Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

weight of $500 fat bikes?

Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Old 05-10-21, 09:05 PM
cubewheels

Bikes: A really old BMX bike, Phantom 20 kid's MTB, Jackal Mio Gravel Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 764 Post(s)
Liked 366 Times in 294 Posts

They never seem to mention the weight...

Anyone's got idea of how fatbikes in the range of $500 might weigh?

Sample specs are: fully rigid alloy frame and fork, low end 1x9 drivetrain, alloy parts and rims ("holey" rims), low end mechanical or hydro disc brakes, low/bottom end tubed tires.
Old 05-10-21, 09:19 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2015 Norco Search S1, 2012 Cervelo R5, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 172 Posts
No idea but I'd guess 18-20+kg?
I always assumed for those that were into fat bikes, weight isn't a primary concern.
Likes For bOsscO:
Old 05-10-21, 11:27 PM
cubewheels

Originally Posted by bOsscO View Post
I always assumed for those that were into fat bikes, weight isn't a primary concern.
My current bike weighs 17 kg (no cargo), I suppose 1 to 3 kg more won't make a big difference as long as it has the gears for it.
Old 05-11-21, 01:13 AM
JehD

Bikes: 2020 Electra Cruiser 7D - 2021 Mongoose Dolomite ALX - Rusty Huffy and a broken Giant

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 68 Posts
Pretty impressed with the Dolomite. Feels freakishly light for its size It looks like itt shoild weugh nore byt they did a nive job.

36-37 lbs on two reviews. Ive made a few changes to the stem,pedals and breaks.The biggie was the seat want right so I stole the B35 from my other bike

Feels soft and soid
Old 05-11-21, 09:35 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1585 Post(s)
Liked 360 Times in 237 Posts
You've assumed wrong. Pedal a 35 lb + fat bike up a hill then a 26 lb fat bike (what mine weighs) up a hill and you will then notice a concern.
Old 05-11-21, 09:40 AM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
You've assumed wrong. Pedal a 35 lb + fat bike up a hill then a 26 lb fat bike (what mine weighs) up a hill and you will then notice a concern.
Cool cool. What does a 26lb fat bike look like and cost new?
Old 05-11-21, 10:28 AM
prj71

Cool cool. What does a 26lb fat bike look like and cost new?
A lot more than $500

Figure $3000 - $4000
Old 05-11-21, 10:50 AM
bOsscO
bOsscO

A lot more than $500. Figure $3000 - $4000
That makes sense that fat bikes fit into the classic trifecta of Light / Strong / Cheap; pick two.
Likes For bOsscO:
Old 05-11-21, 05:38 PM
cubewheels

My current gravel bike/commuter weighs 38 lbs with all the equipment and accessories installed.

I also use it to carry groceries which is around 30 lbs. Thus, the bike sometimes weigh ~68 lbs!

I take it up hills and notice I'm slower but not a concern since I always ride solo (no worry getting dropped, etc). 70 lbs is about my limit on our steep climbs. More weight and I'll be too slow to maintain balance and I would also use the fat bike to haul groceries but it will be mainly used as adventure bike where it's expected to carry up to 30 lbs. Maybe the heavy wheels makes balancing easier so I can go even slower with fatbike and not fall over.
Old 05-12-21, 07:20 AM
prj71

That makes sense that fat bikes fit into the classic trifecta of Light / Strong / Cheap; pick two.
I have a carbon 2018 Specialized Fatboy.

It's light, strong and not cheap and has many miles on it. So not sure what you are getting at.
Old 05-12-21, 10:44 AM
bOsscO
bOsscO

I have a carbon 2018 Specialized Fatboy. It's light, strong and not cheap and has many miles on it. So not sure what you are getting at.
Well...most cyclists have three main "wants" for our bikes to be Light, Strong, and Cheap. Let's call this the classic trifecta.
In my very limited experience I don't know of any bike anywhere that is all three; Light, Strong, and Cheap. However most bikes are two of the three (Light and Strong, Light and Cheap, Strong and Cheap) So there's a general agreement amongst cyclist that you must "pick two". Now...
- The OP asked about the weight (Light) of $500 (Cheap) fat bikes.
- Assuming fat bikes are Strong, I commented that a $500 (Cheap) fat bike would be heavy (not Light) but maybe weight (Light) was not a concern.
- You commented that weight (Light) was definitely a concern, and that there are both Light and heavy (not Light) fat bikes to which I asked how much a Light new fat bike would cost (aka is it Cheap?).
- You confirmed my assumption that a Light fat bike is not also Cheap ($3-4K) and in a round about way confirmed the general agreement that you must "pick two" from the classic trifecta.
- You then commented that your fat bike is both Light and Strong, but not Cheap thus specifically confirming the general agreement that you must "pick two" from the classic trifecta.
See what I'm getting at?
Likes For bOsscO:
Old 05-12-21, 12:21 PM
prj71

I see what you are getting at. But ultimately I was addressing your statement where you said "I always assumed for those that were into fat bikes, weight isn't a primary concern."

