Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Brompton - CHPT3 vs. Black Lacquer

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Brompton - CHPT3 vs. Black Lacquer

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-18, 02:22 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Was showing Op it's possible for a 6 speed ti to weight the same as a factory 2 speed ti.

After a few mods/parts swap.
-front & rear reflectors/brackets removed
-Brompfication ti seatpost(went out of business)
-Selle Italia SLR carbon base/ti rails seat
-Expedo R Force titanium clipless pedals
-Shimano Dura Ace 10 speed chainring/wheel
-Shimano Ultegra 10 speed chain
-various tianium nuts and bolts from NOV, Brompfication, Ti Parts, etc:
rear wheel nuts, handlebar mast, cranks, front skewer, seatpost QR, etc, etc.
Rear lites test, East River path NYC by 1nterceptor, on Flickr

Originally Posted by berlinonaut
According to Brompton a S6Lx with carrier block, the shortest seat post and w/o (!) lights weights 10,9kg and as far as I can judge this is realistic.

1. S-Typ 10,3kg 1089,00€
2. 6 Gang 920g 281,00€
3. Version L - Schutzbleche o. G.-Träger 371g 85,00€
4. Superlight Rahmen -740g 825,00€
10. Trägerblock, einzeln 93g 39,00€

Summe 10,9kg 2319,00€

So your bike seems to be lighter than normal for some reasons. What one can see already from your picture is that you have an aftermarket titanium seatpost that is much lighter than the factory steel version and furthermore get's rid of the pentaclip as well (~100 g saved alone through getting rid of that). You have a 3rd party saddle as well that may be lighter than stock and possibly some other bits in the non-visible area. So while it is easily possible to get a 6-speed to the 10kg mark it is clearly not what comes from the factory and in comparison to the 2-speed the 6-speed adds about as much weight as the ti version saves over the steel version.
Old 02-28-18, 06:47 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 668 Times in 280 Posts
Going with the Black Edition, black lacquer bike in steel, 6 speed... will post pics when it arrives! For my needs, the titanium was overkill and I really wanted black edition components...
Old 02-28-18, 07:22 PM
odiolalluvia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by avole
Don't bother with the front dynamo lights, modern USB lights are much better.
I've got to disagree. I've never seen a better headlight for riding at night than the B&M IQ-X. No other bike light provides such a wide beam with a cut off to not blind oncoming traffic. I suggest the IQ-X to anyone getting a Brompton or any other bike they're going to ride around at night time. And thank God they don't flash. How are you supposed to see where you're going if your headlight is flashing?
Old 02-28-18, 07:50 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliwild
Going with the Black Edition, black lacquer bike in steel, 6 speed... will post pics when it arrives! For my needs, the titanium was overkill and I really wanted black edition components...
Excellent choice. I currently don't have much use for a folder (or another bike at all), but MAN that thing is cool!
Old 02-28-18, 09:47 PM
Caliwild

Now I need to figure out what cool grips I can put on there to replace the foam ones... Any ideas? Ergon GA2 in black? Anything I need to know about the length of the grips for the new M bar? Thanks.
Old 03-01-18, 01:59 AM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by odiolalluvia
I've got to disagree. I've never seen a better headlight for riding at night than the B&M IQ-X. No other bike light provides such a wide beam with a cut off to not blind oncoming traffic. I suggest the IQ-X to anyone getting a Brompton or any other bike they're going to ride around at night time, and thank God they don't flash. How are you supposed to see where you're going if your headlight is flashing?
But vital when you cycle on the other side of the road

Seriosly, bicycle lights these days have a number of different modes, which includes flashing as well as normal continuous beam, so not a problem. The Brompton front light is mounted too low, turns off when you stop and the dynamo increases resistance when you pedal. At night I have both sets of lights on, and it is the USB that lights up the road, though it is on more for visibility, as we have street lights everywhere here, until 23:00h anyway.
Old 03-01-18, 07:10 AM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Now I need to figure out what cool grips I can put on there to replace the foam ones... Any ideas? Ergon GA2 in black? Anything I need to know about the length of the grips for the new M bar? Thanks.
You're good to go with GA2 grips. Pre-2017 Brommies used short grips, but the bars have been redesigned to use the standard 130mm length now. GA2 is 132, which is close enough.

