Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Do you pack tools and a spare on your SS or Fixed?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Do you pack tools and a spare on your SS or Fixed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-21, 07:07 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 988 Times in 520 Posts
Yes, a 4mm, 5mm, and 6 mm allen wrench, 8mm, 9mm, and 10mm box and open end wrenches, a 14/15mm combo open wrench
a small screw driver.and a rag
a tube that fits the bike.
Old 03-22-21, 02:33 AM
Onfixiate
ABQ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
OP's real question is "Are you self-reliant when riding your bike?" Well, I am, and I don't stop for people who aren't. I only offer help when I see that the rider appears to have everything they need, AND knows what they're doing. If you're standing there looking lost , or pushing your bike along, I will pretend you're not there.

What the hell kind of question is this? Do you just ride the sidewalks around your block?
Likes For Onfixiate:
Old 03-22-21, 02:52 AM
j_e_r_e_m_y

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Onfixiate
If you're standing there looking lost , or pushing your bike along, I will pretend you're not there... What the hell kind of question is this? Do you just ride the sidewalks around your block?
I was on the fence for a while but when I got to that part, I knew you must be a really good guy.
Old 03-22-21, 09:44 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
OP's real question is "Are you self-reliant when riding your bike?" Well, I am, and I don't stop for people who aren't. I only offer help when I see that the rider appears to have everything they need, AND knows what they're doing. If you're standing there looking lost , or pushing your bike along, I will pretend you're not there.

What the hell kind of question is this? Do you just ride the sidewalks around your block?
My past two flats occurred a very short distance from my house (thanks to a pothole the county says is not their problem and the HOA says is not their problem) Granted I noticed both flats after I got in the house but had I not I would have surely fixed my flats then and there with chewing gum and a cool stick that looks a little like Steve Buscemi from the right angle. I was only looking lost because I can scam motorists out of their GPS directions...LOL
Old 03-23-21, 04:59 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
i do.
i pack my waterbottle storage gizmo with everything i may need as i ride it in nyc..big city few shops.
Old 03-23-21, 06:41 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3350 Post(s)
Liked 3,622 Times in 1,240 Posts
Like pretty much everyone I carry the usual tire repair stuff. As has been alluded to, the benefit of riding nice supple tires is absolutely worth the increased flat risk. As an added benefit, in my experience nicer tires are actually easier to get on and off the rim than some super tough commuter tires, so even if you do get a flat it's just a minor inconvenience that takes just a few minutes to fix, sometimes even without tire levers!

An additional item I have started carrying is a small length of chain - like 2 or 3 links. If you don't have much flexibility in chain length given your wheel position in the track ends and tire clearance, having a spare few links and a chain tool could mean the difference between fixing a chain failure and riding home or being totally out of luck. Granted, with a properly set up and maintained drivetrain a chain failure is very unlikely, but I've had it happen before...
Old 03-23-21, 06:57 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Originally Posted by veganbikes
...Pinion drive and Rohloff with belt drive and plenty of tire clearance and room to carry bags and go touring and have all kinds of fun.
Lets see, the Pinion is an 18 speed gearbox with a 636% range and the Rohloff is a 14 speed 526% hub...I don't even want to imagine what the shifting pattern on that would be

I've seen some people do some wild things with hybrid gearing before but that's on a whole other level!
Old 03-24-21, 08:24 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by abshipp
Lets see, the Pinion is an 18 speed gearbox with a 636% range and the Rohloff is a 14 speed 526% hub...I don't even want to imagine what the shifting pattern on that would be

I've seen some people do some wild things with hybrid gearing before but that's on a whole other level!
Go big or go home. Though if someone still made those 3 speed hubs with a free hub on it (Like SRAM DD3) switch it to a 12 speed freehub and then a Pinion 18 with a double crank at the front. Nearly 1300 different gears. Complete and utter ridiculousness and if you did it right you could get SRAM, Campy. Shimano and Pinion all on one bike. SRAM DD3 and Campy 12 speed at the rear (someone would need to make a new axle and custom free hub that is campy 12 speed compatible) and then a Shimano GRX front derailleur with the Pinion system it would be absolute brilliance like a United Nations of even worse ideas and too many gears.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-25-21, 10:46 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I only offer help when I see that the rider appears to have everything they need, AND knows what they're doing.
Then what would be the point?
Old 03-26-21, 07:10 AM
samkl 