That couldn't be farther from the Truth.
Old 05-12-21, 01:21 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

I see what you are getting at. But ultimately I was addressing your statement where you said "I always assumed for those that were into fat bikes, weight isn't a primary concern." That couldn't be farther from the Truth.
Fair enough. I'm not into fat bikes so I'll leave this to those of you who are.
Old 05-14-21, 10:22 AM
Tim_T
Still a newbie

Bikes: Mongoose Hitch Fatbike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, I have a mongoose hitch. Steel frame, but otherwise pretty close to your specs. Weighs about 50 lbs.It's a in the range of a large frame, though, if I understand frame sizes (which I'm not claiming to, lets be clear on this). But I stand 6' tall and I can actually leave a few inches of seat tube unexposed, which is a pretty excellent change from most bikes I sit on.
Likes For Tim_T:
Old 05-16-21, 01:47 AM
cubewheels

Originally Posted by Tim_T View Post
Well, I have a mongoose hitch. Steel frame, but otherwise pretty close to your specs. Weighs about 50 lbs.It's a in the range of a large frame, though, if I understand frame sizes (which I'm not claiming to, lets be clear on this). But I stand 6' tall and I can actually leave a few inches of seat tube unexposed, which is a pretty excellent change from most bikes I sit on.
I was able to find $500 brand new ones locally with alloy frame, alloy crank, alloy hubs, and 1x8 freehub gearing and thumb shifter. It's out of stock at the moment waiting for stock to arrive

I'm also going with kid-size frame - short top tube, same as my gravel bike so I can use dropbar or gravel dropbar (never been comfortable with flatbar) Maybe this is going to be lighter with mostly alloy parts and small frame size. I'll just use 400 or 450 mm seatpost for it.

I really don't mind >40 lbs since I almost always ride carrying something anyway, water bottle + clothes or groceries and my gravel bike easily weighs ~50 lbs with loads.

Less bike weight still helps though so I can carry more loads without having to walk the bike up some of the steep climbs or go longer, alternative routes.

Last edited by cubewheels; 05-16-21 at 01:53 AM.
Old 05-19-21, 09:19 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2156 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 670 Posts
Fair enough. I'm not into fat bikes so I'll leave this to those of you who are.
He only speaks for himself. I would say that in the last couple of years tire diameter, and wheel size, is the primary consideration of people who are "into fat bikes." The trend going towards wider tires and frame clearance for better snow/sand float. From a traditional 4" to 4.5 - 5+". Also a move from 26" to 27.5".

Build quality and component selection is next, looking at drive train choice and brakes. Weight might fall into that category with frame type so I would say secondary concern. Many many people who are into fat bikes don't choose carbon. Surly, with a loyal fat bike following does not make one.

FWIW, I ride a 2016 Aluminium Fatboy

Last edited by Happy Feet; 05-19-21 at 09:23 PM.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 05-20-21, 08:24 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by Happy Feet View Post
Nice ride. I had that same exact bike, but sold it in 2018 to upgrade to the carbon version.

Having had both, the ride characteristics of the carbon IS much better. It's more comfortable over bumps and rough roads (dampens vibrations better than aluminum) while at the same time being stiff enough in key areas for efficient pedaling.

Last year the GF rented an aluminum Salsa fat bike and I tried it out. Having not been on an aluminum fat bike for two years...Definitely could tell the difference in ride quality.

Last edited by prj71; 05-20-21 at 10:48 AM.
Old 05-20-21, 09:01 AM
Happy Feet

Maybe. However, I don't experience "the grass is always greener syndrome" much.

I originally bought my fat bike to deal with these conditions, which stumped my traditional mtb. With 4.6" tires it does the job remarkably well. Tire width and float was my primary concern.