I prefer the GP1 model with the paddles in Small for my small hands; the GA2 looks to me to be a more traditional round-ish grip which probably works better for trail riding.
Old 03-01-18, 09:35 AM
berlinonaut

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
The Brompton front light is mounted too low, turns off when you stop and the dynamo increases resistance when you pedal. At night I have both sets of lights on, and it is the USB that lights up the road, though it is on more for visibility, as we have street lights everywhere here, until 23:00h anyway.
Do not forget: You have an outdated halogen front-light on your Brompton that has been exchanged on new Bromtons aready six years ago. The BuM IQ X has standlight, lightsensor and daylight-lightening, near-field light and offers 100 Lux of bright white LED light. The picture of the light fieled from BuM is typically on the very optimistic side of life but still gives an idea:

Your's offers ~15 Lux of yellow halogen light and has no other features. So it is obviously not possible to judge on an IQ X if you only know your halogen light and it is close to impossible not to offer better light than your current one, even with a candle...

The light-filed-picture of an 10 Lux halogen-light from BuM is again more than just optimistic (from my experience the Brompton's factory halogen-lamp is far worse than that) but offers a bit of a relative comparison to what the IQ X offers:

(both pictures from here)

Dynamowise you have the low end shimano dynamo (the lowest end dynamo that shimano offers) that is heavy and has a lot of drag in on- as well als in off-mode. The SON has no noticable drag in neither mode and is a lot lighter and bullet proof (but expensive). The SP8 and SP9 as possbile alternatives are in between.

With a IQ X or an Edelux2 nothing is left to desired lightwise, even with the low mounting point on the Brompton. If you wish you can mount both on the bars as well, then offering an even better field of light but possibly leading to the same issues with the fold that battery light on the bars habe. Of the two I clearly prefer the Edelux2 because of longer warranty, less blinding and better build quality. My IQ X failed after only 10 months while my Edelux 1 + 2 lamps have been running strong already for years. Plus the IQ X is very (!) sensive for correct adjustment otherwise it will blind other traffic very badly.

Last edited by berlinonaut; 03-01-18 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-01-18, 09:48 AM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Do you enjoy posting uninteresting posts at great length? I stopped reading after the first oversize graphic. It must be annoying to have to be right all the time.

Nevertheless, the fact is the dynamo in the hub and the lights are a waste of money. I paid 380THB for front and rear USB lights and 15 € in France.

No doubt you'll wish to prove this wrong, but I suspect that's a fair bit cheaper than the Brompton product.
Old 03-01-18, 10:13 AM
Caliwild

Originally Posted by Joe Remi
You're good to go with GA2 grips. Pre-2017 Brommies used short grips, but the bars have been redesigned to use the standard 130mm length now. GA2 is 132, which is close enough.

I prefer the GP1 model with the paddles in Small for my small hands; the GA2 looks to me to be a more traditional round-ish grip which probably works better for trail riding.

Much obliged...
Old 03-01-18, 10:32 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Much obliged...
I bought some GA2 to try on my pakiT - really did not like them. I don't know what possessed me to even try them since I love my Portland Design Works Whiskey grips (like a leather version of the Ergo GP1). Well, I do know - they weigh less; weight isn't everything, lol. Stupid suckers would not come off, not even with my usual sprays of soapy water or rubbing alcohol under so I ended up cracking the long plastic tube inside one.
Old 03-01-18, 11:14 AM
berlinonaut

Do you enjoy posting uninteresting posts at great length? I stopped reading after the first oversize graphic. It must be annoying to have to be right all the time.

Nevertheless, the fact is the dynamo in the hub and the lights are a waste of money. I paid 380THB for front and rear USB lights and 15 € in France.

No doubt you'll wish to prove this wrong, but I suspect that's a fair bit cheaper than the Brompton product.
You're a strange person that not only compares apples to oranges but insists that, as you had a mediocre experience with a very old and very cheap apple once for one that all apples are bad and to be avioded by everyone and second that all fruit are apples. Thus all fruit must be avoided as all fruit are apples and all apples are like the one you once had. And even when presented with a fresh Banana you insist on it to be an apple and to be bad because it would be an apple. A bit of a strange behavior, but it's your life, so have fun with it. But possibly you should stop giving people advice about food.

Last edited by berlinonaut; 03-01-18 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-01-18, 11:32 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
FWIW, B&M Eyc Senso T was part of my headlight dynamo installation ,, small, good fit under the front bag,

+ brighter being low, closer to the street ..

New Schmidt XS, Brompton wheel built around straight pull DB spokes, anodized..

prior XS used conventional spokes, crossed pattern .. a bit heavier and only in polished , finish , that hub is the factory option.

Or Shimano's , for the cost conscious..

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-01-18 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-01-18, 11:38 AM
Caliwild

Originally Posted by linberl
I bought some GA2 to try on my pakiT - really did not like them. I don't know what possessed me to even try them since I love my Portland Design Works Whiskey grips (like a leather version of the Ergo GP1). Well, I do know - they weigh less; weight isn't everything, lol. Stupid suckers would not come off, not even with my usual sprays of soapy water or rubbing alcohol under so I ended up cracking the long plastic tube inside one.

