Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Cycling shoes for Mrs. Road Fan?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Cycling shoes for Mrs. Road Fan?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-21, 12:09 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4396 Post(s)
Liked 4,843 Times in 2,997 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
My point is that Mrs. Road Fan and I do not require toe clips to keep our feet from falling off. She and both began riding bicycles around the age of 5, and we are each at least 60 years past that point. Neither of us can remember our feet falling off the pedal forward, back ward, or sideways. We both like shoes that release from out pedals instantly when we want them to.

We have both become conditioned to a particlar foot position. For me it's with the ball of my big toe over the spindle, and with the pedals in pretty narrow-Q locations. We want toe clips because they help us put them in the right place.

I do not misunderstand the Five Ten pedals. Based on the Adidas descriptions and comments of BF ers and others, these are not what I want. Like clip on pedals, the FiveTens are another example of the state of the art in pedaling divergent from our proven cycling strategy.
I'm not sure what you mean. For road riding I use clipless road shoes and cleats (SPD-SL), which lock my feet in the classic position on the pedal, which is what you are effectively doing with toe-clips right? For mountain biking I use FiveTens on flat pedals and put my feet in exactly the same position on the pedals. I suppose I have to manually position my feet each time without a toe-clip, but that soon becomes an unconscious effort. When you mentioned MTB shoes i just thought you were thinking of moving away from the toe-clip concept, but obviously not. Those Adidas shoes you were looking at might work as long as they are not too bulky for the toe-clips.

Last edited by PeteHski; 07-25-21 at 12:12 PM.
Old 07-26-21, 12:17 PM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
I have used and liked these straps along with beartrap pedals on a mtb commuter. Toe clips were cutoff resin mtb clips. This was back in the 80's, so long ago my road shoes had wooden soles.

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Grips-S...dp/B0011ZH312/

https://www.amazon.com/Zefal-Cristop...dp/B000AO9K9S/
Old 08-01-21, 11:00 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I'm not sure what you mean. For road riding I use clipless road shoes and cleats (SPD-SL), which lock my feet in the classic position on the pedal, which is what you are effectively doing with toe-clips right? For mountain biking I use FiveTens on flat pedals and put my feet in exactly the same position on the pedals. I suppose I have to manually position my feet each time without a toe-clip, but that soon becomes an unconscious effort. When you mentioned MTB shoes i just thought you were thinking of moving away from the toe-clip concept, but obviously not. Those Adidas shoes you were looking at might work as long as they are not too bulky for the toe-clips.
Let me try to clarify what I mean. I think I've done this several times in this thread, but here goes:

You say you use clipless road shoes and cleats,"which lock my feet in the classic position on the pedal, which is what you are effectively doing with toe-clips right? The answer is, no, not right. We use toe clips but we do not use cleats, nor do we use a tightened strap. Our feet ARE NOT LOCKED TO THE PEDAL.

My idea behind talking about MTB shoes is that they are modern shoes, hence in stock on retailer's shelves. And while they are designed to accept modern SPD or whatever cleats, they have flat soles which are walkable and a cushioned heel, so can be walkable on sidewalks and indoors.

"Quoting you "When you mentioned MTB shoes i just thought you were thinking of moving away from the toe-clip concept, but obviously not." It does not seem to get through that we do not want, nor have ever used, now will ever used a pedal that locks our feet to the pedal. We were never in the toe clip concept. Wife and I have never owned or used them, in at least 50 years of cycling each. And our toe-clip setups do not lock in our feet.

I think she will like the Velosamba because it is similar to the Adidas sneakers I pedaled in from junior year of high school to sophomore year of college. When I was in high school, Adidas sneakers with leather uppers and gummy rubber soles were very popular. I used them for cycling with toe clips and either rattrap or Strada-style pedals with the two metal ridges ahead of and behind the spindle. The Samba of today, in non-velo version is extremely similar to the Velosamba, and I'm pretty convinced I can get one into a road toeclip. My wife uses MTB toeclips which are much more roomy. The improvement of the Velosamba relative to the Samba is a stiffened sole which should make long-distance pedaling a lot more comfortable. Adidas used to make a cyclotouring shoe called "Col d'Izoard" which had leather uppers closely-cut like a traditional cleated racing shoe, stiff soles with some texturing, a cushioned heel, and decent arch support. I used those from about 1986 through 1994. Until they finally wore out I did a lot rides on these between 20 and 60 miles, on traditional Campagnolo Strada pedals and C Record Touring platforms. In 1994 I found the Adidas Team Adidas, slim and close-cut like the Col d'Izoard, a similar stiff rubber plus whatever stiffener sole, and again, decent arch support. Mrs. Road Fan needs a shoe that accommodates her foot issues, so even if I could find her a new set of Team Adidas, she would not have room in the skinny toe box.

