Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Help!! Grocery store hostile to cyclists!!!

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-21, 11:58 AM
ylbaborp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I ride my bike to my local Sprouts all the time. My bike is my primary mode of transportation and I've been going to the Sprouts without a problem over a year, until they hired a new parking attendant who has been harassing cyclists for months now.

Here is what the parking attendant has done to me (and at least one other cyclist):
  • Deliberately surrounds your bike with shopping carts
  • Deliberately rams shopping carts into your bike
  • Put garbage in my bike basket (he put used and contaminated paper towels they use to wipe shopping carts in my bike basket where I transport the food I purchased)
I've contacted the manager several times but this guy keeps doing it. I even told the manager that I wasn't trying to be a "Karen" and didn't want to get this guy in trouble at first, but he's harassed me and other cyclists repeatedly now.

The problem is that this store has NO FUNCTIONAL BIKE RACK!! It's almost never used because there's no way to lock your bike frame to the bike rack as it's set up. I tried explaining this to the parking attendant but he won't even listen and doesn't want to solve the problem.

The bike rack is sometimes even used by scooters. So like most cyclists, we tend to use the parking pole in the middle of the parking lot. I always park my bike outside of the walkway so as to not be an inconvenience, but this guy still won't stop harassing cyclists and the manager isn't doing anything about it.

Open to suggestions, but I could use some help from other cyclists to get this store to stop discriminating against us. My bike is my primary mode of transportation as it is for many of you I'm sure. Thanks!

Last edited by StanSeven; 05-13-21 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Removed specific identifying store details
Old 05-13-21, 12:21 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
It used to be largely confined to the general forum. Lately they have spilled into A&S and even touring.
Old 05-13-21, 12:44 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
Hmmmmm. I see a few options here.

1) Communicate your issue with the company management. See https://www.sprouts.com/customer-care/
2) They deliver.
3) Shop somewhere else.
4) Take your bike inside with you. If they say nothing, do your shopping and leave. If they tell you that bicycles are not allowed in the store, leave the store without your items
Old 05-13-21, 12:54 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 270 Posts
You need evidence of the harassment and vandalism. If you can obtain this then you can make a case of it. You could try to get your local news media interested in a story about this. There are other ways to stop these kind of incidents but you have to be willing to follow through.
Likes For Rick:
Old 05-13-21, 01:04 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way...

But bicycling is your only mode of transport, you are a brand new member and your first post is a complaint listing a business's location and phone number implying you want us to call the store.

It is difficult to believe somebody whose only mode of transportation would just be signing up on this forum, and it's a little suspicious that you are asking us to contact the store.

You have received sound advice in the previous posts. Good luck with your problem.
Old 05-13-21, 01:12 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
East Fix::: Shop at Another Store and Drop your Attitude.

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 05-13-21, 04:11 PM
ylbaborp

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by stevel610
But bicycling is your only mode of transport, you are a brand new member and your first post is a complaint listing a business's location and phone number implying you want us to call the store.

It is difficult to believe somebody whose only mode of transportation would just be signing up on this forum, and it's a little suspicious that you are asking us to contact the store.

You have received sound advice in the previous posts. Good luck with your problem.
Right, I have pictures of the incident but I can't upload any because I'm still a new member. If you want, I'm happy to provide them to you in a method that's approved of.
Old 05-13-21, 04:13 PM
ylbaborp

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
You think I'm in the wrong? Why should I have to shop at a different store because they don't provide adequate bike parking?
Likes For ylbaborp:
Old 05-13-21, 04:15 PM
ylbaborp

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rick
You need evidence of the harassment and vandalism. If you can obtain this then you can make a case of it. You could try to get your local news media interested in a story about this. There are other ways to stop these kind of incidents but you have to be willing to follow through.
I have pictures of carts surrounding my bike, though I could imagine someone arguing that it's not proof he put them there. I also have pictures of the trash he left in my bike basket. He was walking away with the same garbage that I found in my basket as I came out of the store. I told the manager of the time and date that it happened, within minutes of it occurring, so he can check the security camera.
Old 05-13-21, 04:15 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
We enjoy owning and riding our Bikes.
We are Not Here to Be your Lawyer.

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 05-13-21, 06:23 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 270 Posts
We enjoy owning and riding our Bikes.
We are Not Here to Be your Lawyer.

