Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Front wheel lifting off ground when sprinting

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Front wheel lifting off ground when sprinting

Old 04-20-21, 12:22 AM
  #1  
ZHVelo
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
Posts: 634
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 112 Posts
Front wheel lifting off ground when sprinting

Do I just need to put more weight towards the front or is my technique wrong?

Thanks
ZHVelo is offline  
Old 04-20-21, 04:12 AM
  #2  
Trakhak
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 2,824
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 962 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 445 Posts
As you press down on the left pedal, pull up on the left side of the handlebar and push down on the right side, twisting the handlebar to counter the pedal force. As you press down on the right pedal, pull up on the right side of the handlebar and push down on the left side.
Trakhak is offline  
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 04-20-21, 04:19 AM
  #3  
Kimmo 
bike whisperer
 
Kimmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Melbourne, Oz
Posts: 9,396

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1374 Post(s)
Liked 605 Times in 428 Posts
Send a bit less power to your massive guads?
Kimmo is offline  
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 04-20-21, 04:41 AM
  #4  
ZHVelo
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
Posts: 634
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak View Post
As you press down on the left pedal, pull up on the left side of the handlebar and push down on the right side, twisting the handlebar to counter the pedal force. As you press down on the right pedal, pull up on the right side of the handlebar and push down on the left side.
Thanks.

Might try this on my trainer first, sounds like something that is straightforward but doing opposite things with arms legs is actually quite hard without practice.
ZHVelo is offline  
Old 04-20-21, 05:46 AM
  #5  
Koyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 4,004
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3893 Post(s)
Liked 5,163 Times in 2,282 Posts
If you’re sprinting properly (see post #2), you should have a greater likelihood of pulling the rear wheel off the ground… Though neither should happen.

I really can’t fathom how you can be pulling the front wheel off of the ground. Is your weight waaay back on the bike?
Koyote is offline  
Old 04-20-21, 06:28 AM
  #6  
eduskator
Senior Member
 
eduskator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 1,037

Bikes: TCR Pro 0 / Revolt 2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 199 Posts
What a BAD and UNRELEVANT question!

Just kidding (I am imitating some forum members here). Perhaps you should lean more towards the front of the bike when getting out of the saddle and attacking. You should be feeling weight on your shoulders and arm transferring to your handlebars when sprinting.
eduskator is offline  
Old 04-20-21, 06:34 AM
  #7  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 35,521

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 346 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17402 Post(s)
Liked 6,126 Times in 3,157 Posts
Originally Posted by ZHVelo View Post
Might try this on my trainer first...
Do you dislike your bike that much?

In all seriousness, a typical trainer is the last place that I'd practice sprinting; I personally won't go beyond a seated sprint on the trainer. Having the bike/rear axel locked in when trying to rip off my handlebars just seems like cruel and unusual punishment to my bike and, just as importantly, it feels completely unnatural. If you need to practice, do it on the road, but dial down the intensity and work on form before stepping it back up.
WhyFi is online now  
Old 04-20-21, 06:46 AM
  #8  
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington
 
Badger6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Brussels (BE) 🇧🇪
Posts: 954

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked 351 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by ZHVelo View Post
Might try this on my trainer first, sounds like something that is straightforward but doing opposite things with arms legs is actually quite hard without practice.
I'm going to echo WhyFi! DON'T DO THIS! It has great potential to end badly.

When you say sprinting, I'm envisioning out of the saddle throwing down the max power you can manage...where are your hands? Hint, if they're on the hoods, you're doing it wrong. Unless, your name starts with Guiseppe and ends with Saronni. (Rule 92)

Get into the drops, and power away. If you already are....you are massively powerful and I want to ride with you.
Badger6 is offline  
Old 04-20-21, 06:47 AM
  #9  
Zaskar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 580
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 88 Posts
Definitely too far back. I think. I also have a hard time understanding how your front tire is coming off the ground. With my sh***y technique, I'm often fighting the back tire skipping around.
Zaskar is offline  
Likes For Zaskar:
Old 04-20-21, 08:19 AM
  #10  
Iride01
Hits [ENTER] b4 thinking
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 8,300

Bikes: '20 Tarmac Disc Comp '91, '78 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3273 Post(s)
Liked 1,867 Times in 1,325 Posts
Is your front wheel actually coming off the ground, or is it just about to?