Thanks for the insight. I'll look at those PDW ones too... I forgot that they make grips...
Old 03-01-18, 12:18 PM
berlinonaut

Originally Posted by fietsbob
B&M Eyc Senso T
Nice option, too. Pretty decent light for the money and very small. Works very well on the Brompton and is reasonably cheap. The only (but to me very annoying) issue is that it has an electronic push button instead of a traditional switch. This makes turning the thing on and off a pain as it needs power for that and for power it needs a turning hub-dynamo-wheel. One can imagine where that goes. In my eyes an over-engineering and even nobody at Busch and Müller could explain to me where the advantage of such a push button over a switch might be. Same issue with the IQ X btw., unnessesary and stupid. At least in terms of drag not much of a drama with the SON but clearly with the Shimano.
Old 03-01-18, 12:32 PM
fietsbob
Banned

never touch the button, Senso turns it* off, but LED has such a long life,mine will expire first, ..

* T is day time running, the bright one comes on at dusk, the 2 flat diodes run in day mode and for the standlight..
Old 03-01-18, 01:08 PM
berlinonaut

never touch the button, Senso turns it* off, but LED has such a long life,mine will expire first, ..

* T is day time running, the bright one comes on at dusk, the 2 flat diodes run in day mode and for the standlight..
Yeah, possibly the T-version is the better choice. Unfortunately the non-T-version does not have a sensor, thus is powered up all the time to the full unless you switch it off manually and consumes energy that way. An even a sensor may be an issue, depending from the lamp as below a Brompton-bag on the carrier blog most lamps (respectively their sensors) assume it would be night, even in brightest sunshine.
Old 03-01-18, 01:44 PM
fietsbob
Banned

I don't know if Peter White carries any other Eyc versions, My LBS has a dealer account, with him, Wholesale Importer .

run the Line toplight line in the B M3L reflector bracket..

assume it would be night, even in brightest sunshine.
the assumption, on your part, is the problem, it proves to not be true..

Old 03-01-18, 01:59 PM
berlinonaut

the assumption, on your part, is the problem, it proves to not be true..

Not my assumption, the one of the lamp. This is the case with the IQ X and a Brompton bag as well as with the Edellux. With the Eyc until now I only used the non-sensor-version as it is cheaper (you can get it around 33€ in Germany) and I do not see much benefit in a daytime-light personally. Therefor I prefer the light to be turned off during daylight and on during the night.
Old 03-01-18, 02:10 PM
fietsbob
Banned

anyhow with my O bag on, over it, in daylight, only the be seen day running lights are on,
not the see by bright heatsink connected one.

What ever.. bottle dynamos come off the tire completely.. if the tiny light on drag is too much for you.
Old 03-01-18, 02:38 PM
berlinonaut

What ever.. bottle dynamos come off the tire completely.. if the tiny light on drag is too much for you.
I use SON dynamos and Edelux2 lights on the two Bromptons I use the most. The Edelux has a mechanical switch and the SON does not produce much drag anyway. Another Brompton uses battery lights and the one that get's used the least uses a Shimano dynamo and an Edelux1 lamp, again having a physical switch. I had the IQ X on one of the Bromptons but replaced it with another Edelux when it died because of the electronic push button along with the issues with quality and blinding. So no issue for me.
Old 03-01-18, 02:53 PM
fietsbob
Banned

I have an Edelux 1* on 2 bikes , neither are Bromptons.. both have SON hubs..

* eDelux 2 not made back then..

Its a town here not a big city..
Old 03-02-18, 04:12 PM
odiolalluvia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would never in my life consider using a bike without dynamo lighting as my daily city bike. Never any fear of running out of charge. They're always on. Don't have to remember to take them off and put them on, charge them or replace batteries. Also, the beam shape of the IQ-X which will work with any dynamo system on Brompton is pretty much perfect. Puts all the light onto the ground in a bright wide beam. I don't know why anyone would want to fuss with USB lights
Old 03-02-18, 05:49 PM
Caliwild

Not sure how this turned into a USB vs. dynamo light thread, but thanks for the responses anyway!
Old 03-02-18, 05:57 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 587 Posts
Not sure how this turned into a USB vs. dynamo light thread, but thanks for the responses anyway!
This is why I rarely post anything nowadays, as the members tend to derail the threads with their own trivial bologna. Ask a question, get nonsensical off topic answers. Ask about Brompton choices, and wind up with debates over lighting that you really couldn't care less about. Ask about inexpensive folders, get recommend a $3000 folder, and also get told that you didn't respect their responses because you're not willing to put a few extra bucks into it.

Last edited by tds101; 03-02-18 at 06:00 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.