Old 05-20-21, 09:17 AM
bOsscO
bOsscO

He only speaks for himself. I would say that in the last couple of years tire diameter, and wheel size, is the primary consideration of people who are "into fat bikes." The trend going towards wider tires and frame clearance for better snow/sand float. From a traditional 4" to 4.5 - 5+". Also a move from 26" to 27.5".

Build quality and component selection is next, looking at drive train choice and brakes. Weight might fall into that category with frame type so I would say secondary concern. Many many people who are into fat bikes don't choose carbon. Surly, with a loyal fat bike following does not make one.

Nice pics. Is that the CBC tower near the top of Seymour?
Old 05-20-21, 12:00 PM
Happy Feet

Nice pics. Is that the CBC tower near the top of Seymour?
No, it's a tower on Sumas Mountain. I live on the shoulder of it and can ride from my house to there.
Old 05-20-21, 02:10 PM
prj71

However, I don't experience "the grass is always greener syndrome" much.
For me it's not about the grass being greener. It's about 1.) Comfort and 2.) Less weight to pedal up the hills.
Old 05-20-21, 03:29 PM
Happy Feet

For me it's not about the grass being greener. It's about 1.) Comfort and 2.) Less weight to pedal up the hills.
More comfort than the already 4+" tires on a fat bike? Less weight to pedal up hills?

They were designed for deep snow and sand with ultra wide tires at low pressures and low gearing. I don't think the exra comfort of carbon fiber or the weight when riding up hills (considering the cumulative resistance of low pressure wide tires, sand and snow) are the primary concerns for people looking for a fat bike.

However to each their own. I find bike ownership to be a shifting spectrum at best. 10 years ago I did not think of fat bikes. Now I own one. If the right deal came along I think I would trade for a plus bike 3" tire like a Surly ECR. I do not see myself investing in a cf fatbike but others might.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 05-20-21 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-21-21, 08:43 AM
prj71

More comfort than the already 4+" tires on a fat bike? Less weight to pedal up hills?
Yup. When you can do back to back you can tell the difference. When my local groomed snow trails are packed and hard you can run 8-10 psi in the tires in the winter...Difference between carbon and aluminum is very noticeable.

My previous fatboy like yours was 32 lbs. My carbon one is 27 lbs. Will be lighter some day when I get a carbon wheelset built for it. Definitely makes a difference in how much effort is expending pedaling up hills. Good friend of mine rides a LaMere Fat Bike. It weighs 21 lbs.

https://www.lamerecycles.com/fatbike

They were designed for deep snow and sand with ultra wide tires at low pressures and low gearing. I don't think the exra comfort of carbon fiber or the weight when riding up hills (considering the cumulative resistance of low pressure wide tires, sand and snow) are the primary concerns for people looking for a fat bike.
Maybe not for you, but for most of my friends that I ride with it is. Then again...maybe you don't know what you don't know.

However to each their own. I find bike ownership to be a shifting spectrum at best. 10 years ago I did not think of fat bikes. Now I own one. If the right deal came along I think I would trade for a plus bike 3" tire like a Surly ECR. I do not see myself investing in a cf fatbike but others might.
Thats kewl. I have a plus wheelset for my 29er FS.
Old 05-21-21, 09:54 PM
cubewheels

Comfort, safety, and simplicity of rigid frame has been one of my considerations for owning a fatbike.

My road bike has 35mm wide tires on it but the ride is still quite jarring on our pavement. Most of our roads are neglected and badly damaged. Even if repairs are made, the quality of repairs is horrible, makes potholes much worse. I normally would just run over potholes at cruise speed without slowing down. The 35mm wide 700c wheels handles potholes pretty well....Ironically, the "repairs" turns these potholes into small, dome-shaped features on the road like a short, small speed bump. You can't run through these at high speed even if you're standing on the pedals, it can make you bounce so badly to lose control.

I had a budget hardtail before for road use but the budget suspension fork didn't last long before it needed replacement and even low end ones still hurts my wallet.

This is why my consideration would a be a fully rigid machine that can deal with our roads. The answer came through the form of fully rigid fatbike. I used to think it's a silly idea to have one for use mostly in the road (many local commuters use rigid fatbikes for commuting around the city, even women!!). But after many close calls when I went too close to vehicles to avoid huge cracks on the road, or the opposite, fell into huge cracks to avoid traffic and fortunately, not falling over and one incident that unfortunately sent me to ER (falling over an eroded part of the road and into sharp edges). Finally convinced me to save some money to buy a fat bike, ironically, mostly for road use and for a little bit of adventure (exploring beaches, volcanoes, etc)