Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

19 pitch

Old 03-26-21, 11:15 PM
Bikesarecool21

Bikes: 2019 specialized pitch & 2005 trek7300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
19 pitch

Hi there i have a 19 pitch 27.5 was wondering what the best after market parts to put on it? Thankyou
Old 03-27-21, 07:43 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikesarecool21
Hi there i have a 19 pitch 27.5 was wondering what the best after market parts to put on it? Thankyou
What is on it now?

Do some work, here. Give more complete info. Like the brand for instance. I assume spec....
Old 03-27-21, 11:45 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,867 Times in 2,580 Posts
Assuming you are talking about the Specialized bike the Pitch the best after market parts to put on it are the absolute bare minimum to keep it functional for long enough to save up the money for a more proper mountain bike. Any bikes with Tourney level components and cheaper cable brakes and forks that have no features just aren't going to be durable and reliable and aren't worth the money to upgrade aside from say a saddle or pedals you can move to a new bike. Bikes like that are designed to look enough like a mountain bike for the very occasional rider who is hitting pretty easy trails once and a while. You certainly can ride it and enjoy it but there are much better bikes out there that don't cost a fortune but are going to be leaps and bounds better with lockouts and better shifting drivetrains and hydraulic disc brakes.
Old 03-28-21, 06:04 PM
Bikesarecool21

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
2019 specialized pitch

All that's done to it right now its got ODI rogue lock on grips and bar ends race face ride flat pedals Clarks clout 1 hydraulic disc brakes giant seat shimano trigger shifters sram 8spd cassette and sram 8spd chain and cst rear tyre going to replace the stock Sr suntour xct hope this helps.
Old 03-28-21, 08:44 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

All that's done to it right now its got ODI rogue lock on grips and bar ends race face ride flat pedals Clarks clout 1 hydraulic disc brakes giant seat shimano trigger shifters sram 8spd cassette and sram 8spd chain and cst rear tyre going to replace the stock Sr suntour xct hope this helps.
That is a lot to put towards that bike. It is your money and some of it is fine because you could move it like grips and pedals but the Clarks brakes are not a huge upgrade and the CST tire might actually be a slight downgrade. Save your money towards a bike that works better for you and your riding.
Old 03-29-21, 09:20 PM
Bikesarecool21

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
019 specialized pitch

Well I would not of bought forks but the stock one cracked and the tire wore out and my brakes were only $129 but after the forks I think I'm done.
Old 03-30-21, 08:25 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,167 Times in 763 Posts
A decent front fork will cost more than that bike was new. Vegan bikes has given you some solid advice.
Old 03-30-21, 01:49 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
I don't know how any one can give any advice good or bad, until the OP tells what sort of riding they plan to do.

That bike could be all that is needed for a lot of the easy trail riding many people do... or not. Why suggest a new bike until one knows that.
Old 03-31-21, 08:01 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
I don't know how any one can give any advice good or bad, until the OP tells what sort of riding they plan to do.

That bike could be all that is needed for a lot of the easy trail riding many people do... or not. Why suggest a new bike until one knows that.
Pretty simple. He told us what parts he has already upgraded on the bike and then told us about more parts that he wants to upgrade.

All the money he spent already and wants to spend into the future on more upgrades = He should have just spent the money on a better bike in the first place. He would come out ahead if he did it that way.

This bike stuff isn't that difficult.
Old 03-31-21, 08:24 AM
Happy Feet

Originally Posted by prj71
Pretty simple. He told us what parts he has already upgraded on the bike and then told us about more parts that he wants to upgrade.

All the money he spent already and wants to spend into the future on more upgrades = He should have just spent the money on a better bike in the first place. He would come out ahead if he did it that way.

This bike stuff isn't that difficult.
No it's not that difficult.

He didn't describe the type of riding he does, so how can you tell if his bike is or isn't good enough? Crystal ball?
He also has invested in those upgrades on the bike he already has. Reflexively telling him to buy a new bike negates all that investment. Sort of a wasteful and unintelligent response until one knows what type of riding he will do.

I've been riding and building bikes for 50 years. This bike stuff isn't that difficult. Try something other than "buy a new bike" once in a while.
Old 03-31-21, 08:29 AM
prj71

No it's not that difficult.

He didn't describe the type of riding he does, so how can you tell if his bike is or isn't good enough? Crystal ball?
He also has invested in those upgrades on the bike he already has. Reflexively telling him to buy a new bike negates all that investment. Sort of a wasteful and unintelligent response until one knows what type of riding he will do.

I've been riding and building bikes for 50 years. This bike stuff isn't that difficult. Try something other than "buy a new bike" once in a while.
The type of riding he does doesn't apply here to what is being asked.

He told us he already upgraded some parts and wants to upgrade more parts. It's a $500 bike and it sounds like it has a broken fork. Between all the money he has spent on the bike and the price to replace the fork...A better bike could be purchased. Like I said...Vegan gave some solid advice.

You ever hear of stepping over dollars to chase pennies?

Last edited by prj71; 03-31-21 at 08:32 AM.
Old 03-31-21, 08:44 AM
Happy Feet

The type of riding he does doesn't apply here to what is being asked.

He told us he already upgraded some parts and wants to upgrade more parts. It's a $500 bike and it sounds like it has a broken fork. Between all the money he has spent on the bike and the price to replace the fork...A better bike could be purchased. Like I said...Vegan gave some solid advice.

You ever hear of stepping over dollars to chase pennies?
He has the bike, he has done the upgrades except for a broken fork. He wants to replace the fork. You're advice is buy a new bike. What does he do with the money invested in his current bike? Try to recoup it by selling a used bike with a broken fork? Seems like a lot of work to basically... repair a fork.