But no cleats, and no foot-locking. I have a long history with riding in bike-oriented sneakers, and have never felt the need for locking my feet, even with float factored in. And when somebody starts talking about the "efficiency" and "power" gains of cleated shoes, I say "where is the evidence?" and nobody has ever shown any, that I have seen. I don't know if I'm slower, nor do I care if I am.
Old 08-01-21, 11:02 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Let me try to clarify what I mean. I think I've done this several times in this thread, but here goes:

You say you use clipless road shoes and cleats,"which lock my feet in the classic position on the pedal, which is what you are effectively doing with toe-clips right? The answer is, no, not right. We use toe clips but we do not use cleats, nor do we use a tightened strap. Our feet ARE NOT LOCKED TO THE PEDAL.

My idea behind talking about MTB shoes is that they are modern shoes, hence in stock on retailer's shelves. And while they are designed to accept modern SPD or whatever cleats, they have flat soles which are walkable and a cushioned heel, so can be walkable on sidewalks and indoors.

"Quoting you "When you mentioned MTB shoes i just thought you were thinking of moving away from the toe-clip concept, but obviously not." It does not seem to get through that we do not want, nor have ever used, now will ever used a pedal that locks our feet to the pedal. We were never in the toe clip concept. Wife and I have never owned or used them, in at least 50 years of cycling each. And our toe-clip setups do not lock in our feet.

I think she will like the Velosamba because it is similar to the Adidas sneakers I pedaled in from junior year of high school to sophomore year of college. When I was in high school, Adidas sneakers with leather uppers and gummy rubber soles were very popular. I used them for cycling with toe clips and either rattrap or Strada-style pedals with the two metal ridges ahead of and behind the spindle. The Samba of today, in non-velo version is extremely similar to the Velosamba, and I'm pretty convinced I can get one into a road toeclip. My wife uses MTB toeclips which are much more roomy. The improvement of the Velosamba relative to the Samba is a stiffened sole which should make long-distance pedaling a lot more comfortable. Adidas used to make a cyclotouring shoe called "Col d'Izoard" which had leather uppers closely-cut like a traditional cleated racing shoe, stiff soles with some texturing, a cushioned heel, and decent arch support. I used those from about 1986 through 1994. Until they finally wore out I did a lot rides on these between 20 and 60 miles, on traditional Campagnolo Strada pedals and C Record Touring platforms. In 1994 I found the Adidas Team Adidas, slim and close-cut like the Col d'Izoard, a similar stiff rubber plus whatever stiffener sole, and again, decent arch support. Mrs. Road Fan needs a shoe that accommodates her foot issues, so even if I could find her a new set of Team Adidas, she would not have room in the skinny toe box.

But no cleats, and no foot-locking. I have a long history with riding in bike-oriented sneakers, and have never felt the need for locking my feet, even with float factored in. And when somebody starts talking about the "efficiency" and "power" gains of cleated shoes, I say "where is the evidence?" and nobody has ever shown any, that I have seen. I don't know if I'm slower, nor do I care if I am.
Likes For Road Fan:
Old 08-01-21, 11:36 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I tend to agree that a number of people in the clipless camp can be pretty relentless.

In reality they are saying, “I like clipless and think they are better so therefore you will like clipless and think they are better too.”

I’ve read reams and reams of advice on how to set them up in response to someone who just doesn’t want to use them. They are like small children who just can’t take no for an answer.

I can’t figure out the obsession of how someone else should ride.

John
Old 08-01-21, 04:00 PM
PeteHski

But no cleats, and no foot-locking. I have a long history with riding in bike-oriented sneakers, and have never felt the need for locking my feet, even with float factored in. And when somebody starts talking about the "efficiency" and "power" gains of cleated shoes, I say "where is the evidence?" and nobody has ever shown any, that I have seen. I don't know
if I'm slower, nor do I care if I am.
I never suggested using cleats or locking your foot to the pedals In any way, shape or form. I merely suggested that you wouldn’t even need toe-clips with the shoes I recommended (which do NOT have cleats).

Just to be clear the shoes I recommended are exactly the kind of modern, flat, super grippy soled mtb shoes that you appeared to be looking for.

Edit: Where you lost me was the toe-clips. I’m not sure what use they are with a modern flat mtb shoe? Nobody uses toe-clips with modern flat mtb shoes.

