Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Bad Driving Habits

Notices
Foo Light hearted off-topic chit chat with no general subject.

Bad Driving Habits

Old 05-01-21, 12:05 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,255 Times in 1,127 Posts
Bad Driving Habits

I got the following spam email from the Toyota stealership at which I purchased my vehicle. Bad driving habit #1 left me scratching my head. WTF?

Over time, most of us develop bad driving habits. While some are relatively harmless, others can affect fuel economy and contribute to excessive vehicle wear-and-tear. This can lead to expensive repair bills or even permanent engine damage.

Here is a small list of driving habits to avoid:
  1. Driving with less than a quarter tank of gas.
  2. Flooring the accelerator in a high gear.
  3. Shifting from drive to reverse before stopping.
  4. Riding your brakes.
  5. Driving fast over potholes and speed bumps.
  6. Braking at the last minute.
  7. Revving the engine before it's warm.
  8. Overloading your vehicle.
  9. Neglecting warning lights.
  10. Delaying regular maintenance.
It's time to put an end to these bad habits! Be kind to your car and please visit your local service advisor
Old 05-01-21, 12:09 PM
Hondo Gravel
es ist mir egal

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 2,290 Times in 1,479 Posts
When my truck hits a quarter tank I fill it up. But being a bad driving habit? Makes no sense.
Old 05-01-21, 12:13 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

I usually let the fuel light come on (which gives me about 30 more miles). Gas station closest to home is about 7 or 8 miles away. I figure the fewer times I go to the gas station in my life, the better.
Old 05-01-21, 12:29 PM
3alarmer
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 283 Post(s)
Quoted: 21814 Post(s)
Liked 4,693 Times in 3,437 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
I usually let the fuel light come on (which gives me about 30 more miles). Gas station closest to home is about 7 or 8 miles away. I figure the fewer times I go to the gas station in my life, the better.
...there's some real evidence that running all over the place with your gas tank down toward empty is not a good practice.
Mostly these derive from aa time before modern tank rustproofing and fuel pump standards had improved.

You've probably never dropped a car fuel tank, but I have a number of times. There is almost always a bunch of crapola that has settled out in the bottom of the tank.
Back in ancient times, before fuel pumps got relocated to nearer the tank, and before anyone thought much about sticking filters on them, it was a way you could clog the fuel pump.

And there's no question that you get some condensation in the tank if you run less than half full a lot of the time. Which used to translate to accelerated corrosion inside the tank.

Mostly, nowadays, I think if there's risk, it would be in much colder climates than California, where water in the fuel (including condensation) can freeze in unexpected places in the lines. Which is why everyone in MN used to run some gas dryer or grain alcohol through the tank before the really cold weather hit in January/February. I don't know if that's still done, but I used to do it because I was afraid of really cold weather. I always imagined I'd freeze to death, trying to get my car started, and be reincarnated as a AAA truck.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 05-01-21, 12:34 PM
3alarmer
Friendship is Magic

...BTW, due to age discrimination in the state of California (which I intend to remedy once I am Governor after the recall ), I was compelled to take another road test to preserve my right privilege to drive, yesterday at the DMV. Talk about your jackbooted thugs. Those guys At Cal DMV have gone waaay beyond the pale. I passed convincingly, mostly by suppressing all my bad driving habits for the duration of the test.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 05-01-21, 12:35 PM
Hondo Gravel
es ist mir egal

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 2,290 Times in 1,479 Posts
Never dropped a tank but plenty of clogged fuel filters on the junkers I drove back in the day.
Old 05-01-21, 03:48 PM
Tusk

Bikes: 1986 Scwinn Prelude 20?? Motobecane Ti 'Le Champion"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 17 Posts
The fuel keeps the electric in tank fuel pump cool. Running less than quarter tank will allow the pump to run warmer than it should and shorten the life of the pump.

I rarely let mine get below half tank because of this.
Old 05-01-21, 04:43 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post
...BTW, due to age discrimination in the state of California (which I intend to remedy once I am Governor after the recall ), I was compelled to take another road test to preserve my right privilege to drive, yesterday at the DMV. Talk about your jackbooted thugs. Those guys At Cal DMV have gone waaay beyond the pale. I passed convincingly, mostly by suppressing all my bad driving habits for the duration of the test.
Coincidently, my youngest kid just passed his (first) exam, doing likewise.
Likes For wgscott:
Old 05-01-21, 04:44 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by Tusk View Post
The fuel keeps the electric in tank fuel pump cool. Running less than quarter tank will allow the pump to run warmer than it should and shorten the life of the pump.

