Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

50+ Thoughts on going tubeless.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

50+ Thoughts on going tubeless.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-21, 05:16 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by leob1
I been thinking about 'up grading' the wheels on my road bike to a tubeless set up. But the curmudgeon in my says that tube work fine so why go through the time and expense setting up to tubeless. Wheels and tires are tubeless ready.
So, what is the benefit of going tubeless; better ride? less flats? less maintenance? Is it worth it?
Your thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated.
This is my experience.....I have Mavic Ksyrium Elite USTs w/Mavic Yksion tires. They were developed as a "system" by Mavic. You can inflate with a regular floor pump. I'm in my 3rd season (I have them on my GFs bike too) and neither of us has had a flat. They are lighter than my Ksyrium Elite clinchers. They seem to roll more easily and they are definitely more comfortable. I haven't encountered any down side yet.
Old 05-31-21, 05:23 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by leob1
I been thinking about 'up grading' the wheels on my road bike to a tubeless set up. But the curmudgeon in my says that tube work fine so why go through the time and expense setting up to tubeless. Wheels and tires are tubeless ready.
So, what is the benefit of going tubeless; better ride? less flats? less maintenance? Is it worth it?
Your thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated.
This is my experience.....I have Mavic Ksyrium Elite USTs w/Mavic Yksion tires. They were developed as a "system" by Mavic. You can inflate with a regular floor pump. I'm in my 3rd season (I have them on my GFs bike too) and neither of us has had a flat. They are lighter than my Ksyrium Elite clinchers. They seem to roll more easily and they are definitely more comfortable. I haven't encountered any down side yet.
Old 05-31-21, 05:26 PM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
We have 3 of our mountain bikes in our stable that use the UST system and I have to agree that it works great. Problem is that the tires no longer seem to be made, and that early standard has been abandoned.
Old 05-31-21, 05:49 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,114 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
What does age have to do with tubeless?
Functionally nothing. But it is interesting to read through this thread to see how many other older riders view newer technologies such as tubeless tires.

And it appears I am in the camp that resists tubeless for most of the reasons cited. I haven't had a flat in years (knock on wood), tubes work well enough and messing with the sealant thing just sounds like trouble to me. And I have to wonder if my age is a factor in all those reasons against tubeless.

Last edited by Chuck M; 05-31-21 at 06:19 PM.
Old 05-31-21, 06:08 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
Man, absolutely nothing personal against Caloso, but that phrase "Ghetto Tubeless," used a lot these days, really irks me. Doesn't it bother anybody else?
You’re probably right. I’ll say nonstandard tubeless instead.
Likes For caloso:
Old 05-31-21, 06:36 PM
VicBC_Biker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
Functionally nothing. But it is interesting to read through this thread to see how many other older riders view newer technologies such as tubeless tires.

And it appears I am in the camp that resists tubeless for most of the reasons cited. I haven't had a flat in years (knock on wood), tubes work well enough and messing with the sealant thing just sounds like trouble to me. And I have to wonder if my age is a factor in all those reasons against tubeless.
IIRC, whenever I questioned something that was a 'bad idea' at work, the answer was "you are afraid of change".
Old 05-31-21, 08:07 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,052 Times in 1,074 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
Man, absolutely nothing personal against Caloso, but that phrase "Ghetto Tubeless," used a lot these days, really irks me. Doesn't it bother anybody else?
Hacked tubeless. Modifying something to use for other than it's intended purpose. Seems appropriate, but doesn't exactly flow off the tongue.
Old 05-31-21, 08:25 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,052 Times in 1,074 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M

An result of age is number of iterations of doing things, which results in some degree of proficiency. Patching tubes, replacing tubes, finding holes n tubes, avoiding pinch flats, seating a tire with a tube, ensuring the valve stem comes out straight, getting the bead even around the rim. A bunch of fiddly stuff that becomes second nature with practice.
Then a new thing comes along with a new set of fiddly stuff. The advantages of that hard earned skillset are reduced, and new things must be learned The retro grouch response is so easy, and maybe even rational. We could just stop learning, and fade away.

Last edited by downtube42; 05-31-21 at 08:29 PM.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 06-05-21, 01:40 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
What thoughts are associated with the term 'ghetto tubeless'?

The term shows contempt for residents of less desirable neighborhoods, especially neighborhoods in which members of minorities live.

I could say it bothers me, as long as it's understood that 'bother' is an understatement.

Last edited by philbob57; 06-05-21 at 01:48 PM.
Old 06-11-21, 08:26 AM
leob1

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Well, I never though this would have the legs it did. And mostly stayed on topic!
So, the consensuses seems to be that if you flat often then you might be better off with tubeless. I don't flat a lot, this is the bike I ride the least. (yes, it looks at me hanging in the garage forlornly)
I Think I'll not convert this bike to tubeless. Maybe I'll revisit when I need new tires.
Or maybe I'll go tubeless on the new bike I'm getting to celebrate my 65th revolution of the sun.

Thank you all for your thoughts and responses. Too bad we all can't get together IRL for some food and drinks, I think we'd have a really good time!