Last edited by PeteHski; 08-01-21 at 04:08 PM.
Old 08-01-21, 04:03 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I tend to agree that a number of people in the clipless camp can be pretty relentless.

In reality they are saying, “I like clipless and think they are better so therefore you will like clipless and think they are better too.”

I’ve read reams and reams of advice on how to set them up in response to someone who just doesn’t want to use them. They are like small children who just can’t take no for an answer.

I can’t figure out the obsession of how someone else should ride.

John
I agree. But I never even suggested going clipless. Quite the opposite, but the OP seems to have got mixed up.
Old 08-01-21, 08:32 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I agree. But I never even suggested going clipless. Quite the opposite, but the OP seems to have got mixed up.
This was not directed at you or anyone else in particular. There have a lot of threads over the past few years and it never fails that the clipless crowd will go to whatever lengths to try and convince someone to go clipless or stay clipless.

John
Old 08-03-21, 09:33 PM
Road Fan

I am not mixed up. I have a very clear idea what we need. You seem to have assumed my “normal” is clip ons or something that holds the foot.
Old 08-03-21, 09:46 PM
Road Fan

I never suggested using cleats or locking your foot to the pedals In any way, shape or form. I merely suggested that you wouldn’t even need toe-clips with the shoes I recommended (which do NOT have cleats).

Just to be clear the shoes I recommended are exactly the kind of modern, flat, super grippy soled mtb shoes that you appeared to be looking for.

Edit: Where you lost me was the toe-clips. I’m not sure what use they are with a modern flat mtb shoe? Nobody uses toe-clips with modern flat mtb shoes.
Where you lost me was where you somehow think I am looking for “super grippy.” I am not. And I don’t give a rats ass what “nobody” or anybody does or does not use. I have also explained in several replies how old-fashioned toe clips with straps help us. Thank you for your assistance.
Old 08-04-21, 05:33 AM
PeteHski

I am not mixed up. I have a very clear idea what we need. You seem to have assumed my “normal” is clip ons or something that holds the foot.
Well I assumed your clips located your feet on the pedals in a specific place and perhaps stopped them from slipping off. I didn't assume anything beyond that to be honest.

Originally you mentioned "modern mtb shoes" as an option, although oddly looking back, the word "modern" now seems to have disappeared. Maybe I just imagined it? Anyway I suggested some "modern" mtb shoes without cleats attempting to be helpful. I get your point about them not working with toe-clips because their soles are too grippy. Which is why people who do use them don't use toe-clips or cleats. They don't even have cleat mounts.

So if clips are essential for you, then modern mtb shoes designed for flat pedals are likely to be too grippy.

Last edited by PeteHski; 08-04-21 at 05:45 AM.
Old 08-04-21, 05:51 AM
PeteHski

Where you lost me was where you somehow think I am looking for “super grippy.” I am not. And I don’t give a rats ass what “nobody” or anybody does or does not use. I have also explained in several replies how old-fashioned toe clips with straps help us. Thank you for your assistance.
Yeah and I don't give a rats ass what you use either, especially after your rude replies. I just explained how modern mtb flat shoes work as that was one of the options you originally mentioned.
Old 08-04-21, 11:26 AM
Road Fan

Yeah and I don't give a rats ass what you use either, especially after your rude replies. I just explained how modern mtb flat shoes work as that was one of the options you originally mentioned.
Ok, we do not agree.
Old 08-04-21, 11:36 AM
Road Fan

Well I assumed your clips located your feet on the pedals in a specific place and perhaps stopped them from slipping off. I didn't assume anything beyond that to be honest.

Originally you mentioned "modern mtb shoes" as an option, although oddly looking back, the word "modern" now seems to have disappeared. Maybe I just imagined it? Anyway I suggested some "modern" mtb shoes without cleats attempting to be helpful. I get your point about them not working with toe-clips because their soles are too grippy. Which is why people who do use them don't use toe-clips or cleats. They don't even have cleat mounts.

So if clips are essential for you, then modern mtb shoes designed for flat pedals are likely to be too grippy.
Your last sentence is clear, thank you.

I said several times in this thread that I do not depend on straps to prevent our feet from slipping off. We have somehow learned to keep our feet on the pedals as we ride.

I don't recall the "modern" deletion issue, I'm sure I didn't delete it from one of my posts. If I typed it it should still be there, as far as I am concerned. My wife needs new shoes rather than second-hand, so by definition they will be reasonably current production. Overstock or recently out of production is also acceptable. In that sense they would be modern.

I'm trying to be realistic. While I would love to find a selection of Adidas Col d'Izoard or Team Adidas, I'm not waiting for a miracle brought by a magical elf.