Until one knows what type of riding he does, one doesn't know if a new inexpensive fork would suffice or not. The solution of buy a new bike, which would have to be more than $500 to make any sense at all, may or may not be excessive. For all we know, and from reading his other posts in the Hybrid section, this may be all the bike he needs, especially when taking into consideration the upgrades he has already done to it: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...ext=85518-7201

You ever hear of throwing the baby out with the bath water?

Last edited by Happy Feet; 03-31-21 at 08:53 AM.
Old 03-31-21, 08:48 AM
prj71

For all we know, and from reading his other posts in the Hybrid section, this may be all the bike he needs: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...ext=85518-7201
Lol.

That IS the bike he has. Only so much lipstick that you can put on a pig.

And he probably purchased that bike based on the type of riding he does. He didn't come here for a recommendation on that aspect of it.

/done.

Last edited by prj71; 03-31-21 at 09:02 AM.
Old 03-31-21, 01:39 PM
Happy Feet

Lol.

That IS the bike he has. Only so much lipstick that you can put on a pig.

And he probably purchased that bike based on the type of riding he does. He didn't come here for a recommendation on that aspect of it.

/done.
I know it was his bike. That's why I posted it for clarification.

As to the rest - condescension duly noted. You consider the Op's bike a pig.

Fwiw, On the forum I still try to work with individual cases based on their parameters, not my own pre-determined bias.
Old 03-31-21, 02:03 PM
prj71

Or you will invent parameters and say silly things such as "I don't know how any one can give any advice good or bad, until the OP tells what sort of riding they plan to do"
Old 03-31-21, 04:12 PM
Happy Feet

Or you will invent parameters and say silly things such as "I don't know how any one can give any advice good or bad, until the OP tells what sort of riding they plan to do"
So now saying one needs to know what type of riding a person wants to do before suggesting which bike might be suitable is a silly parameter?

​​just.. wow.

I suppose that's very easy when the only option ever proffered is to buy a new bike and one that is not cheap. Your help so far has been: Should have bought a better bike in the first place. Buy a new bike.

I would rather ask what the Ops goals and budget is so a realistic solution could be considered. Not impose my personal preferences onto him regardless of his circumstance.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 03-31-21 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-31-21, 04:43 PM
Bikesarecool21

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
19 specialized pitch

The stock cassette was damaged when I bought the bike so I had a sram cassette which is the cheaper sram and its only an 8spd in turning my mtb in to loner/winter bike that's why I'm up grading the fork and I do plan on buying a better bike in the near future.
Old 03-31-21, 04:44 PM
Bikesarecool21

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
19 specialized pitch

didn't have the money to buy a nicer bike at the time and was just getting back into mountain biking when I bought this bike

Last edited by Bikesarecool21; 03-31-21 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Nedded to add stuff
Old 03-31-21, 09:36 PM
Happy Feet

...turning my mtb in to loner/winter bike that's why I'm up grading the fork and I do plan on buying a better bike in the near future.
I know what a winter bike is but what do you mean by loner? Do you plan to mountain bike with this bike, and if so, what type of trails do you see yourself riding?
Old 04-01-21, 09:42 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

The stock cassette was damaged when I bought the bike so I had a sram cassette which is the cheaper sram and its only an 8spd in turning my mtb in to loner/winter bike that's why I'm up grading the fork and I do plan on buying a better bike in the near future.
Did you buy the bike new or used? If you bought it new then the shop/Specialized or whomever made the cassette would have replaced that if truly damaged. If the fork is functional for what it is, then keep it as is and save your money towards a more decent bike that makes sense for your riding.

If this is just a beater/winter bike keep it just functional enough for winter and bad weather no need to really do a ton of upgrades aside from really cheap stuff like cables and housing and brake pads and shoes, aside from that and good care and maintenance just let it be unless something breaks then evaluate at the time and see what makes sense.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-01-21, 11:51 AM
Happy Feet

Kinda what I hope the Op clarifies.

mountain biking and mountain bikes mean different things to different people. Some ride very technical trails and need a certain degree of bike for that while others ride little more than easy gravel.

No judgements, but if all the Op needs is a winter beater then the bike they already have will do.

I think in terms of platforms, and what their limits are. If you are easy trail/path riding then an older platform will meet the need for less cost. Even if one replaces components as they fail it would take years and years to match the cost of a modern bike, considering that one hopefully wouldn't buy the cheapest new bike available.

If ones aspirations are more aggressive in the technical sense then an older bike, as a platform, has limitations. You can upgrade parts but can't easily change the basic geometry or wheel sizing/mounts. To ride modern technical trails one probably wants a more modern platform to bolt parts onto.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 04-01-21, 01:36 PM
Bikesarecool21

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
19 specialized pitch

Let my friends ride it on the trails
Old 04-04-21, 08:31 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 263 Posts
If you bought it new and the tires are worn out. Good on you whether street, rail trail or single track. Keep it going until you can get a better bike. If the fork cannot be repaired/rebuilt go ahead and upgrade but not too far. May be a Rock Shox Judy for less than a couple hundred bucks. May also want a new headset.
Old 04-04-21, 09:52 AM
Bikesarecool21

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
19 specialized pitch

Thank you I bought a upgraded Sr suntour fork
Likes For Bikesarecool21:
Old 04-04-21, 04:24 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 263 Posts
Originally Posted by biker128pedal
If you bought it new and the tires are worn out. Good on you whether street, rail trail or single track. Keep it going until you can get a better bike. If the fork cannot be repaired/rebuilt go ahead and upgrade but not too far. May be a Rock Shox Judy for less than a couple hundred bucks. May also want a new headset.
Good on you. Now ride.

Next year or so the market will be flooded with used bikes from those who bought because the could not get into the gym or bars.
Likes For biker128pedal:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.