If it's just about to but not, that might be a good indicator you are in the right gear at that moment to get the best power and acceleration.

But I'm just guessing and imagining. Have at it guys and gals.
Iride01 is online now  
Old 04-20-21, 08:27 AM
  #11  
seypat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 6,096
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1941 Post(s)
Liked 913 Times in 616 Posts
Is the OP's last name Sagan?
seypat is offline  
Likes For seypat:
Old 04-20-21, 08:27 AM
  #12  
noimagination
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 377
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by ZHVelo View Post
Thanks.

Might try this on my trainer first, sounds like something that is straightforward but doing opposite things with arms legs is actually quite hard without practice.
If you're riding without weaving all over the road, especially when riding out of the saddle, you're probably already doing it without being conscious of it. Doing different things with your arms and legs is also critical to cornering correctly.
noimagination is online now  
Old 04-20-21, 08:36 AM
  #13  
Jack Tone 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 367
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 89 Posts
Braggart. . I had that problem with a Yamaha R1 1000. Not with a bicycle yet.
Jack Tone is offline  
Likes For Jack Tone:
Old 04-20-21, 08:51 AM
  #14  
eduskator
Senior Member
 
eduskator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 1,037

Bikes: TCR Pro 0 / Revolt 2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack Tone View Post
Braggart. . I had that problem with a Yamaha R1 1000. Not with a bicycle yet.
OP didn't specify, but he pushes 5000w as soon as he gets out the saddle.
eduskator is offline  
Old 04-20-21, 09:57 AM
  #15  
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling
 
Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 17,661

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3028 Post(s)
Liked 939 Times in 711 Posts
Yes, simple as that. Sometimes when I'm hill sprinting, I'll lift the back wheel off. Simple, move weight back. Lifting the front wheel is not good as one loses steerage.
BTW, you're doing it right.
__________________
Results matter
Carbonfiberboy is online now  
Old 04-20-21, 10:20 AM
  #16  
caloso
Senior Member
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Posts: 40,325

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2720 Post(s)
Liked 2,439 Times in 1,130 Posts
Do form sprints in a parking lot or low traffic road. Out of the saddle and wind it up, but only with about 80% effort. Really focus on form and front-to-back balance. You'll feel it. Then start adding power.
caloso is offline  
Old 04-20-21, 11:28 AM
  #17  
ZHVelo
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
Posts: 634
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger6 View Post
I'm going to echo WhyFi! DON'T DO THIS! It has great potential to end badly.

When you say sprinting, I'm envisioning out of the saddle throwing down the max power you can manage...where are your hands? Hint, if they're on the hoods, you're doing it wrong. Unless, your name starts with Guiseppe and ends with Saronni. (Rule 92)

Get into the drops, and power away. If you already are....you are massively powerful and I want to ride with you.
It was 'only' 900 Watts. My max was achieved on my trainer, just shy of 1000. That is hardly "massively powerful", which is why I thought I must be doing something wrong in the first place.

I prefer to have them on the hoods, but this particular time they were on the drops (which may explain some of the lower power versus my max, pretty sure I can do more on the hoods).
ZHVelo is offline  
Old 04-20-21, 11:29 AM
  #18  
ZHVelo
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
Posts: 634
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Do you dislike your bike that much?

