Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

PBP Audax

Old 08-31-19, 08:51 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
PBP Audax

On the RUSA website is a brief history of the PBP. It's a pretty good introduction to the subject. I've read it more than once.

Among other things, it mentions a PBP Audax, that is, a group ride. Not the Brevet. The website says "The Union des Audax Française, successor to the UAP, has continued to organize the "PBP Audax" at five-year intervals since 1951.)"

Elsewhere on the RUSA site I read as follows:

"Along with annual regional brevets of 200-, 300-, and 400-kilometers, the audax riders also put on their own version of PBP every five years. Like the ACP's PBP Randonneurs, the UAF's PBP Audaxis about 1200 kilometers long and there is a ninety-hour time limit. After that the differences are quite noticeable. The audax ride closely parallels the original PBP route along the N-12 highway to Brest. The older route has less climbing than the more tranquil but hillier ACP route used since 1979."

So I googled "PBP Audax" and found no more than that. I think i found the
Union des Audax Française website but it's late and I did not feel like wading through the French just now. Could it be that there's no internet chatter about this at all?

if you know anything about the PBP Audax, or other Audax rides, I'd like to hear about it. Do any Americans ride it?
Old 08-31-19, 08:56 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
True Audax style riding means that the group stays together and rides at a 22.5 km/h (I think) pace. I don't think it's popular outside of Europe.

The style of randonnees you're familiar with is more popular.

And a brevet is the card you get signed.

History - Randonneur Cycling & Related Subjects

https://www.randonneursontario.ca/history/index.html

https://www.audax.uk/about-us/history/

Last edited by Machka; 08-31-19 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-31-19, 09:20 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
On the RUSA website is a brief history of the PBP. It's a pretty good introduction to the subject. I've read it more than once.

Among other things, it mentions a PBP Audax, that is, a group ride. Not the Brevet. The website says "The Union des Audax Française, successor to the UAP, has continued to organize the "PBP Audax" at five-year intervals since 1951.)"

Elsewhere on the RUSA site I read as follows:

"Along with annual regional brevets of 200-, 300-, and 400-kilometers, the audax riders also put on their own version of PBP every five years. Like the ACP's PBP Randonneurs, the UAF's PBP Audaxis about 1200 kilometers long and there is a ninety-hour time limit. After that the differences are quite noticeable. The audax ride closely parallels the original PBP route along the N-12 highway to Brest. The older route has less climbing than the more tranquil but hillier ACP route used since 1979."

So I googled "PBP Audax" and found no more than that. I think i found the
Union des Audax Française website but it's late and I did not feel like wading through the French just now. Could it be that there's no internet chatter about this at all?

if you know anything about the PBP Audax, or other Audax rides, I'd like to hear about it. Do any Americans ride it?
As someone who enjoys brevets a heck of a lot more when a couple friends are along for the ride, I've long wished audax-style riding were more popular here. Poking around the UAF site (thank you Google Translate!), it looks like the last PBP Audax was 2016, so the next will be in 2021.

On a side note, I had no idea they did other activities in the audax style as well: walking, cross-country skiing, swimming...!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 08-31-19 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-31-19, 09:22 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
there was just a post on facebook about this, I think. Central Florida randonneurs does some audax events 200km UAF Audax Brevet (St. Petersburg-Tarpon Springs), 12 October 2019 | Central Florida Randonneurs
Pretty sure it is their RBA that has done Audax PBP.

here is a google groups link, might have to join the group
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!se...o/vaeBXfnqBgAJ
Old 08-31-19, 09:44 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Hmm! I wonder if there's interest in an Audax event in the Mid-Atlantic region!

With PBP Audax, I wonder how big it is, whether the experience compares to the PBP Randonneurs, and so on.
Old 09-01-19, 03:11 PM
antimonysarah

Bikes: Nishiki Bel-Air, Brompton P6L, Seven Resolute SLX, Co-motion Divide, Xtracycle RFA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts
Paul Rozelle, the central Florida RBA is really excited about Audax and would probably be happy to hear from someone considering running events elsewhere. He’s done both PBPs.
Old 09-02-19, 06:37 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by antimonysarah
Paul Rozelle, the central Florida RBA is really excited about Audax and would probably be happy to hear from someone considering running events elsewhere. He’s done both PBPs.
Signal boost to @The Octopus.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-02-19, 07:13 PM
The Octopus 

Bikes: Dolan Forza; IRO Jamie Roy; Giant TCR Comp 1; Specialized Tri-Cross Sport; '91 Cannondale tandem; Fuji Tahoe MTB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Octopus here. Couple of things re: audax.

First, PBP-Audax will be held next year -- in 2020! -- from June 27 to July 1. Starting next year, it's going to be every four (not five) years, so it will always follow the year after PBP-Randonneur. There's some additional information on PBP Audax on this thread and I also did a write-up of our first 200K audax brevet here in Central Florida, which you can find here. You can also find some additional information on audax by surfing through the Central Florida Randonneurs website.

Second, audax brevets are fantastic. You start together, ride together, and finish together. No worries about navigation. Stops are preordained. The sit-down meals are luxurious. You get real sleep, in a real bed, at the overnights. Think of it as a giant fleche. We've been running audax brevets in Central Florida for four years, and in 2020, we are hosting a full series (200, 300, 400, and 600) of audax brevets. Attendance on these rides has ranged from a low of 13 (on a 300K) to a high of 27 (on a 200K). We had 16 riders on our 400K. PBP-Audax in 2016 had about 90 riders. I did a 1000K audax this summer (Paris-le Tourmalet), that had 26 riders (and a 100% completion rate).

You'll see on our website that the UAF also sanctions juniors events, and we hosted three of those in 2019 (and are hosting six next year). That's right: brevets for kids. Needless to say, these are completely awesome!

Anyway, I'm glad to answer questions here or off-line -- my contact info is on the Central Florida website and anyone with questions about audax, and PBP-Audax in particular, is welcome to email or call. I'll be in Paris again next summer for PBP-Audax, and perhaps some of y'all will join me. It's an amazing adventure.

Paul Rozelle, #2955
RBA, Central Florida
PBP-Randonneur 2007, 2011, 2015, 2019
PBP-Audax 2016