Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Cleats, Toe-Clips, or Platform Pedals with Standard Footwear?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.
View Poll Results: What type of footwear and pedals do you prefer?
Platform pedals and standard footwear.
36.67%
Toe-clips and standard footwear.
26.67%
Cleats.
36.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-21-21, 01:30 AM
AlanK

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts

I'm somewhat surprised there don't seem to be many threads discussing pedal and footwear options. I'm curious what the preferences are. I preferred SPD shoes/cleats when I was younger, but now I prefer the simplicity of platform pedals with standard footwear. While cleats are supposedly more efficient, the difference seems pretty minor and they are significantly less comfortable for walking. I love that I can park my bike, go for a long walk or hike and not have to change footwear. I'm curious what others think.
Old 05-21-21, 01:52 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,235 Times in 616 Posts
Why would you Care?

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 05-21-21, 02:20 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
Standard footwear? I use bike specific footwear.
Old 05-21-21, 04:32 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 228 Posts
how do i vote?

platform pedals + clips/straps + mtb cycling shoes with spd thingie removed.
Old 05-21-21, 05:25 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
Cleats? What does that mean? Does it mean clipless pedals? Back in the day some riders using clips and straps also used cleats to lock in foot position. A few probably still do. I am going to assume when you say cleats you mean clipless pedals and I'll vote cleats.

I very much prefer a clipless system. My second choice would be no retention at all. I hate clips and straps having lived with them long ago. Any time they were tight enough to do any good they were uncomfortable and difficult to get out of. To really positively position the foot a dedicated bike specific shoe and a cleat would help, but then it is even more of an issue exiting the pedal. Someone even makes some that look harder to walk in than clipless cleats that bolt on to modern road shoes, but I can't imaging why anyone would want them.

Here is a pic of the old style cleats I am referring to since many may have never seen them.

Old style cleats for clips and straps.
Old 05-21-21, 05:51 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
When touring, both. Bring SPD cleated shoes and also Merrill Moab waterproof hiking shoes.

Vast majority of days use SPD cleated shoes on the bike.

The hiking shoes are mostly for use in the campsite. Days when I used the hiking shoes on the bike include: (1) if my SPD shoes are very wet from previous rainy days and the next day is expected to be dry I might wear the hiking shoes to let my SPD shoes dry out while also keeping my feet drier, (2) there have been days on very rough gravel, cobbles, single track when I did not want to be cleated in and wore hiking shoes, (3) or if it is a sightseeing day when I am staying in one place for a couple nights but want to ride a short distance but am mostly walking that day, will wear the hiking shoes, (4) or a quick ride to the store or pub or restaurant from the campsite.

Pedals, there are lots of options for platform on one side and SPD cleat on the other side. On some bikes I have Shimano A530 (I think that is discontinued now) and on some bikes I have M324 pedals. A few years ago I wrote up a thread comparing those two pedals, but now with many more options of SPD/Platform, that thread is now somewhat dated.
https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1...l#post18306425

On trips where I might have to ford a stream, also have a pair of light sandals, but sandals are not for riding. Also use those for shower shoes. Sometimes wear the sandals in the campsite too.

Non-touring, my road bike has double sided Ritchey Comp SPD pedals. My folding bike has MKS Ezy quick release pedals with toe clips.

A friend of mine was on a fully supported foreign bike trip and hit a pothole that he did not expect or see, he was on platform pedals and woke up in the hospital. That said, when I mentioned this before, someone responded with a story that was the exact opposite.

I am not buying any more pedals that I can't easily add grease to the bearings. My A530 pedals and many other Shimano pedals can easily be re-greased if you have the inexpensive TL-PD40 tool. My Ritchey Comp pedals have a metal cap that takes an allen wrench to access the innards.

On the other hand I have tried to get the plastic cap off of my M324 pedals and the cap will probably be destroyed if I remove it, thus have not added any grease to them. Not buying any more pedals like that.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 05-21-21 at 06:03 AM.
Old 05-21-21, 06:20 AM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
For decades i rode with metal toe clips and leather straps, until I got some SPD cleats and shoes. Though I liked them, I didn't like being able to only use special shoes. Now I have any pedal, with plastic toe cups, only. I like having the connection with the bike, but with that combo I can ride with anything on my feet, which means just getting on and riding to the store, etc., is a lot easier. I tried going without the cups, but I like the automatic alignment and feeling like I can pull up if necessary that I get from the cups.
Old 05-21-21, 06:22 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by AlanK
...the difference seems pretty minor and they are significantly less comfortable for walking. I love that I can park my bike, go for a long walk or hike and not have to change footwear. I'm curious what others think.
This is exactly my view. There may be a cost consideration for some, as well as the attraction of having one less pair of shoes.

