Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Green bike of the future

Notices
Foo Light hearted off-topic chit chat with no general subject.

Green bike of the future

Old 02-21-21, 10:38 AM
Olefeller77 

Bikes: Trek Marlin 6 29r - Scattanti road bike w carbon fork - Trek 6500 - Univega Alpina 503 - Specialized Sworks M4 made in USA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 56 Posts
Green bike of the future

With this "green" movement in full swing now, what will the bike of the green future look like? . I would imagine there will be new products to replace the nasty oil related products in use now. I suppose the cable housings, tires, bar grips and wraps, plastic/carbon frames and paint will all be made of new products.
I'll be holding out for levitation regardless of the finished product. lol
Old 02-21-21, 12:42 PM
skidder
Bipsycorider

Bikes: Why yes, I do have a few! Thank you for asking!

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 290 Posts
Maybe get rid of carbon fiber parts and frames? They're not recyclable when no longer usable, and the fabrication process involves resins made from petrochemicals. Maybe use something recyclable, like . . . steel, or . . . aluminum?

Tires and tubes - rubber can be recycled, not sure if bicycle tires are included in the automotive-centered scrap tire recycling process.

Bicycles are already pretty efficient vehicles, so not sure there are any appreciable gains that can be made in the use of recyclable materials to either make new bicycles or in the scrap from worn-out bicycles. .
Likes For skidder:
Old 02-21-21, 02:31 PM
Hondo Gravel
es ist mir egal

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 2,309 Times in 1,490 Posts
Burning calories instead of fossil fuels...
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 02-21-21, 05:26 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 429 Times in 294 Posts
Whenever I see some smug looking Prius driver when I'm riding my 20? year old bike that's been faithfully helping me get around for years I look at them and notice they rarely look back. They know their carbon footprint is way higher than mine but don't want to admit it.
Likes For no motor?:
Old 02-21-21, 08:38 PM
Hondo Gravel
es ist mir egal

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 2,309 Times in 1,490 Posts
Listening to Bubba and Bubbette make fun of the Prius is depressing. You can imagine what comes out of their mouths . Bicycles will make the species extremely irate for no reason. Interesting phenomenon....
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 02-22-21, 12:55 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 381 Posts
i don't think there will ever be any bicycle (or anything else) that's truly green. it may be the best we can do is drastically reduce our disproportionate production and rampant consumerist tendencies. besides, it's hard to improve on a second hand steel bike if speaking purely in terms of being "green"
Likes For thook:
Old 02-22-21, 06:58 AM
J.Higgins 
Mentally Derailleured

Bikes: Bilenky Tourlite, Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1295 Post(s)
Liked 578 Times in 403 Posts
Using bare feet will forever be the only means of truly "green" transportation.
Old 02-22-21, 09:37 AM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 178 Posts
The bike itself it pretty ‘green’ already. However the manufacturing process and lifecycle has a pretty linear model. To be more ‘green’ bicycle manufacturing itself needs to be greener.
Old 02-22-21, 09:42 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1601 Post(s)
Liked 363 Times in 240 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder View Post
Maybe get rid of carbon fiber parts and frames? They're not recyclable when no longer usable, and the fabrication process involves resins made from petrochemicals...
https://www.compositesworld.com/arti...f-carbon-fiber

https://carbonconversions.com/
Old 02-22-21, 09:51 AM
skijor
on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 326 Posts
Kale bike frames. Hey, it's been done with bamboo. When you're done riding it, toss it in the blender for a smoothie.
Likes For skijor:
Old 02-22-21, 10:02 AM
late

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 10501 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 484 Posts
We need to rebuild cities to be energy efficient.

Part of that will be transportation, of course. Bikes will be a big part of that. Look at what the Netherlands has done. But there will be a lot of niches. Needs R&D, but small vehicles weighing at most a few hundred pounds, will play a role.
Likes For late:
Old 02-22-21, 10:07 AM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 178 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder View Post
Maybe get rid of carbon fiber parts and frames? They're not recyclable when no longer usable, and the fabrication process involves resins made from petrochemicals. Maybe use something recyclable, like . . . steel, or . . . aluminum?
Aluminum almost certainly has a much higher carbon footprint compared to carbon fiber. Also, because of structural concerns, I would guess only virgin aluminum is used for frames or components. Titanium would be even worse. Steel would also have a high carbon footprint, but depends on how much recycled steel is used. Overall carbon fibers lifecycle carbon footprint is probably similar or lower than metal frames and parts.
Old 02-22-21, 10:28 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 10713 Post(s)
Liked 2,730 Times in 1,875 Posts
OK so steel is out, aluminum is out, and CF is out... pretty much brings us to this:

Available here: https://booomers.com/

Now if they can just do something about all those pesky wheels and components... SIGH.
Old 02-22-21, 11:03 AM
J.Higgins 
Mentally Derailleured

Originally Posted by late View Post

Part of that will be transportation, of course. Bikes will be a big part of that. Look at what the Netherlands has done. But there will be a lot of niches. Needs R&D, but small vehicles weighing at most a few hundred pounds, will play a role.
I'd like to see a small electric vehicle that uses the same tech as the E-bikes we're seeing. These vehicles would bridge the gap between electric cars and electric bikes. Obviously, the tech would need to be beefier to haul more weight, operate in adverse conditions, etc. Maybe I'm dreaming, but it'd be nice to have an enclosed vehicle that I could run out for shopping and not have to pay the high dividends we're seeing for the electric vehicles coming out on the market.
Old 02-22-21, 11:22 AM
late

Originally Posted by J.Higgins View Post

I'd like to see a small electric vehicle that uses the same tech as the E-bikes we're seeing. These vehicles would bridge the gap between electric cars and electric bikes. Obviously, the tech would need to be beefier to haul more weight, operate in adverse conditions, etc. Maybe I'm dreaming, but it'd be nice to have an enclosed vehicle that I could run out for shopping and not have to pay the high dividends we're seeing for the electric vehicles coming out on the market.
At the moment, it's a cottage industry. What's needed is some R&D money to develop purpose built parts, like a scaled down version of what you see behind the front wheel of a front wheel drive car.

