Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Washing helmet daily? Will more expensive helmets help?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-15, 01:52 PM
bikecommuter13

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

My helmet smells bad due to sweat. It's a Bell helmet from costco. It's summer time now, the smell gets stronger. I have to wash it daily or every other day. Will more expensive helmets help in this situation? Will they remain fresh longer due to better ventilation?
Old 08-17-15, 01:59 PM
GovernorSilver

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, Jamis Renegade Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bikecommuter13
My helmet smells bad due to sweat. It's a Bell helmet from costco. It's summer time now, the smell gets stronger. I have to wash it daily or every other day. Will more expensive helmets help in this situation? Will they remain fresh longer due to better ventilation?
There's a guy here who claims he hits the shower with his helmet on to get the sweat off. LOL!

Some of us have Bern helmets that have removable liners - washing those with (cold) laundry does the trick for them.
Old 08-17-15, 02:00 PM
bikecommuter13

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GovernorSilver
washing those with (cold) laundry does the trick for them.
But do you wash them everyday?
Old 08-17-15, 02:07 PM
GovernorSilver

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, Jamis Renegade Expert

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
But do you wash them everyday?
No, once a week with my cold laundry - not the warm one. Works for me. That pleasant detergent smell goes away after one full commute (morning and evening), then it starts to smell a bit after the 2nd commute - not as bad though as when I first figured out the smell was coming from the helmet and not from my clothes - that's after 2 months of riding before I even thought of washing the liner.

I only commute a max of twice a week anyway.

I did some Googling and saw there are other brands/models that have removable liners for washing.

Last edited by GovernorSilver; 08-17-15 at 02:11 PM.
Likes For GovernorSilver:
Old 08-17-15, 02:15 PM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have never washed a helmet. I can't even say mine stinks. Maybe get one with more ventilation? Or spring for something like: https://www.amazon.com/Halo-Headband-...=halo+headband
Likes For bmthom.gis:
Old 08-17-15, 03:09 PM
ShortLegCyclist

Bikes: Many bikes in three states and two countries, mainly riding Moots Vamoots, Lynskey R265 disc and a Spot Denver Zephyr nowadays

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which Bell helmet model?

You might not need a more expensive helmet, just one with better ventilation.

This Bell helmet

is nowhere near as well ventilated as this one:

Old 08-17-15, 03:19 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Wear a headband and rinse/wash as needed.
Old 08-17-15, 03:27 PM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I wear a HeadSweats Shorty do-rag and I wash it after every ride. However I seldom wash the helmet. There are times that I'll just rinse it out with a garden hose after a sweaty ride. I've also been known to spray it down with Frebreze to knock out some of the smell.
Old 08-17-15, 04:07 PM
mapeiboy

Bikes: Colnago EP with Campy chorus

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wash my bike helmet after every ride to get the sweat off . Nothing wrong with that .
Old 08-17-15, 04:32 PM
Eric S.

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
I have a few Buff "head socks" that I wear in the Las Vegas heat. I won't say my helmet smells fresh & clean, but it doesn't stink. A shot of Febreeze or similar product after riding helps if needed.
Old 08-17-15, 05:26 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
My helmet has never been washed since new. It's used daily for 8 years now and has no bad smell whatsoever.
Old 08-17-15, 05:51 PM
chefisaac

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've never washed my helmet at all with all the years I have been writing. Unless it rains, and then I wash it a lot! A quick solve is to buy something that goes on your head in between your head and your helmet. I use a cycling hat.
Old 08-17-15, 05:57 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
I use the simple Pace skullcaps. I have a bunch of them. I always leave the house with a fresh one. Helmets stay clean and my hair feel much cleaner. Less sweat tin my eyes and nice on cold days. Also keeps my cold weather caps clean. And I wash my helmet maybe 3-4 times a year when I want a clean chinstrap.

I look at them like fresh underwear. It's a better day with them on.

Ben
Old 08-17-15, 06:13 PM
TheManShow
Banned

Bikes: Old rusty bucket of bolts

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My two Helmets are Bell Brand over 8 years old, I wear a Head Rag like motorcycles wear under the helmet. Mine do not smell, I store em in a hot garage in summer, cold garage in winter.

