Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

First Crash of the Winter

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Old 02-21-21, 06:10 PM
xyz
Banned.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6072 Post(s)
Liked 894 Times in 712 Posts

Wet snow sort of pushed me into the snowbank where I slowed and tipped over. I have to say, falling over when there is a couple inches of snow on the pavement is about the easiest crash I have ever had.
Likes For xyz:
Old 02-21-21, 07:01 PM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by xyz
Wet snow sort of pushed me into the snowbank where I slowed and tipped over. I have to say, falling over when there is a couple inches of snow on the pavement is about the easiest crash I have ever had.
Good to hear it wasn’t a disaster!

I went fat biking yesterday, groomed trails but snow was soft and really hard not to lose momentum and traction numerous times. Had to step off 50+ times...always into 1-3ft of fluffy white stuff.
Old 02-21-21, 07:13 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
It snowed here Friday but today the roads were clear so i went out. I don't mind the wet, but ice is a no go.
Old 02-21-21, 07:35 PM
xyz
Banned.

Originally Posted by GlennR
It snowed here Friday but today the roads were clear so i went out. I don't mind the wet, but ice is a no go.
With studs the ice is easy, the wet snow is the hard part.
Likes For xyz:
Old 02-21-21, 07:37 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by xyz
With studs the ice is easy, the wet snow is the hard part.
Well, I ride rode so studded tires would be a rough ride. And taking a turn and hitting ice is a sure way to a bad day.
Old 02-21-21, 07:37 PM
xyz
Banned.

Originally Posted by Noonievut
Good to hear it wasn’t a disaster!

I went fat biking yesterday, groomed trails but snow was soft and really hard not to lose momentum and traction numerous times. Had to step off 50+ times...always into 1-3ft of fluffy white stuff.
Yeah, I should have done that as soon as I started drifting over, but you only get a couple of seconds to decide and I wasn't doing a turn.
Old 03-22-21, 04:27 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
I went down twice on the first day of spring in Wyoming. Both times tried to negotiate snow or mud at low speed when I should have walked the bike or picked up speed. No injury or damage to the bike.
Old 03-23-21, 11:32 AM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
Sorry for the late reply. Glad to hear you're ok!
Old 03-23-21, 10:07 PM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
A few weeks back I had a 17 km/h crash on packed snow, definitely the fastest crash I've ever had. The snow had been super grippy with studs so I'm not quite sure what caused it. My guess is that there was a hidden parallel ice ridge that I rode up onto then the front tire slipped off of. Lost the front end, made one of those instinctive corrections and thought for an instant that I might have saved it. Then the realization that I'm beyond the point of no return, and what seemed like an eternity before I hit the ground.

I managed to a land pretty flat on my side and other than getting smacked in the shin by a pedal I was good. I do my best to keep my hands on the bars during a crash, I figure that is safest option. Barely any soreness the next day, not enough to keep me off the bike. Even flat layer of packed snow meant no road rash or damaged clothing.

I've got a pretty good run of rides going this month. The day we got the snow is the only day in March that I haven't gone for a ride.
Old 03-26-21, 02:47 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7333 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,419 Posts
Does anyone here practice falling? I try to do it once a year. I discovered that I fall better and hurt myself less when I've practiced. I once had a really bad night of falling on the ice three times. It was weird how little I got hurt, and then I realized it was because of my rehearsals. I practice not from the bike but just from standing.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-26-21, 06:12 PM
xyz
Banned.

Originally Posted by noglider
Does anyone here practice falling? I try to do it once a year. I discovered that I fall better and hurt myself less when I've practiced. I once had a really bad night of falling on the ice three times. It was weird how little I got hurt, and then I realized it was because of my rehearsals. I practice not from the bike but just from standing.
For sliding when you hit a corner, sure. Some crashes would be hard to train for. Guess the sliding into a corner would be the common one for winter/rain conditions. Like 5ish years ago I was riding up one of those little hills where it gets steeper the closer you get to the peak. Right at the steepest part I slipped the chain off the freewheel trying to downshift. In general it's easy to pop it back on while riding, but not enough time for that. Dropped my sternum right onto the bar end that was braced against the pavement. Nice bruise.