I won't be somebodies lawyer but will suggest appropriate actions. The kind of stupidity that ylbaborp speaks of is a form of stocking. There are people around us that like to intimidate others. It can escalate and become dangerous. Yes ylbaborp could choose to leave the store, but I wouldn't.
Old 05-13-21, 09:35 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by ylbaborp
You think I'm in the wrong? Why should I have to shop at a different store because they don't provide adequate bike parking?
how about because they don’t provide adequate bike parking! Find one that does and go there.

if this is a chain store go higher up the chain with proof.
Likes For Bmach:
Old 05-13-21, 10:06 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Bring the bicycle in with you and don't leave it out of your control.
Works for me:
Old 05-14-21, 03:22 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
If you can get video of him actually ramming your bike, this might actually be a police matter.

If this is really the only store you want to shop at, is there a street sign or something near the parking lot you can lock your bike to?

I have to say, I'm skeptical of your story because I don't know of any market anywhere with a "parking attendant."
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-14-21, 07:02 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Running away from a bully is never a good solution.

This is the same as cyclists being bullied by drivers. Either drivers have to share the road with cyclists or cyclists get their safe space by riding in protected bike lanes adjacent to motorized traffic.

In this case, either the grocery store allows bicycles to park where they have to or provide bike racks.
Old 05-14-21, 08:31 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3770 Post(s)
Liked 1,036 Times in 784 Posts
Where is this store located? Is the parking lot attendant the only person causing problems or are there multiple people doing this?
Old 05-14-21, 08:42 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I have to say, I'm skeptical of your story because I don't know of any market anywhere with a "parking attendant."
They are in the Westwood area in Los Angeles. Yeah, I believe it. That is one of the most affluent neighborhoods in the LA area. Home of UCLA, wedged between Beverly Hills and Brentwood. Big bucks there. Probably more money in Westwood than Minnesota and North Dakota combined.

"Madam, can I park your Bentley for you?",
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 05-14-21, 09:15 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
They are in the Westwood area in Los Angeles. Yeah, I believe it. That is one of the most affluent neighborhoods in the LA area. Home of UCLA, wedged between Beverly Hills and Brentwood. Big bucks there. Probably more money in Westwood than Minnesota and North Dakota combined.

"Madam, can I park your Bentley for you?",

OK, I didn't see OP until the location info had been stripped.

So essentially, he's parking his bike where a valet needs to get cars around in order to make a living because the store has improperly installed a bike rack and can't figure out why the valet is doing what he can to make him stop this? That about the size of it? Pretty sure the valet can't fix the bike rack.

Probably less money than Minnesota alone, but less than Minnesota and North Dakota combined.
Old 05-14-21, 05:06 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
"Parking attendant" may refer to the person whose job is to round up the carts and bring them back into the store.

This shows some interesting regional differences. In my locale, the upscale grocery stores are the ones trying to make themselves out to be bike friendly. I realize that being BMW friendly and being bike friendly is kind of an existential dilemma.
Old 05-14-21, 05:40 PM
billridesbikes

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Sprouts Farmers Market is a mega-grocery chain that prides itself on ‘sustainability’, involvement with the community and ESG street-cred.

Try writing to the CEO and ask for decent bike racks? Explain why this would be a great move for Sprouts. Make sure to include your dissatisfaction with the store manager.

Jack Sinclair
5455 East High Street, Suite 11, Phoenix, AZ 85054

https://about.sprouts.com/sustainability/
Old 05-14-21, 06:57 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,566 Times in 3,764 Posts
This appears to be the bike rack in question.

Old 05-14-21, 07:40 PM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
In my city in some of the down area supermarkets there is an attendant. Turns out people would park at the store for several hours without shopping there. The drivers did not want to pay for parking on the downtown streets.
Old 05-14-21, 08:21 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by cb400bill
This appears to be the bike rack in question.

I've used a lot worse.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-14-21, 08:33 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Lock it behind the cart corral.
Old 05-15-21, 08:01 AM
ylbaborp

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OK, I didn't see OP until the location info had been stripped.

So essentially, he's parking his bike where a valet needs to get cars around in order to make a living because the store has improperly installed a bike rack and can't figure out why the valet is doing what he can to make him stop this? That about the size of it? Pretty sure the valet can't fix the bike rack.

Probably less money than Minnesota alone, but less than Minnesota and North Dakota combined.
No, there is no valet at this grocery store. There are many affluent people in this neighborhood, but it's not that fancy. There's a very expensive grocery store nearby they go to, which is insanely expensive. A cup of soup will run you $10 from the deli. It's nuts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.