The technology already exists, and I'm pretty sure they'd sell like hotcakes in Europe, and for us once we start acting sane (you don't have to say it). There is a new generation of batteries coming, they'll be cheaper, and that will help with the cost, since 2 to 4KW of storage is quite expensive using lithium.
Likes For late:
Old 02-22-21, 07:41 PM
Zedoo
\_(ツ)_/

Bikes: several

Quoted: 1284 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 80 Posts
Leather seats and bigger tires for rougher roads, which will be more dirt and cobblestone and less asphalt. Maybe shaft drive. More utilitarian and practical designs, less sporty toys.
Old 02-22-21, 11:38 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

a few hundred pounds wouldn't be safe or durable in most cases of transportation. there's a lot to be said for the old vehicles made of steel and road like a boat. mainly, they're repairable and could last the lifetime of it's owner. new cars in part are repairable, but if wrecked, for example, they're hugely expensive to do so and in many cases simply have to be totaled. while they're better at fuel consumption, they still draw on a lot more resource and industry operation for production (mostly foreign in both cases) than the old cars. iow's, the materials needed to produce the old were far fewer and were sourced and assembled right at home with far less transport.....which is another huge...really huge....carbon factor. so, if you really start thinking about it, the carbon print with "greener" cars is a bit of a toss. and, i'm not trying to be a debbie downer, either. it's something i've given plenty of thought to.

it may have been in the 70's, but there was a fellow through methods and modification was able to derive near or over 100mpg's on a carbureted vehicle. it may have been less, but still....even if it was say only 70mpg's, that's still better than any hybrid/green car in existence or that could be produced with current "allowed" technology (ie...not suppressed).
Old 02-23-21, 01:22 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

here's the story.....

https://wikispeedca.blogspot.com/201...miles-per.html
Old 02-23-21, 01:30 AM
late

Originally Posted by thook View Post
We've had fuel injection for a long time, if it sounds too good to be true...
Old 02-23-21, 02:02 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

We've had fuel injection for a long time, if it sounds too good to be true...
i'm aware of that. been working on efi vehicles for near 20 yrs and they really could be better. but, that cuts in to profits, so....
Old 02-23-21, 05:12 AM
skier

Bikes: Performer X-Low, Catrike Trail, Windcheetah Club Sport, HPV Grasshopper, FAW+ Velomobile (under construction)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 17 Posts
In my opinion a true green bike of the future would need to replace a car for the majority of users for the majority of their needs.

To accomplish that it would need to do the following
  1. Cover a 20 mile commute in under an hour.
  2. Provide comfortable riding in all weather conditions
  3. Get the user to the destination with minimal sweating
  4. Carry groceries and other small items.
In my opinion the only way to do this is an electric assist velomobile. And it would still struggle with acceptance since many people would want the ability to carry a child or grandchild.
Old 02-23-21, 05:34 AM
J.Higgins 
Mentally Derailleured

At the moment, it's a cottage industry. What's needed is some R&D money to develop purpose built parts, like a scaled down version of what you see behind the front wheel of a front wheel drive car.

The technology already exists, and I'm pretty sure they'd sell like hotcakes in Europe, and for us once we start acting sane (you don't have to say it). There is a new generation of batteries coming, they'll be cheaper, and that will help with the cost, since 2 to 4KW of storage is quite expensive using lithium.
I believe they would sell very well in Europe and possibly Japan. I think that if these little vehicles are slow enough, light enough, and strong enough, the USA would need to relax their safety standards enough to allow them on the roads in quantity.
Old 02-23-21, 06:43 AM
late

Originally Posted by J.Higgins View Post

the USA would need to relax their safety standards enough to allow them on the roads in quantity.
Jane Jacobs liked to say that roads are city killers. You'd need to read her work to fully understand.

If you limit larger vehicles to what is absolutely needed, safety isn't an issue. You can limit trucks to the night, limit where cars can go, basically shoving most of them out of the city, and limiting the rest to the outskirts.

Cities are for people.
Likes For late:
Old 02-23-21, 04:46 PM
Zedoo
\_(ツ)_/

Bikes: several

Quoted: 1284 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by skier View Post
To accomplish that it would need to do the following
  1. Cover a 20 mile commute in under an hour
Driving is only one part of the energy cost of suburban living. Others are electricity loss as waste heat over miles of steel wire, pumping water for many extra miles, maintaining many extra miles of roads, mowing lawns, heating big drafty houses, etc. Bikes won't save the burbs. Farmers may bike 20 miles, but urbanites are more likely to ride in the single digits.
Old 02-24-21, 06:58 AM
late

Originally Posted by Zedoo View Post

Driving is only one part of the energy cost of suburban living. Others are electricity loss as waste heat over miles of steel wire, pumping water for many extra miles, maintaining many extra miles of roads, mowing lawns, heating big drafty houses, etc. Bikes won't save the burbs. Farmers may bike 20 miles, but urbanites are more likely to ride in the single digits.
There is nothing that can save the burbs, and you just laid out why. The costs exceed what the tax base can afford in most places.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.