Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

A little chilly, Let's ride !

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-21, 04:57 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 870 Times in 443 Posts

It's half day Friday so that means it's time to go play in the woods. I spent a tad over 2 1/2 hours just having a great time enjoying the nice fresh air. I did talk to my friend the other day who has been using Zwift riding indoor this winter. He said there is no way you can enjoy yourself riding out in cold weather. As I told him I'm cold for maybe the first 5 minutes of my ride. Then I'm nice and toasty and at different points of my ride I'm removing some layers so I don't overheat. I gave up my rollers many years ago and won't go back to indoor riding. How many of you find it fun riding outdoors during the winter ?
Likes For ZIPP2001:
Old 02-20-21, 03:24 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
I have recently been Zwifting more than outdooring due to snow and ice, and I am going a bit stir crazy. The real outside is so much more fun, especially during the never-ending pandemic which is way too indoors-y.

My studded tires are overdue for showing up, with them I hope to be back out on the road full-time.
Likes For scottfsmith:
Old 02-20-21, 08:19 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 870 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by scottfsmith
I have recently been Zwifting more than outdooring due to snow and ice, and I am going a bit stir crazy. The real outside is so much more fun, especially during the never-ending pandemic which is way too indoors-y.

My studded tires are overdue for showing up, with them I hope to be back out on the road full-time.
By adding a Fat bike to my stable it has really made riding outside during the winter a blast.
Old 02-21-21, 10:45 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Here there is real snow to ride in maybe a couple days a year at most (zero for the previous two years in fact), not much chance for a fat bike. There is a lot of water that freezes though and I really hate hitting the deck, done that far too many times over the years so I stopped riding when there is ice about.

Soon I should have some Schwalbe studded tires to my rescue! Tracking says they will be here tomorrow. Today I should also be able to ride as long as I stick to sunny roads, the high is 35F.
Likes For scottfsmith:
Old 02-21-21, 12:48 PM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts
Last year I owned only a road bike, so was mainly on Zwift in the winter. This year was the same until early January...weather was good and I got outside a couple of times on the road bike. I then decided I needed another gravel bike so I can ride outdoors more, in not the best conditions usually only reserved for the road bike, and then of course I can ride gravel trails and roads around where I live other times of the year. I've put on about 500k on the gravel bike in a month and couldn't be happier. Had one day I should have stayed home due to conditions, but otherwise with planning I'm able to ride more than I thought. I'm now on Zwift 1-2x a week at most. So happy!
Likes For Noonievut:
Old 02-23-21, 04:43 AM
No Mojo

Bikes: Emonda SL7

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 12 Posts
In the winter I’ll typically Zwift on weeknights after work and ride outside on weekends. Zwift helps keep my fitness up and riding outside keeps me mentally healthy.
Likes For No Mojo:
Old 02-23-21, 08:45 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

I also do some evening Zwifting during the week in the winter.. the main problem with outside is it is dark after work. But unless it is both dark and really cold (or wet, or icy), I prefer the outside ride with a light. Zwift has a long ways to go before it is as immersive as the real thing.