Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Sad….Even Riding in a Bike Lane

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Sad….Even Riding in a Bike Lane

Old 07-25-21, 08:56 AM
homeless in ca.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
The CBS2 reporter never referred to any source about the "reported" texting. Perhaps he read about the driver's actions on A&S where that same factoid was "reported" without any basis on this thread.
That's impossible. CBS reported the driver was texting on Thursday. A day before it was mentioned on BikeForums. Simple chronology demonstrates your theory as false. A disruptive fabrication.

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Could be true, then again maybe not, as could be any speculation about the cause of this tragedy. I suggest waiting for a credible "report" that is based on more than "somebody said something."
While we wait for corroboration that the driver was texting your lack of credibility has been established.
Old 07-25-21, 09:25 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by homeless in ca.
That's impossible. CBS reported the driver was texting on Thursday. A day before it was mentioned on BikeForums. Simple chronology demonstrates your theory as false. A disruptive fabrication.
Too funny!

Originally Posted by homeless in ca.
While we wait for corroboration...
"While we wait for corroboration"? Since when? Who is included in this "we" you are referring to who wait for corroboration before spouting off about the causes of specific bicycle-auto collisions for which they zero knowledge? Certainly it doesn't include the posters on A&S who seem to see in their accident forensics crystal ball a texting driver behind every steering wheel.
Old 07-25-21, 09:37 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
The dead cyclist won't care. He dead. Nobody forced him to play in traffic.

When we ride our bikes we accept the risks involved. Well. Some of us.

No one is making you do it.

This is just about the stupidest illustration of a point I have ever seen. How many sharks have a drivers license? How many sharks take a test to swim and sign an agreement to stay out of swimming area? Zero. You know why? They are a ******g animal. They don't have higher intelligence like human beings should. They don't know a bicycle from a shark cage.

"I accept the risks" dur dah dur.

A human actually CAN see lines on the road. A human CAN interpret obstacles in their path and have a couple of innovative inventions called a steering wheel and a brake. In conjunction with their brain and reflexes, human beings have an ability to miss cyclists. They have an ability to understand that you are supposed to share the road, give room to pass safely...when they choose to.
Old 07-25-21, 10:09 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote
This is just about the stupidest illustration of a point I have ever seen. How many sharks have a drivers license? How many sharks take a test to swim and sign an agreement to stay out of swimming area? Zero. You know why? They are a ******g animal. They don't have higher intelligence like human beings should. They don't know a bicycle from a shark cage.

A human actually CAN see lines on the road. A human CAN interpret obstacles in their path and have a couple of innovative inventions called a steering wheel and a brake. In conjunction with their brain and reflexes, human beings have an ability to miss cyclists. They have an ability to understand that you are supposed to share the road, give room to pass safely...when they choose to.
That was a demonstration that to some, bad driving is an acceptable norm.
Old 07-25-21, 10:13 AM
homeless in ca.

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 41 Posts
Screengrabs of a video uploaded on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/SanRamonPolice/
Old 07-25-21, 10:19 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Originally Posted by Daniel4
That was a demonstration that to some, bad driving is an acceptable norm.
Durp! I sure hope the next time I am scubacycling I don't get run down by a shark...but I have moral superiority because I accepted the risk. Hurp!
Old 07-25-21, 08:47 PM
monkeytusmc 

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie SS, Colnago C40 B-Stay Mapei, 2013 Greg Lemond Commemorative TDF 90 (#55 of 100), 1992 Greg Lemond Team Z, Dario Pegoretti Marcelo "Why Not?", (2) x Zunow Road Bike

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
The scariest thing about riding today are people who text and drive and I see it too much. I wouldn't wish this on anyone. They should increase the penalty for driving and texting.
Old 07-28-21, 06:43 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by monkeytusmc
The scariest thing about riding today are people who text and drive and I see it too much. I wouldn't wish this on anyone. They should increase the penalty for driving and texting.
Same here on east coast. A group of my friends were hit head on by a young lady texting while driving on a rural 2 lane road. They survived but had some broken bones. She crossed over the yellow line and completely into the grass on the other side of the road. She told the police she’d dropped something on the floor and had bent over to get it. The next day she told coworkers she was texting. The coworkers the driver talked to were friends of my cycling friends and called them………