I own one bike and use it for nearly everything, nearly every day, and seldom just stay on the bike. Yesterday I cycled to a trail work event, put in six volunteer hours moving dirt, then cycled to the non-profit bike shop for a couple more volunteer hours, then out for a brew with those folks before cycling home. Twelve hours of walking and cycling, one pair of shoes!

By the way, I know forum searches can be difficult, but this topic gets discussed fairly often. As the poster above said, why do we care? It's just one of those personal issues that people get passionate about. Like oil vs wax on your chain....
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 05-21-21, 06:42 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 93 Posts
Yeah, on tour, old skool toeclips and running shoes.

I have no problem riding clipless with stiff soled cycling shoes, or barefoot on plastic pedals, but I like toeclips with the strap just tight enough to stop my feet slipping off the pedals.
Nice to have only one pair of shoes.

To be honest after a while I forget what ”system” I have. ”Allduhsame!”
Likes For imi:
Old 05-21-21, 06:48 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
Hybrid pedals (SPD clipless on one side and platform on the other) with SPD shoes for clipless riding with a sandals option. This was my touring setup last outing. I also have clips and straps on some other bikes and bare platforms on a 3-speed.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 05-21-21, 07:03 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 952 Times in 783 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Why would you Care?
I've always figured some folks want other folks to nudge their decision making along, but thats ok I guess
(doesn't appear to be the case here though, he's happy with his regular shoes)

personally, I really like to have a different set of shoes to put on after riding all day, even if they are sandals or something.
as for the shoes I wear riding all day, sorry but thats only between me and my therapist.
Old 05-21-21, 11:10 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,262 Times in 7,220 Posts
I can take long walks in my SPD-cleated shoes. And they are sure nice to be clipped in while slogging up a long, rough unpaved road.

And I also like changing shoes at the end of the day, which is why I have a pair of light sandals. Allows the dogs to breathe.

People like what works for them.
Old 05-21-21, 02:53 PM
AlanK

Originally Posted by imi
Yeah, on tour, old skool toeclips and running shoes.

I have no problem riding clipless with stiff soled cycling shoes, or barefoot on plastic pedals, but I like toeclips with the strap just tight enough to stop my feet slipping off the pedals.
Nice to have only one pair of shoes.

To be honest after a while I forget what ”system” I have. ”Allduhsame!”
Yeah, that's how I feel. I was just curious what others think. I understand some situations cleats might be beneficial like racing or trails, but for general riding on mostly paved surfaces to me they're more of a hassle than they're worth. I'm seldom on my bike more than about 20 minutes at a time, so I'm sure that's a factor.
Old 05-21-21, 03:22 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

... I'm seldom on my bike more than about 20 minutes at a time, so I'm sure that's a factor.
This is the touring board, I assumed you are on the bike for hours at a time.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 05-21-21, 04:00 PM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Yeah. I think the same way, but some people have different ideas about what touring is I guess. For me it is usually riding pretty much all day or most of it at least most days. I do take breaks to see and do things, but still spend long hours in the saddle. Most places I have toured services are often far enough apart that there wouldn't be much choice to do otherwise.
Old 05-21-21, 04:11 PM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by staehpj1
Yeah. I think the same way, but some people have different ideas about what touring is I guess. For me it is usually riding pretty much all day or most of it at least most days. I do take breaks to see and do things, but still spend long hours in the saddle. Most places I have toured services are often far enough apart that there wouldn't be much choice to do otherwise.
Yeah, when I ride for 20 minutes, or less, I am likely on my errand bike going to the grocery store or gym or something else close by, then I use platform pedals, etc.

When something is posted on the touring board, I think it reasonable to expect that the topic is touring and comments should be made in that context.
Old 05-21-21, 04:45 PM
staehpj1

Yeah, when I ride for 20 minutes, or less, I am likely on my errand bike going to the grocery store or gym or something else close by, then I use platform pedals, etc.

