Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Losing weight due to braces

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Old 10-31-19, 09:09 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts

anyone get braces, later in life, & find it helped them lose weight, cuz it cut down on their snacking?
Old 10-31-19, 10:56 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked 838 Times in 406 Posts
If that worked you'd have 80% of America wearing braces.
Old 10-31-19, 11:12 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

awww shucks, just when I was getting my hopes up!
Old 10-31-19, 12:21 PM
SpinClassSara

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Sure, I had Invisalyn and lost 10 lbs. It came back after I was done, though.
Old 10-31-19, 12:31 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
Smoothies?
Old 11-02-19, 01:18 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Cutting food intake and eating less doesn't necessarily mean that you're going to loose fat.
Old 11-02-19, 06:56 PM
dieselgoat

Bikes: Too damn many to list, seriously.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
I got braces in 2011 at the age of 48. In about two months, I lost 10-15 pounds. My teeth hurt for the first few weeks. Nothing terrible, but it hurt to chew certain things. Also, they were a pain to clean so I never snacked after I had cleaned them in the evening. After a few months, they didn't bother me anymore.
Old 11-06-19, 01:27 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Yeah, there's nothing quite like medical issues for weight loss.

Mine wasn't from braces. But thyroid cancer and subsequent endocrine problems forced a dietary change. I couldn't metabolize alcohol anymore. I used to love beer, but it doesn't love me anymore. One beer gives me hangover type symptoms and body aches, often within a few hours. Just cutting way back on the beer resulted in losing 10 lbs since 2017.

Before surgery a year ago the thyroid tumor was constricting my esophagus so badly I could hardly swallow solid food. For a few months I was on a mostly liquid diet, other than oatmeal, yogurt and ground beef, chicken salad or tuna salad without bread or buns, etc. -- bread tended to get stuck in my throat, which can be a panic-inducing sensation. I wasn't getting enough protein so I mixed up a lot of smoothies, including fresh and frozen fruit. But there's a lot of sugar in that so I don't often add frozen fruit anymore. Mostly I use the lower sugar content protein powders.

I still have a little discomfort swallowing but not enough to hinder my appetite.

I still have about 5 lbs of belly fat, between the tummy and over the kidneys. If I really made an effort I could get down from 150 to 140 lbs. But there's no point since I'm not training for anything, other than enjoying a few spirited group rides. My only goal was to not be that guy everyone is waiting for at the top of the hill. I'm there now. And I'd need to cut out pretty much all sugar and sweets. I've already cut way back. I'm not Harry Hairshirt enough to cut out sugar from my coffee or the occasional cookie or donut.
Old 12-02-19, 11:55 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I've cut way back on sugary snacks, ice cream and pie and have gotten down to slightly less than high school weight. I worked on a farm in those days and was more muscular so being under the weight of my 17 y.o. self is about right.
Old 12-02-19, 08:44 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
I met a cyclist the other day who uses removable braces. Invisalign, I presume. He says he can't do hard workouts or fast club rides wearing 'em. If they're that easy to remove and insert, it probably wouldn't be much of a deterrent to snacking.

Even the swallowing difficulty I described above wouldn't be much of a deterrent if I hadn't also cut back on the beer and empty calories. I could just as easily have switched from solid food to milk shakes and beer to supplement my diet.

For me, the most effective deterrent to consuming empty calories -- excess sugar, carbs beyond what I burn with exercise -- is to eat more meat to stay satiated and not risk the low blood sugar that drives cravings for many folks. A friend who's gone full keto/paleo had the same experience. The only diet that worked for him and his wife to overcome decades of obesity was switching to a diet heavy on meat. But I exercise a lot more than he does so I can burn off enough calories to offset my occasional indulgences.
Old 07-04-21, 08:36 PM
rumrunn6

meanwhile, 1 year 9 months later (from pondering the question), I can say that wearing invisaline aligners top & bottom for 11 months has not lead to weight loss. they have interfered with & altered eating habits but not resulting in weight loss. perhaps if there was no planetary pandemic, which shut down my physical activity & altered my normal eating, they would have, but I will never know
Old 07-06-21, 09:09 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 161 Posts
Thanks for the update.