Last week a car coming around a curve starting coming at me while I was riding but the driver finally looked up in time to avoid hitting me. It was a female…….on the same road……..made me wonder if it were the same person.
Old 07-28-21, 07:58 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4196 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
A couple months back, I got hit while waiting at a stoplight in the left turn lane because the driver behind me "thought the light had changed" when it hadn't, so she went and I got a ride on her hood. My back is still eff'd up and I don't have a bike. I frequently wonder if she was looking at her phone when she hit the accelerator.
Old 07-28-21, 04:22 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
So you do not think motorists should be held accountable when they drive drunk, drugged, stoned, distracted, or otherwise recklessly?
Of course they should be held accountable. It's when slow moving, vulnerable creatures (cyclists) mix it up with fast moving impervious creatures (cars and trucks) there exists an OBVIOUS danger. If the slow moving creature ACCEPTS the obvious danger and gets hozed, holding the idiot motorists accountable does little good for that slow creature. The dead cyclist doesn't care anymore. If they ever cared.

Screaming for the motorists head on a pike and then heading right out into open waters under the exact same circumstances (drunks, druggies, distracted ppl galore) seems a bit curious UNLESS, the cyclist has made their peace with God and fully ACCEPTS the danger with consciousness of action.

Have you? Or "it will never happen to me" is the order of the day. I make the conscious decision every time I throw my leg over a top tube. Every. Single. Time.
Old 07-28-21, 04:30 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Riding on the highway you get passed by hundreds of "sharks" within just a few feet. Drunk, loaded, distracted, sleepy, stupid sharks in giant steel armored vehicles. People make mistakes all the time. Not one minute goes by without a motorist mistake. The shark reference is to a dangerous creature for whom a swimmer has no control over. A cyclist has ZERO control over the next 100 cars zooming past. If the cyclist gets tagged, or the swimmer get bitten, are we SURPRISED? Seems like it up in here.

REALIZE the danger. ACCEPT the danger (or not). Why freak out every time the shark bites someone else while we are swimming in the gall-dang "shark-filled ocean"?
Likes For JoeyBike:
Old 07-28-21, 04:37 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Riding on the highway you get passed by hundreds of "sharks" within just a few feet. Drunk, loaded, distracted, sleepy, stupid sharks in giant steel armored vehicles. People make mistakes all the time. Not one minute goes by without a motorist mistake. The shark reference is to a dangerous creature for whom a swimmer has no control over. A cyclist has ZERO control over the next 100 cars zooming past. If the cyclist gets tagged, or the swimmer get bitten, are we SURPRISED? Seems like it up in here.

REALIZE the danger. ACCEPT the danger (or not). Why freak out every time the shark bites someone else while we are swimming in the gall-dang "shark-filled ocean"?
I am not even going to pretend that you didn't make a great counterpoint. I have to say Kudos on that reply.
Just the same, there are some significant differences here that shouldn't be ignored.
Likes For Juan Foote:
Old 07-29-21, 07:11 AM
Kat12

Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 278 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
A couple months back, I got hit while waiting at a stoplight in the left turn lane because the driver behind me "thought the light had changed" when it hadn't, so she went and I got a ride on her hood. My back is still eff'd up and I don't have a bike. I frequently wonder if she was looking at her phone when she hit the accelerator.
Nah, I actually see this commonly. All it takes is for the person to not actually be looking at the light-- doesn't matter if it's their phone, their radio, their kids, that sign across the way, pulling something out of their bag, or they're simply sitting there and not staring at the light. In their peripheral vision, the people in the "going straight" lanes start to move, so they too hit the gas before looking up (especially if traffic is heavy and they don't want to hold up the people behind them). Happens the reverse way as well, if there's a left-turn light and it turns green first.
Old 07-29-21, 12:03 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts

Does this mean you're against starting one of these threads every time there's a news story about a cyclist getting hit by a car?

I'd totally agree with that, but for somewhat different reasons.
Old 07-29-21, 01:09 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Durp! I sure hope the next time I am scubacycling I don't get run down by a shark...but I have moral superiority because I accepted the risk. Hurp!
How naive some of us are thinking there was a difference between an wild animal out to feed and a human being with a valid drivers licence after passing road and written tests.
Old 07-29-21, 09:01 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by Daniel4
How naive some of us are thinking there was a difference between an wild animal out to feed and a human being with a valid drivers licence after passing road and written tests.
You still missed the point.

If you swim in the open ocean and a fish eats you, that's a risk YOU took, hopefully knowingly.
If you bike on the open road and a car hits you, that's a risk YOU took, hopefully knowingly.

You have control over what YOU do, not what the rest of the world does, human, fish, whatever. If you expose yourself to danger that is on YOU.