When something is posted on the touring board, I think it reasonable to expect that the topic is touring and comments should be made in that context.
Which raises the question... Are talking we talking about riding around town on short rides or does he ride that short of a sections when actually on a tour? Either is possible and some do consider all pleasure riding touring (I don't). It does seem odd to me, but not impossible. Maybe Alan will clarify.
Old 05-21-21, 06:34 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
I've NEVER been a fan of cleats since I started riding seriously in the mid '70s. Why wear a shoe that is only intended to ride the bike? What about walking into a store mid-ride and sliding because of the metal/plastic cleats? I bought my first pair of Bata Bikers in '78 or so because I wanted to ride AND walk in the same shoes.

When those Bikers finally rotted away after several years and 30k+ miles, I found my current Specialized 'touring' shoes. Again, fiberglass shank for rigidity, and a sole I can walk in for miles if necessary...

Oh, and I wear toe clips/straps on most of my bikes just so I can wear 'normal' shoes should I need to walk into a convenience store, etc...
Old 05-21-21, 07:12 PM
indyfabz

My current touring shoes are not intended solely for cycling. And I’ve never slipped due to the SPD clips. Wore them into the office for the umteenth time today after riding to work. At the end of the day I went shopping in 3 different stores. If it weren’t for the occasional crunch on some concrete surfaces you would not know they are fitted with cleats.
Old 05-21-21, 07:18 PM
indyfabz

I'm somewhat surprised there don't seem to be many threads discussing pedal and footwear options. I'm curious what the preferences are. I preferred SPD shoes/cleats when I was younger, but now I prefer the simplicity of platform pedals with standard footwear. While cleats are supposedly more efficient, the difference seems pretty minor and they are significantly less comfortable for walking. I love that I can park my bike, go for a long walk or hike and not have to change footwear. I'm curious what others think.
What happened to the Bedrock sandals you said you carry for extended periods off the bike and the Shimano SPD sandals you posted about not even two months ago?
Old 05-21-21, 08:20 PM
Tourist in MSN

I have several pair of SPD shoes, all have recessed cleats between the lugs or in a recessed area in the sole. But, there is enough flex in the soles and lugs that when I walk on concrete I can audibly hear the cleats contact the concrete, although with the shoes off the cleats are clearly recessed. I can easily walk in them, although the soles are stiffer than I would prefer for a lot of walking.

I mentioned above that I often bring Merrill hiking shoes on bike touring trips too, they have a sole that is stiff enough that they are comfortable on platform pedals for a long day of cycling if I choose to wear them instead of the SPD cycling shoes.
Old 05-22-21, 12:35 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 93 Posts
In the case of ”what happens if it breaks in the middle-of-nowhereistan?” clipless pedals with one platform side makes sense.
Cleats and even shoes can fail of course.

I do make sure my toeclip straps are in good condition before a tour as they can wear through too.
Old 05-22-21, 12:40 AM
AlanK

I haven't done any long tours yet. Maybe I'll feel differently afterwards...

Originally Posted by indyfabz
What happened to the Bedrock sandals you said you carry for extended periods off the bike and the Shimano SPD sandals you posted about not even two months ago?
Are you stalking me?!?

I still have them, but after using the for a few weeks I'm more inclined to just use standard footwear. The Bedrock Sandals work fine and are way more comfy walking longer distances. While the Shimano sandals are fine, even though they're recessed the cleats noticeably contact paved surfaces. I still think they're a great option for riders who want SPD footwear, though they do seem to run somewhat large.
Old 05-22-21, 04:46 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 952 Times in 783 Posts
I haven't done any long tours yet. Maybe I'll feel differently afterwards...
When you do touring, you may find that your arches get "tired" with regular shoes that aren't stiff enough. I certainly found that stiffer soled shoes help a bunch of foot muscles being less sore or crampy, but well fitting shoes and even better socks all help in a big way too in this regard, plus of course specific pedals too, shape, size, surface area, flat, concave a bit etc etc

But only you can know what works for you, for how hard you ride and for how long.
I know what feels better for me.
Likes For djb:
Old 05-22-21, 06:13 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by indyfabz
He said he preferred SPD when he was younger. Apparently that was less than two months ago. It makes me wonder if Alan is yanking our collective chains or if he is just that new to all this that he is still changing his mind very quickly while figuring it all out.

To be fair we all change our minds on some of this stuff. You can go back and find me espousing different opinions than I hold now. You generally have to go back years or more often decades though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.