Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

PSIcle passive tyre pressure sensor

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-02-21, 08:52 AM
mfc101

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've been looking for something like this for a while: a passive tyre pressure sensor (no batteries required) that can be read by smartphone, so no need to connect pump to test (and lose) pressure: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...psicle-sensor/

(Disclaimer: I have no connection with the makers of this, although I do want one ... :-).)
Old 06-02-21, 09:04 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by mfc101
...so no need to connect pump to test (and lose) pressure:
Tires likely need more air weekly and I've heard that one needs to connect a pump to accomplish this. So we now "want" to hang this ungainly (i.e. ugly) stem extension on our wheel to tell us through technology what we can already guess: we need to break out our pump. Let me think about it.

Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 06-02-21, 09:10 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/04/...re-sensor.html

This one will pair with your head unit so you can track tire pressure during your ride in real time.
Likes For caloso:
Old 06-02-21, 09:17 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
This just showed up on MTBR as well.

$30 per wheel (times your number of bikes) to replace a single $25 gauge.

The only practical use I see for this is if you are on a multi day bike trip it will save you carrying the weight of a pressure gauge. Bit even then, if anyone else is carrying a pressure gauge, this product becomes somewhat moot.

But it uses a smart phone app, so I am guessing they will sell quite a few.
Old 06-02-21, 09:18 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
IMO this wasn't something ever really meant for folks that aren't really nuts into triathlon or TT. If you are, people used these to do more reliable CRR testing when setting up bikes for Ironman or TT's with pressures and tire setups specific to the bikes, riders, and events they were doing.

I say that to pre-empt all the "solution looking for a problem" responses folks give. It's simply a tool with an originally useful and limited purpose that is trying to make some more sales. That's all.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 06-02-21, 09:30 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,162 Times in 672 Posts
It's a cool high tech device and a nice easy to use solution.
But aesthetically, I really don't want one on my road bike!

I don't see buying them any time soon.

Barry
Old 06-02-21, 10:03 AM
mfc101

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
Tires likely need more air weekly and I've heard that one needs to connect a pump to accomplish this. So we now "want" to hang this ungainly (i.e. ugly) stem extension on our wheel to tell us through technology what we can already guess: we need to break out our pump. Let me think about it.

? That doesn't look like the PSIcle at all, or maybe an early prototype?

(Hmm, separately, wouldn't it be nice if there were an angled adapter for valves so one could put the pump on without fighting with the spokes?)

Last edited by mfc101; 06-02-21 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Afterthought.
Old 06-02-21, 10:06 AM
mfc101

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kapusta
This just showed up on MTBR as well.

$30 per wheel (times your number of bikes) to replace a single $25 gauge.

The only practical use I see for this is if you are on a multi day bike trip it will save you carrying the weight of a pressure gauge. Bit even then, if anyone else is carrying a pressure gauge, this product becomes somewhat moot.

But it uses a smart phone app, so I am guessing they will sell quite a few.
For me it looks good because I only ride once or twice a week and the biggest time-waster before each ride is checking the tyre pressure, which requires connecting the pump and losing a chunk of pressure which now means it looks low but probably was fine ... and maybe would have been for weeks.
Old 06-02-21, 10:09 AM
mfc101

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Barry2
It's a cool high tech device and a nice easy to use solution.
But aesthetically, I really don't want one on my road bike!

I don't see buying them any time soon.

Barry
<chuckle> Not sure I understand the 'aesthetical' argument ... road bikes are inherently ugly (compared to, say, recumbents, racing bikes, or a Dutch commuter bike). :-)
Likes For mfc101:
Old 06-02-21, 10:11 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

For me it looks good because I only ride once or twice a week and the biggest time-waster before each ride is checking the tyre pressure, which requires connecting the pump and losing a chunk of pressure which now means it looks low but probably was fine ... and maybe would have been for weeks.
If I go a few days between rides, I already know I am going to be adding air. Yes, floor pumps lose a bit of air, but but pretty much any hand held tire gauge will lose only a minuscule amount of air in use.Particularly the digital ones.

Last edited by Kapusta; 06-02-21 at 10:17 AM.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 06-02-21, 10:20 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
As long as my thumb and knuckle work, I don't need a smartphone app or dongle.
Old 06-02-21, 10:32 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4746 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
I am content to use the early digital sensors that I keep handy attached to my wrist. Always available and always works. Yes, a little drift psi-wise but hardly enough to matter. (Thumb and finger squeeze. Simple, fast and light.) At home. my floor pump has a gauge that is consistent but final say is often the squeeze even then.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 06-02-21, 10:36 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
? That doesn't look like the PSIcle at all, or maybe an early prototype?
Yep, that's why the picture was from the website you linked.
Old 06-02-21, 10:58 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
I like the idea. Every time someone wants a more accurate pressure gauge, the BikeForums savants come out in force to tout their magical finger powers. These sensors aren't for people who've run the same pressure on the same tires their entire lives who have no desire or curiosity to try something new. Finger measurement is as accurate as "going by feel" torque; it can consistently determine a point, but no chance at a spread or real value. Someone who always cooks the same slab of meat the same way doesn't need a cooking thermometer either, but they are indisputably useful to cooks with more varied recipes.