Enjoy the Ride!
Likes For leob1:
Old 06-11-21, 08:40 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 770 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
and then de-mounting the tires once a year to remove all the old dried out sealant (again, recommended) just wasn't worth it.
Whoever recommended that doesn't know what they are talking about. Just add a few ounces every 4-6 months. The only time you'll need to de-mount the tire is because it punctured beyond repair or you wore it out.
Old 06-11-21, 08:41 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Tubeless is pointless to me...There is nothing wrong with using tubes, why complicate things ??
Do you have tubes in your car tires?
Old 06-11-21, 08:49 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by terrymorse
So restricting the "benefit" to resistance to punctures, which many postings in this thread have touted as the main benefit from tubeless.

The tubeless advantage is (drumroll, please)... Pinch flats.
No. The biggest tubeless advantage is that a small puncture seals itself while you are riding meaning you can keep riding and not have to stop. Or if the puncture is a little larger you may lose some air and have to stop and pump it up a little. The main advantage is less of a chance of having to stop and de-mount the wheel, tire and tube and reverse the process.

This tubeless thing isn't THAT difficult to understand.
Old 06-11-21, 09:06 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 776 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Whoever recommended that doesn't know what they are talking about. Just add a few ounces every 4-6 months. The only time you'll need to de-mount the tire is because it punctured beyond repair or you wore it out.
And soon you'll have a tire that weighs......?

If I get one or two flats a year, I consider the time I spend installing a new tube less of an inconvenience than messing with sealer. To each his own, I guess, but I'll stick with tubes.
Old 06-11-21, 09:14 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3412 Post(s)
Liked 3,542 Times in 1,782 Posts
The biggest tubeless advantage is that a small puncture seals itself while you are riding meaning you can keep riding and not have to stop.
The stated "tubeless advantage" is due to liquid sealant, which also works rather well inside an inner tube.

Old 06-11-21, 10:23 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
And soon you'll have a tire that weighs......?

If I get one or two flats a year, I consider the time I spend installing a new tube less of an inconvenience than messing with sealer. To each his own, I guess, but I'll stick with tubes.
You'll wear the tire out before you ever add enough sealant that weighs as much as a tube.

Adding sealant is a piece of cake. Less than 5 minute job. Remove the valve core with valve core removal tool. Pour in sealant. Put valve core back in. Done.

Last edited by prj71; 06-11-21 at 12:26 PM.
Old 06-11-21, 10:27 AM
prj71

The stated "tubeless advantage" is due to liquid sealant, which also works rather well inside an inner tube.
I don't think you are "getting it" it's more than that.

https://www.alpecincycling.com/en/eq...es-road-bikes/

Old 06-11-21, 10:34 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

I don't think you are "getting it" (the so-called "tubeless advantage") it's more than that.

https://www.alpecincycling.com/en/eq...es-road-bikes/
Ow! My brain now hurts from all that marketing hype, presented uncritically and without supporting facts.

Old 06-11-21, 12:26 PM
prj71

Ow! My brain now hurts from all that marketing hype, presented uncritically and without supporting facts.
Comprehension is hard...
Old 06-11-21, 12:29 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Comprehension is hard...
Critical thinking is an acquired skill.

Last edited by terrymorse; 06-11-21 at 12:36 PM.
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 06-11-21, 12:50 PM
prj71

Much like there was resistance to disc brakes on road bikes...Tubeless tires on road bikes is the next disc brake right now.

Eventually you'll get it. It's one of them things...You don't know what you don't know.
Likes For prj71:
Old 06-12-21, 01:48 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Much like there was resistance to disc brakes on road bikes...Tubeless tires on road bikes is the next disc brake right now.

Eventually you'll get it. It's one of them things...You don't know what you don't know.
Literally everyone understands why some types of riders prefer disc brakes for the riding they do.
Literally everyone understands why some types of riders prefer tubeless tires for the riding they do.
And I certainly underestimated how popular these technologies would become on road bikes.

But there is a certain contingent of forum posters who refuse to believe that not everyone has the same preferences, even with a completely informed understanding of the differences.
How many flat tires per year do I have to have (or avoid) to make the hassles of a tubeless tire system preferable? The answer is "more than the two or three that I get currently."
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 06-12-21, 02:31 PM
Cpn_Dunsel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
.. the hassles of a tubeless tire system ...
What hassles? (especially when set up on a new bike).

The only hassles would come from doing something incorrectly and that remains true with tubes or even tubular.
Old 06-12-21, 02:56 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Originally Posted by Cpn_Dunsel
What hassles? (especially when set up on a new bike).
The only hassles would come from doing something incorrectly and that remains true with tubes or even tubular.
Incorrect. You know what the hassles are and you're ignoring them.
There are dozens of threads on this topic across multiple forums where people with real experience have expressed legitimate gripes about those hassles.
And the fact is, tubeless systems offer zero advantages over tubed tires for someone who gets zero flats... the benefit to hassle ratio is a continuum beyond that, and different riders can draw the line at different places.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 06-13-21, 07:26 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
And the fact is, tubeless systems offer zero advantages over tubed tires for someone who gets zero flats... the benefit to hassle ratio is a continuum beyond that, and different riders can draw the line at different places.
Aside from flats, the other real advantage of tubeless is the ability to run lower pressures, especially on wider road tyres. I find that a real bonus on our crappy chip seal roads.

I haven’t personally had any more hassle running tubeless tyres over tubed, but some people clearly do. Those who have never even tried tubeless tyres often presume them to be a big hassle based on what they read. Most of which is from people attempting to run tubeless for the first time. There are new skills to be learnt (as with any change), but there is enough good info out there to get it right. We forget tubes can also be a hassle for someone who has never fitted one before.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.