For God's sake people, stop acting so surprised every time a cyclist gets blown up on the highway. They rolled the dice and snake-eyes came up. Every single motorist on Earth is an imperfect human. They are screaming past us at high speeds just inches away. The room for error is tiny. I've been seeing these horror stories here since 2007 when I joined up. Of all the motorists charged and jailed over the years, NOTHING has changed. All the rest of the humans are STILL imperfect, including cyclists. Someone will roll snake-eyes again next week and the week after that. The only thing this has to do with Advocacy and SAFETY is to highlight the unpopular notion that cycling on high speed roadways is NOT 100% safe and never will be no matter how many knucklehead motorists get spanked in the legal system. When the sun comes up tomorrow your odds of getting hozed is EXACTLY the same as yesterday or last year.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 07-29-21 at 09:04 PM.
Likes For JoeyBike:
Old 07-30-21, 06:52 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts

If you swim in the open ocean and a fish eats you, that's a risk YOU took, hopefully knowingly.
If you bike on the open road and a car hits you, that's a risk YOU took, hopefully knowingly.

You have control over what YOU do, not what the rest of the world does, human, fish, whatever. If you expose yourself to danger that is on YOU.

For God's sake people, stop acting so surprised every time a cyclist gets blown up on the highway. They rolled the dice and snake-eyes came up. Every single motorist on Earth is an imperfect human. They are screaming past us at high speeds just inches away. The room for error is tiny. I've been seeing these horror stories here since 2007 when I joined up. Of all the motorists charged and jailed over the years, NOTHING has changed. All the rest of the humans are STILL imperfect, including cyclists. Someone will roll snake-eyes again next week and the week after that. The only thing this has to do with Advocacy and SAFETY is to highlight the unpopular notion that cycling on high speed roadways is NOT 100% safe and never will be no matter how many knucklehead motorists get spanked in the legal system. When the sun comes up tomorrow your odds of getting hozed is EXACTLY the same as yesterday or last year.

TBH, I sort of kind of agree with you here. Where we differ is I think the impression one gets from A&S is that bicycling is a LOT more dangerous than it really is, and that this is really the opposite of advocacy. The endless dissection of any given crash by a bunch of self-appointed armchair "experts" spouting their pet theories of everything based on sketchy media reports is not helping this situation as it makes these incidents look and feel a lot more common than they really are. I also think your rhetoric grossly exaggerates the risk one is taking on when one cycles.

I'm perfectly ok with the idea that we should be discussing safety issues such as how to ride knowing that there will always be distracted drivers, and advocating laws and policies that might lessen some of the danger posed by them, but this "I'm sure this driver was texting" crap is useless, pointless and counter-productive.
Old 07-30-21, 07:55 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts

Some people grossly inflate the actual risk of shark attack and may be fearful of ever getting in the water, and might even sound hysterical on the subject. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/shark...k-is_b_7736266
Same applies to other activities when some people overreact to alarmist headlines and imagined threats and inflate the actual risk of serious injury/death from relatively rare events, and the drama ensues.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 07-30-21 at 08:00 AM.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 07-30-21, 06:08 PM
Chistophe516

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Killed by a motor vehicle driver who swerved into the bike lane. Why do cars swerve?
Drunk or stoned
Distracted
Road hazard or avoiding something else
Bad driver
Medical issue
Mechanical issue
Premeditated murder

reports say drugs and alcohol not involved
Unidentified driver should be made public on arrest for vehicular manslaughter
Originally Posted by John E
There is far too much of this going on. We need greater accountability for errant motorists.
Exactly
Old 07-31-21, 09:20 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
I am not even going to pretend that you didn't make a great counterpoint. I have to say Kudos on that reply.
Just the same, there are some significant differences here that shouldn't be ignored.
You mean significant differences like the intelligence levels of the creatures being discussed, or the fact that the motorist agreed to obey the rules of the road when granted a license, and that the whole car/road/bicycle situation is an artificial creation by humans, vice raw nature.

Yeah, just a few differences... indeed.
Old 09-25-21, 12:21 PM
kayakindude

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts
No charges

Truly an injustice.
Old 10-04-21, 03:19 PM
DBT

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Handsfree, but still distracted, by the use of a cell phone. Big surprise! Yet, still no charges.

Police: Cellphone (hands-free) at play for driver in San Ramon crash that killed NFL's Knapp | News | DanvilleSanRamon.com |