Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1985 Campione w/ French gear?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-21, 02:17 PM
85campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
1985 Campione w/ French gear?

I just acquired this from a dark, dusty corner of an old shop, where it had been slumbering at least 25 years.
COMMENTS WELCOME, and guesses at worth also welcome.

circa 1985 Campione "Record" imported to USA by Mel Pinto, with bottom of frame marked: "BREV ALAN MADE IN ITALY 237831
J3 54X54"

derailers: Simplex rear, Campione front.
Wheels: Wolber, France
brakes: MAFAC Ls, France

handlebars: Cinelli Criterium 65-40
"ALAN" engraved on forks, frame, etc.
Likes For 85campione:
Old 03-29-21, 11:38 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
Interesting mix of parts. If I didn't know any better, I'd swear you're in Europe. Don't see a lot of those bits in the US, at least.

Personally, I don't care for Alan bonded frames and my (possibly biased) opinion is, it takes the right kind of person to appreciate and collect them. Since I have nothing positive to say about the frameset, let me talk about the drivetrain parts which I feel are the real draw here - if originally equipped this way (which I highly doubt based on front mech/rear mech differences), I personally think you'd be greedy to pick apart for extra $$ but most days I feel like I'm in the minority there.

Just the rear derailleur, that SLJ 5500 long cage, as it appears, will pull a triple-digit number. I think you could easily net $100-125 for it on the big auction site as-is. Front Campy mech is pretty pedestrian in comparison,.
Someone out there would be strongly interested in the MAFAC LS calipers and levers also. You just DO NOT see them anymore. I expect you could probably pull $80-100 for the levers and calipers, possibly more due to them being the much rarer black version.
Galli pedals have a bit of a draw too, I'd guesstimate $50-60 there, in that pristine of shape.
Simplex retrofriction shifters are highly desirable and will net the same, all day, $50-60.
That TA Tevano Strada triple crankset is also virtually unobtanium, arms alone should fetch $40 in that shape, the complete crank may pull up into the triple-digits with all hardware and rings intact.
Pantographed ALAN stem .... panto'd stems usually run between $45-130 on eBay on average, with bigger names pulling more money, and lots of panto stems languishing for months if priced $140+.
Looks like a black EDCO Competition headset, another $50-60 there.

I can't tell what the seatpost is, but even without the headset, you're into the $400 range on parts value, minus shipping and handling. If you were to keep the headset and bottom bracket intact, I think you'd easily find a quick sale on the frameset (frame/fork/bb/headset) for $200-300.

I'm not the end-all-be-all of Mel Pinto, maybe someone who is a Pinto fanatic would value it higher than $600-700, but I can only evaluate on what I see. I'd give $75 all day long on an SLJ 5500, but I also know there are others out there willing to pay more.

Old 04-01-21, 01:24 PM
85campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Francophile: Sincere thank you sir! Merci bien pour votre gentile note el toute l'information!
Likes For 85campione:
Old 04-10-21, 05:15 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Originally Posted by 85campione
Francophile: Sincere thank you sir! Merci bien pour votre gentile note el toute l'information!
That is a fabulous bike. I am sure you already found out Mel Pinto is an importer of all things bike related.

I suspect the bike may have been built as a show bike hence all the nice period goodies on it. I rank it above a similar Campagnolo equipped bike simply for the coolness factor. as to value.... I don't buy and sell enough to say but I would certainly give it a good overhaul and cleaning, being super careful of what look to be fragile decals, then shop it around as is. While you might eek out a few more rubles selling it piecemeal you run the risk of not selling everything.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 04-10-21, 06:46 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Originally Posted by 85campione
I got this email from Mel Pinto Imports

“ “Thanks for sending me that link. Mel Pinto was the original owner of Mel
Pinto Imports (MPI), which was an importer and distributor of Alan frames.
Mel's staff built up a few different Alan frames that were rebadged as Mel
Pinto Special, which were usually for Mel's personal use. Mel also
re-branded other frames as Pinto and Mel Pinto Special, which were sold to
the public that way, but I don't think I any Alans were. Mel had one very
similar to the one in the pics when I acquired MPI about 13 years ago, but
in much nicer condition. That one was sold in Falls Church VA about 10 or 11
years ago, so I guess it's possible the one pictured is the same one if it
was acquired in that area and at that time, but I suspect it is not.
Unfortunately, I can't ask Mel about it because, sadly, he died at age 97
less than two weeks ago.

I own the rights to that brand, and have built up a few bikes, including an
Alan branded as Mel Pinto, one being an Italian Billato-built frame seen in
the attached pics. Those have been done as my personal bikes, and as sort-of
a tribute to the bike in that original post.” “

Thanks -

Wayne

Wayne Bingham
Mel Pinto Imports
PO Box 2069
Purcellville, VA 20134