I've gone on rides on new tubeless tires where I've wanted to experiment with varying the pressure, something I never dared to do tubed because I've gotten pinch flats despite my floor pump gauge at home reporting pressure comfortably within the recommended charts. I've also had unlucky flat repair incidents on the road where my minipump (since upgraded) couldn't come close to the pressure I left home on, where during the whole ride back I was paranoid about pinch flatting, only to notice that the unintended lowering of pressure might've been better because the rest of the ride felt like riding on a cloud.
Old 06-02-21, 04:58 PM
Rick

Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 377 Times in 262 Posts
Tubolito PSENS wireless smart tube for MTB
Old 06-02-21, 05:49 PM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
technology is out of hand (and fingers-thumbs}

gm
Old 06-02-21, 06:16 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 1,490 Times in 543 Posts
On my road bike, it pretty much needs some air every day unless I don't care about what pressure I'm running. On my old beater hybrid, I don't really care that much and it loses very little air so generally I put air in it when I lube the chain.

That Quark solution is ridiculously big for it's purpose.
Old 06-02-21, 07:16 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,300 Times in 7,231 Posts
For me it looks good because I only ride once or twice a week and the biggest time-waster before each ride is checking the tyre pressure,
And after you spend the how much more incremental time using that thing only to discover you lost pressure you still have to go through the above. It’s like using your phone to determine whether or not you need to wipe after going No. 2 and then spending more time to do the wiping.

Last edited by indyfabz; 06-02-21 at 07:21 PM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-02-21, 08:06 PM
Rick

Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 377 Times in 262 Posts
[QUOTE][ And after you spend the how much more incremental time using that thing only to discover you lost pressure you still have to go through the above. It’s like using your phone to determine whether or not you need to wipe after going No. 2 and then spending more time to do the wiping./QUOTE]

I agree with you. Even if you get the Tubolito PSENS wireless smart tube for MTB. It is still faster just to check the air pressure with a gauge and add the air. When they make it to so you can see the air pressure of your tires at the handlebars like on a motorcycle then it might be worth it.
Old 06-03-21, 07:43 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by pdlamb
As long as my thumb and knuckle work, I don't need a smartphone app or dongle.
I fear that, in the not-too-distant future, some will not know if they need to breathe without an app telling them they need to.

Meanwhile, those of us standing in line with cash in hand waiting to buy a $3 newspaper are SOFHs at those in front of us fumbling with your phones trying to find and open an app to pay for a bag of Fritos and a Big Gulp. And they think they have added convenience and efficiency to their lives.
Old 06-03-21, 07:59 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
If I am not already stuck in my own bike time zone, I believe I am ready to be.
Old 06-03-21, 08:40 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by delbiker1
If I am not already stuck in my own bike time zone, I believe I am ready to be.
ECT=Eastern Cycling Time.
Old 06-03-21, 10:56 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
And after you spend the how much more incremental time using that thing only to discover you lost pressure you still have to go through the above. It’s like using your phone to determine whether or not you need to wipe after going No. 2 and then spending more time to do the wiping.
It's just part of the trend these days to control every single little aspect of our lives from our phones. No, I don't need to check my phone to make sure my bike tires are aired up. No, I don't need a smart fridge to tell me the milk is going bad. No, I don't need to check my phone to see how much water my toilet just flushed. I have a smart watch but I really don't care how many steps it says I took every day or how much sleep I've gotten the night before. Nor do I really need to check my heart rate. If my smart watch ever dies on me I'll probably just go back to a regular wristwatch. At least I can see what time it says in bright sunlight.
Old 06-03-21, 02:32 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
It's just part of the trend these days to control every single little aspect of our lives from our phones. No, I don't need to check my phone to make sure my bike tires are aired up. No, I don't need a smart fridge to tell me the milk is going bad. No, I don't need to check my phone to see how much water my toilet just flushed. I have a smart watch but I really don't care how many steps it says I took every day or how much sleep I've gotten the night before. Nor do I really need to check my heart rate. If my smart watch ever dies on me I'll probably just go back to a regular wristwatch. At least I can see what time it says in bright sunlight.
Yes, but think of how much better your life is now that big tech companies and their data clients know if your tires are aired up, what is in your fridge, when you poop, where you walk, when you are sleeping, and your vital signs.
Old 06-03-21, 02:46 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
This uses a phone app because NFC is how you can power a passive sensor. A battery adds weight and then would need to be charged or replaced. The nice part of the PSIcle design is it'll work with pretty much any tire with a removeable Presta valve core and won't need to be replaced if a tube goes bad.

There's the weekly disc brake thread and the latest Strava thread for those yelling at clouds.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.