Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Tern Link D8 Claris vs Neos derailleur

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-21, 05:01 AM
Rome1901

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all, would like have some opinions regarding the 2 bikes.

www*thorusa*com/tern/linkd8claris*htm

www*thorusa*com/tern/linkd8new*htm

Please change * to . when using above links, unable to post links as I am yet to hit the 10 posts requirement.

In Australia, we only have the D8 with Neos derailleur and Sram MRX shifter instead of the the Shimano Claris with trigger shifter.

My understanding is Neos derailleurs are harder to source especially in Australia and if wanting to change to different brands, an adapter of some sort is required?

Would this be a deal breaker and I should just get the D7i for approx US$120 more?

Just after a bike that I can fit easily into the trunk of a Mazda 3 sedan to take to the bike paths on weekends where I ride around 30~40km, currently using a full size bike that I have to take apart to fit inside the car and it is getting a bit tedious.

TIA!
Old 07-04-21, 02:19 AM
Reddleman
iti biking

Bikes: Tern Link D8, much upgraded

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 58 Posts
You do need an adaptor to use a standard derailleur in place of the Neos one. Next door in NZ I ended up ordering one from Tern’s webstore, but I found out later that the importer here can also supply them to order too.

The original Neos derailleur on our Tern Link D8 was okay, it’s just that we needed some more range on account of living in a city built on a volcanic field!
Old 07-26-21, 05:41 PM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by Rome1901
Hi all, would like have some opinions regarding the 2 bikes.

www*thorusa*com/tern/linkd8claris*htm

www*thorusa*com/tern/linkd8new*htm

Please change * to . when using above links, unable to post links as I am yet to hit the 10 posts requirement.

In Australia, we only have the D8 with Neos derailleur and Sram MRX shifter instead of the the Shimano Claris with trigger shifter.

My understanding is Neos derailleurs are harder to source especially in Australia and if wanting to change to different brands, an adapter of some sort is required?

Would this be a deal breaker and I should just get the D7i for approx US$120 more?

Just after a bike that I can fit easily into the trunk of a Mazda 3 sedan to take to the bike paths on weekends where I ride around 30~40km, currently using a full size bike that I have to take apart to fit inside the car and it is getting a bit tedious.

TIA!
You can actually replace the shifter without replacing the derailleur. I'm running a Neos derailleur on my Boardwalk but I hated the grip shifter so I replaced it with a Shimano Rapidfire shifter (same amount of cable pull). Only thing to watch out for is that the Neos derailleur goes to the largest cog when no cable tension is applied, which is the opposite of other kinds of derailleurs. The derailleur itself is fine, and has lasted me for many years.
Old 07-26-21, 07:31 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by The Chemist
Neos derailleur goes to the largest cog when no cable tension is applied, which is the opposite of other kinds of derailleurs.
Very cool and Google to know.