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520, resto-modded 1987 Cannondale SR400, rando-modded 1976 AD Vent Noir; 2019 Wabi Classic; 1989? Burley Duet

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 51 Posts
I think tools and a pump and reasonable tires weigh a helluva lot less that Schwalbe Marathon Pluses.
Old 03-31-21, 08:10 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 407 Times in 253 Posts
I have two Yellow Line Rule tool rolls. I don't think they are in business any more though, unfortunately. Really excellent tool roll that look retro but carry any tools you need. I carry a chain breaker, spoke wrench, PB Swiss multi-tool, Park patches and a spare tube. If I'm on a long ride I ditch the tool roll and carry just a spare tube, patches and the multi-tool in my jersey pocket.

Likes For drlogik:
Old 04-01-21, 09:45 AM
abshipp 

Go big or go home.
So...this you?
Likes For abshipp:
Old 04-01-21, 10:01 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

I mean I had been thinking about that for a long time. It is kind of sad that is just an April Fools joke. If someone with some serious machining and design skills could take internals of the Rohloff and mate it to a 12 speed free hub and add a front derailleur for at least a double you could really have a few extra gears (a little over 6k to be fair)

I love it and hope to see more like it.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-01-21, 10:50 AM
abshipp 

I mean I had been thinking about that for a long time. It is kind of sad that is just an April Fools joke. If someone with some serious machining and design skills could take internals of the Rohloff and mate it to a 12 speed free hub and add a front derailleur for at least a double you could really have a few extra gears (a little over 6k to be fair)

I love it and hope to see more like it.
I don't think it would actually be terribly difficult to do - at least physically making the parts. The Rohloff uses a carrier for the cog and freehub body geometry is well defined so you'd just have to combine the two, plus a longer axle and you'd be pretty much there. I think the biggest concern would be axle strength since if you just made the axle longer you'd have a long unsupported length outboard of the bearings.

Plus you may need to use fat bike rear spacing to get it all to fit and chainline might end up being a mess
Likes For abshipp:
Old 04-01-21, 11:28 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

I don't think it would actually be terribly difficult to do - at least physically making the parts. The Rohloff uses a carrier for the cog and freehub body geometry is well defined so you'd just have to combine the two, plus a longer axle and you'd be pretty much there. I think the biggest concern would be axle strength since if you just made the axle longer you'd have a long unsupported length outboard of the bearings.

Plus you may need to use fat bike rear spacing to get it all to fit and chainline might end up being a mess
I figure I will need that or at least need boost or super boost spacing. It is probably doable but I would want to really do it right and kind of design around it rather than just kludge it together (if I were to do it of course)
Old 04-04-21, 07:49 PM
Lakerat

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 21 Posts
Phil Wood track hubs so I only need a hex key to remove wheels. Wouldn't be adverse to pulling out a tube while leaving the wheel in place if I had to. Spare tube, patch kit, small pump, and one tire lever in a under saddle bag.
Likes For Lakerat:
Old 07-16-21, 10:39 AM
browndude3649

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Had a bottle cage tool bag, i should get a newer one come to think.
Old 07-16-21, 12:18 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Since I live in a very steep area, my ss (running tubes) is generally for my shorter "fun" rides, while the geared (tubeless) bike gets the long hauls. So on the ss I rarely take anything other than a multitool. If I think I'll be out longer then I grab one spare tube, lever, and a mini pump.
One thing I did recently as en experiment, is I added some sealant to my tubes on this bike. I ride this thing off-road 70-80% of the time--fire roads, singletrack....have not flatted since. Either it's working or I've just been lucky (and I've now totally jinxed myself).
Likes For pbass:
Old 07-17-21, 02:21 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
FYI, on my bike that has track nuts I carry a Park DCW-4 13/15 double ended cone wrench. They're used to adjust hubs. It's super thin and takes up almost no space in the bottom of my saddle bag. They're just long enough to get good leverage and they're really stiff. You can get them for less than $10.

Old 07-17-21, 02:25 PM
browndude3649

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Lots of great replies to this thread!