In all seriousness, a typical trainer is the last place that I'd practice sprinting; I personally won't go beyond a seated sprint on the trainer. Having the bike/rear axel locked in when trying to rip off my handlebars just seems like cruel and unusual punishment to my bike and, just as importantly, it feels completely unnatural. If you need to practice, do it on the road, but dial down the intensity and work on form before stepping it back up.
Well, in the winter I ain't going out on a weekday in the dark and cold, or rain for that matter, so I only had the trainer for some months. I feel good sprinting on it, greatly improved my max output as well, my current max is still from trainer. But I take your point, I never really thought about it before to be honest (like why would they advertise "up to 2000W" and what do people doing Swift races do, they output way more than me I bet).
ZHVelo is offline  
Old 04-20-21, 11:33 AM
  #19  
ZHVelo
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
Posts: 634
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote View Post
If you’re sprinting properly (see post #2), you should have a greater likelihood of pulling the rear wheel off the ground… Though neither should happen.

I really can’t fathom how you can be pulling the front wheel off of the ground. Is your weight waaay back on the bike?
Hence why I asked, I probably am doing something wrong. Logically I must be pulling the handlebar upwards, I can't think of why else the front would go up. Not sure why though.

Also maybe to clarify, I am not doing wheelies, as in it isn't massively in the air, it jumped off the ground I think twice for a very short time
ZHVelo is offline  
Old 04-20-21, 11:35 AM
  #20  
ZHVelo
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
Posts: 634
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso View Post
Do form sprints in a parking lot or low traffic road. Out of the saddle and wind it up, but only with about 80% effort. Really focus on form and front-to-back balance. You'll feel it. Then start adding power.
I have a local road that has a cycle lane and almost no traffic. Perfect for this. I assume with form you mean as described in post number 2?
ZHVelo is offline  
Old 04-20-21, 11:37 AM
  #21  
ZHVelo
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
Posts: 634
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator View Post
OP didn't specify, but he pushes 5000w as soon as he gets out the saddle.
Immer großes Blatt 8000 Watt

Always big ring 8000 watt, rhymes in German.

Hm, trying to link an instagram post but it doesn't show the URL but instead the whole photo, which is kind of obnoxiously large. Anyway, it's a meme in German cycling.

Last edited by ZHVelo; 04-20-21 at 11:40 AM.
ZHVelo is offline  
Likes For ZHVelo:
Old 04-20-21, 12:17 PM
  #22  
Koyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 4,004
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3893 Post(s)
Liked 5,163 Times in 2,282 Posts
Originally Posted by ZHVelo View Post
Hence why I asked, I probably am doing something wrong. Logically I must be pulling the handlebar upwards, I can't think of why else the front would go up. Not sure why though.

Also maybe to clarify, I am not doing wheelies, as in it isn't massively in the air, it jumped off the ground I think twice for a very short time
Do as suggested in post #2, which is not hard - it's pretty reflexive, really. Get your weight a bit more forward on the bike. Make sure your hands are in the drops.
Koyote is offline  
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-20-21, 12:22 PM
  #23  
Eric F
Habitual User
 
Eric F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Altadena, CA
Posts: 1,694

Bikes: 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 1,664 Times in 800 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Do you dislike your bike that much?

In all seriousness, a typical trainer is the last place that I'd practice sprinting; I personally won't go beyond a seated sprint on the trainer. Having the bike/rear axel locked in when trying to rip off my handlebars just seems like cruel and unusual punishment to my bike and, just as importantly, it feels completely unnatural. If you need to practice, do it on the road, but dial down the intensity and work on form before stepping it back up.
I regularly do max-effort sprints on my trainer. No issues. However, I'm practiced at it, and know how to not fall off. I agree that the trainer not a good place to learn, and learning form/coordination at lower intensity is the right approach.
Eric F is offline  
Likes For Eric F:
Old 04-20-21, 12:38 PM
  #24  
caloso
Senior Member
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Posts: 40,325

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2720 Post(s)
Liked 2,439 Times in 1,130 Posts
Absolutely need to have hands in the drops.
caloso is offline  
Likes For caloso:
Old 04-20-21, 12:40 PM
  #25  
Trakhak
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 2,824
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 962 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 445 Posts
Couldn't get the link to load, so search YouTube for

How To Sprint Like Mark Cavendish – Cav's Top 5 Sprinting Tips

Trakhak is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.