It is no longer classified as an ebike, second of all, making it illegal on bike lanes, MUPs, and paths. Might as well just get a motorcycle.[/QUOTE}

I agree 100% of what you said, a true E-Assist bicycle is a bicycle with some assist, that you actually MUST pedal to go anywhere... As soon as a throttle is used it becomes a moped, as soon as the assist is increased to over 400+ watts it can/and is used as a moped. IMO when you don't have to pedal, it is no longer an assist, it is a motorized vehicle, a motor bike... again, JMO
Likes For 350htrr:
Old 06-22-21, 09:11 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Another thread bad mouthing electric assist bikes. Too late, you lose. People have voted with their money, and a good percentage of bikes I meet on the bike path this year, are electric assist.

Even a fellow worker that laughed at me for cycling bought two, one for him and one for his wife last year. He already has over 2000 miles on it. Those against electric assist bikes are fighting progress, because now people like my friend that didnt ride before DO NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is a good thing.

Last edited by rydabent; 06-23-21 at 08:57 PM.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 06-22-21, 09:43 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
As a licensed motorcyclist who rides an ebike and other bicycles, I concur that ebikes are more dangerous than regular bicycles and motorcycles, mile per mile. Motorcycles own their lane, by law, like cars. Ebikes, on the other hand, are required to ride as far to the right as practicable. Therein lies the critical difference, with many various scenarios that ensue. The fact that an ebike is generally going 5-10mph faster than a bicycle just makes all the normal hazards a bit more dangerous. Good lighting can help to some extent, but there's an inherent danger to being on two wheels and no armour out there amongst tons of fast-moving steel vehicles; and higher speeds just up the ante.
Old 06-22-21, 10:28 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3770 Post(s)
Liked 1,036 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Another thread bad mouthing electric assist bikes. Too late, you lose. People have voted with their money, and a good percentage of bikes I meet on the bike path this year, are electric assist.

Even a fellow worker that laughed at me for cycling bought two, one for him and one for his wife last year. He already has over 2000 miles on it. This against electric assist bikes are fighting progress, because now people like my friend that didnt ride before DO NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is a good thing.
I don't think it's about the bikes, rather the operators. I agree, they are here to stay.
Old 07-19-21, 06:10 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 871 Posts
a newbie on a Specialized pedal assist is a clear and present danger to themself and anyone in immediate proximity ... I watched a chick demo an E bike into the side of another customer's car
Old 07-21-21, 09:51 AM
tharlandth

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
It's interesting
Old 07-22-21, 11:41 AM
Sorg67

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Apex, 2015 Trek Verve 3, 2020 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 58 Posts
When I ride on MUP labeled "no motorized vehicles" I wonder if that will one day prevent e-bikes. There are cyclists on these trails riding 30 kph plus, but they are generally skilled and good about avoiding pedestrians and slower cyclists. E bike riders in general seem less skilled and less good about avoiding pedestrians and slower cyclists. I have been considering an e-bike for my wife so we can ride together at a more compatible speed. She is definitely in the less skilled category and I would not consider her safe at the speeds she could attain on an e-bike. We are logging some miles on regular bikes and working on her skills. Certainly it raises some interesting questions.
Old 07-25-21, 07:44 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by jack pot
a newbie on a Specialized pedal assist is a clear and present danger to themself and anyone in immediate proximity ... I watched a chick demo an E bike into the side of another customer's car
Wow! That's Amazing! I have never heard of, let alone seen, anyone crash a conventional bicycle. This is proof that e-bikes are a public menace, thanks for bringing this to our attention.