I rarely let mine get below half tank because of this.

That sounds like a design flaw.
Likes For wgscott:
Old 05-01-21, 07:25 PM
skidder
Bipsycorider

Bikes: Why yes, I do have a few! Thank you for asking!

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 287 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
That sounds like a design flaw.
Nope, not a flaw. Designers put the fuel pump in the bottom of the tank and use the fuel as a lubricant (it probably helps with cooling, too). But there is one crappy fuel system design - plastic fuel tanks. They may keep the rust and corrosion out of the tank, but they do get fragile as they age and can leak. My truck has one.

Old 05-01-21, 07:28 PM
skidder
Bipsycorider

Bikes: Why yes, I do have a few! Thank you for asking!

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 287 Posts
You must be over 65. I got lucky and just slipped in under that this time. I guess my friendly personality and charm swayed the clerk at the counter this time!
Old 05-02-21, 04:45 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 401 Times in 225 Posts
I heard that many years ago, back then it was said that a near full tank avoided condensation.
Old 05-02-21, 11:31 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Timberjack, Expert TG, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 2445 Post(s)
Liked 1,216 Times in 788 Posts
It sounds like they’ve been cutting and pasting this list into the next email for 25 years
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 05-03-21, 09:21 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13755 Post(s)
Liked 6,669 Times in 3,372 Posts
My ex used to do No. 3 all the time.
Old 05-03-21, 09:25 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1,403 Times in 1,037 Posts
I sometimes, when slowly backing/turning out of the driveway, use (manual) 1st gear and the clutch instead of the brake
Old 05-03-21, 10:37 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 10691 Post(s)
Liked 2,716 Times in 1,865 Posts
I drive like I bike... Numbers 2 and 6 are definite no-nos. In fact when I bike, I chuckle at the buffoons in their rolling couches that race between the lights, yet fail to exceed my average speed. I roll up just seconds after they have come to a screeching halt... yet there we are at the same lights together... light after light after light.

I think the driving habit that bothers me the most is not even listed... it is 11) Failing to drive at or below the speed limit.

One of the reasons for fixed speed limits is sight lines... if you are exceeding a speed limit, you could also be exceeding your ability to react in time to crossing traffic... or to other traffic on the road... keeping in mind that "other traffic" may include cows, cement trucks or stopped police.
Old 05-03-21, 11:25 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2016 Post(s)
Liked 831 Times in 624 Posts
...... an obvious Derailleur attempt by the creep state aimed at compromising your early gains in the recall... not to worry, a critical mass at Ca. DMV ought to back log their testing and allow for the Texas light/dark test
Old 05-03-21, 01:57 PM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 1,134 Times in 365 Posts
I pull my head up just as I hit the ball. LOL

For me it's simplest to just fill up once a week. It's inconvenient to stop for gas in the middle of the week. Doesn't always work out tho.

Numbers 4 & 6? In the morning rush hour my feet are close to the brakes all the time. I try to keep a 1 sec margin but it's not always doable.

Got rear ended a couple of weeks ago. Not bad. My ugly pickup bumper got uglier. His front end was missing some stuff. Both vehicles ran OK so we left it at that. Since then I've been tapping the brakes 2 or 3 times when traffic balls up. Not because I need to brake harder but to wake up the person behind me.
Old 05-03-21, 07:05 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 505 Times in 376 Posts
the worst bad driving habit, in my inconsequential opinion, is people not driving at safe vehicle distances. all the time people right up on yours and other peoples' rear ends. rain and shine. as i recall, when i learned to drive/got my license, there were yearly (or around there) driving tests to refresh your skills. not sure when that was done away with, but this day and age with hand held devices, it's a good idea.
Likes For thook:
Old 05-03-21, 07:48 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Timberjack, Expert TG, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 2445 Post(s)
Liked 1,216 Times in 788 Posts
Updated for 2021

Here is a small list of driving habits to avoid:
  1. Driving with less than a quarter charge of electrons
  2. Flooring the accelerator when the batteries are cold.
  3. Shifting
  4. Riding your regenerative braking
  5. Using a banana on the steering wheel to defeat the autopilot safety
  6. Braking at the last minute, unless you are "trail braking"
  7. Revving the engine before the computer is booted up
  8. Overclocking your vehicle.
  9. Neglecting end user license agreements
  10. Delaying regular payments
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 05-03-21, 08:27 PM
Kat12

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
I admit I do tend to fill my car when I get down to about half a tank. Just a measure to know I'll never run out of gas, I suppose. I've had people make fun of me for it more than once. Of course I've gone down to less, but as a general rule, half or so has me at a gas station.

Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
Since then I've been tapping the brakes 2 or 3 times when traffic balls up. Not because I need to brake harder but to wake up the person behind me.
I've noticed people do this sometimes. I'll be coming up behind someone at a light who's already stopped... suddenly their brake lights come on, as if they said "oh gee, someone is coming from behind me, I'd better make sure they know I'm stopped" (because the red light and the fact that they're, well, stopped, hasn't already tipped me off or anything...). (And no, I'm not one of those people who comes flying up behind someone that they might think I'm not going to stop-- though I guess if you're sitting stationary at a light and suddenly you look up and someone is coming up behind you, any speed might seem fast to you.)

I should actually probably do this more. I tend to just pay attention to what's ahead of me so I can often just slow down gradually rather than mashing the brakes at the last minute... but some day someone behind me will probably be not paying attention and not notice that I'm slowing down, so the brake lights might help them out.

Originally Posted by thook View Post
the worst bad driving habit, in my inconsequential opinion, is people not driving at safe vehicle distances. all the time people right up on yours and other peoples' rear ends. rain and shine.
Yes. Not to mention, with more space, you can react to what's going on up ahead without having to slam on the brakes all the time, or indeed might not need to at all since by the time you get there, any slowing may have sped up again. I have a tendency, if possible, to leave several car lengths; then as brake lights go on up ahead, I just ease up on the gas a bit and rarely need to touch the brake. It's a known traffic-calming technique but there are always two kinds of people behind you when you do this: the ones who are angry that there's more than a car length between you and the person ahead (even if you're going the same speed) so they have to pass you, get in there, and then end up having to slam on their brakes... or the people who figure out what you're doing and follow suit (it gets quite smooth when you have 2-3 people built up doing this).

(Of course, there are the times you can't do this, because traffic is such that if you leave several car lengths, someone else just gets in there, which means you have to slow down even more to leave space, and then someone gets in that space, and... But it's certainly preferable. There are some clumps I've seen and intentionally slowed to back off of, because when one hits their brakes suddenly and the rest pile on, I don't want to be anywhere near that fiasco.)
Likes For Kat12:
Old 05-03-21, 08:49 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Quoted: 3020 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 599 Posts
Originally Posted by thook View Post
the worst bad driving habit, in my inconsequential opinion, is people not driving at safe vehicle distances.
I will say the larger issue is drivers who are trying to beat the traffic rather than fit in with and BE the traffic.
Old 05-03-21, 09:25 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1,403 Times in 1,037 Posts
A couple months ago, my 2001 car ran out of gas when the gauge said 1/4 tank. So now I refill it at about 1/3
Old 05-03-21, 09:33 PM
3alarmer
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by skidder View Post
You must be over 65. I got lucky and just slipped in under that this time. I guess my friendly personality and charm swayed the clerk at the counter this time!
...age 70 is the year they have decided to **** with you. Be prepared at age 70, because the gloves come off, and there seems to be some intensive scrutiny, combined with a sort of unreasoning prejudice, that dominates the conversation. At age 70, I had to make at lest three trips into the office, and on the last one, for a road test, when I explained to the examiner what was going on, she told me it sounded strange.

She disappeared inside, either spoke with someone senior or consulted the vehicle code vision sections, returned and told me I did not need to take a road test, someone had erred.

Unfortunately for me, no one corrected the record, so I am back playing the same game two years later. Except now there's a pandemic, and when I started out the adventure (back in February,) my age group was still not eligible for the Covid vaxx. Anyway, you might want to meditate in the morning, before you go in.

I would share with you the secret back door I found in their system, to allow me to make an appointment to visit. But their appointments system keeps crashing. And you can pretty much forget about the phone service at this point in time.

The new director is some guy from private enterprise, who used to run Cisco systems for a while. I'm pretty sure they know they have a computer presence that was designed in 1970, updated only sporadically, and by internal employees who are not exactly in demand at Google. Maybe this guy, combined with some surplus budget money that is a result off all the capital gains taxes from last year's stock market boom, will have some impact.

But every time I visit the office here, I'm reminded of those films of Americans flying the last helicopters out of Vietnam, evacuating the embassy.
Old 05-03-21, 09:46 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 505 Times in 376 Posts
@DiabloScott
i'm sure it's not a mutually exclusive thing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.