I know they make a spray stuff called FABREEZE or something close to that. You will see the commercials on TV. Would assume you can spray it inside a helmet.
Old 08-17-15, 06:36 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
Whenever I notice my helmet getting a bit funky, I throw it in the dishwasher, either with the dishes if there's room (I live and eat alone, so in that scenario I don't consider it nasty, especially as I use the sanitize option) or by itself. I dry it in the sun, and it is squeaky clean until the next ride.
This procedure no doubt accelerates the wear-out of the foam pads that interface between your cranium and the helmet proper, but these are easily replaced. The rest of the helmet seems none the worse for it. Lately, I also remove the straps and wash them separately in the laundry.
Old 08-17-15, 06:46 PM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
get a haircut
Old 08-17-15, 09:11 PM
fthomas
Fred E Fenders

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Neoprene diving suits, gloves and boots can get the stink real fast and real bad. After washing with laundry detergent in cold water rinse well and then put it in a bath of Baking Soda and water and let it sit. That should get rid of the smell. Maybe because it is a cheap helmet it has some type of synthetic that is cultivating bacteria resulting in the smell.

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Old 08-17-15, 09:25 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
I always rinse... and yes I have walked in the shower with one on before too...
Old 08-17-15, 11:01 PM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
My helmet has some padding in it that is attached with velcro. Remove them and wash with a bit of mild soap and warm water. The rest of the helmet doesn't get smelly. I sweat a lot and have a Halo headband and that helps too. The straps, though, get stiff from the salt in the sweat and I just rinse these off under the tap.
Old 08-17-15, 11:15 PM
ct1780

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle is relatively effective on hockey equipment until I can get it in the wash. I'm sure it would probably work ok on the helmet.
Old 08-17-15, 11:17 PM
catgita

Bikes: Fitz randonneuse, Trek Superfly/AL, Tsunami SS, Bacchetta, HPV Speed Machine, Rans Screamer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I used to get the funky helmet really bad. Now I wear a headsweats shorty (or similar). No more funk, at least from this end. These days a helmet without a shorty is like shoes without socks. Icky kaka poopoo.

I would warn against harsh cleansers, especially dishwashers (really?). That can degrade the materials, and why wear it if it won't do the job when you need it?
Old 08-17-15, 11:51 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by bmthom.gis
I have never washed a helmet. I can't even say mine stinks. Maybe get one with more ventilation? Or spring for something like: https://www.amazon.com/Halo-Headband-...=halo+headband
+1. I rinse the salt off occasionally but it never smells. I have a fair amount of hair so my helmet doesn't contact much skin if tha makes a difference.
Old 08-17-15, 11:57 PM
Lil Bear

Bikes: '02 Kona Lava Dome, '15 Origami Crane8... the rest are top secret :)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
My helmet has never been washed since new. It's used daily for 8 years now and has no bad smell whatsoever.
I can relate to this.. maybe our heads just smell better naturally.

E: Same with my old gloves... double stitched leather palm, mesh backs. Wore 'em for about 15 years, always smelled good. My watchband on the other hand... eewww. Rather than try to wash it, I just replaced it, twice, then stopped wearing a watch. Not the best solution for a helmet, I suppose. Flip the helmet over and put it in the sun... it's thte bacteria causing the smell, not sweat I presume.

Last edited by Lil Bear; 08-18-15 at 12:06 AM.
Old 05-20-21, 01:56 AM
centerstand65

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You may just be one of those people who need a new helmet more often. A lot of guys prefer to only wear smelly, used helmets because they feel custom built the first time they put them on. You can get 80% on a helmet that's been sweated in for just one year. So, maybe you should sell your smelly lid on eBay.

Personally, I prefer a lid that's been heavily used for about five years. The more it stinks, the more comfortable it is to get in and stay in, all day.
Old 05-20-21, 08:09 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2602 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
Zombie post alert. Newbie getting post count up, perhaps, by responding to 6-year-dead thread?
Likes For pdlamb:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.