Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Tour de France Contenders

Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...
View Poll Results: Who takes the yellow jersey?
Tadej Pogacar
25.93%
Geraint Thomas
7.41%
Primoz Roglic
40.74%
Richie Porte
0%
Miguel Ángel López
0%
Richard Carapaz
14.81%
Julian Alaphilippe
7.41%
Wilco Kelderman
0%
Simon Yates
0%
Someone else
3.70%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Tour de France Contenders

Old 06-24-21, 08:35 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4269 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,816 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
That is an interesting equation. Right now all the USA riders are there to sacrifice for their GC guy. It would not be unusual for them to even hold back in an ITT to help another day.
But...teams know having a USA guy do well brings up eye-balls in the USA at least (which buys things) and allowing them to fly free a few stages may help their sponsors more than helping the GC guys.

I expect Brandon will not be holding back in the ITT and I expect Sepp will be allowed to fly up a mountain stage. Rating the USA riders against each other works better when their job isn't about getting their GC guy to place better.
I question whether this is true. Few UCI teams have financial models that are impacted by US viewership in any tangible way. The team sponsors are for the most part doing it for the advertising value, but their markets are in Europe. Ineos Grenadier? it's not available in US markets and I doubt most in the US even know what the product is.. Movistar? Not a north american brand. etc.

And I don't believe the teams are paid directly or indirectly for the television rights. Someone correct me if I've got that wrong.
Old 06-24-21, 08:50 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
I question whether this is true. Few UCI teams have financial models that are impacted by US viewership in any tangible way. The team sponsors are for the most part doing it for the advertising value, but their markets are in Europe. Ineos Grenadier? it's not available in US markets and I doubt most in the US even know what the product is.. Movistar? Not a north american brand. etc.

And I don't believe the teams are paid directly or indirectly for the television rights. Someone correct me if I've got that wrong.
For the bike and component companies, USA is a good size market for their top bikes. Maybe less so with all the eBikes.
It is a niche sport where for some brands it doesn't matter, but for other niche businesses - Specialized, Trek, Shimano it does. I believe Campagnolo was the primary component supplier before Lance started winning on Trek and Shimano.
I *believe* a USA rider of similar rank to a Euro rider is compensated a bit better.
Old 06-28-21, 10:52 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 431 Posts
Roglic is not looking so good anymore. Carapaz was my pick.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me

Last edited by TejanoTrackie; 06-28-21 at 11:03 AM.
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 07-18-21, 02:18 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,640 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I did not know that about Bernal until just now. I hope he can find relief for his back problems.

Primoz for the win.

I always like to guess who the highest placing USA rider will be and how far out of the top ten they will place.

Sepp Cuss was very good last year in the second half. Save for two stages, he was as good as anyone from the mid point on. Cuss will place in the low 20's
Kuss clawed his way back into the low 30's. Again this year he was outstanding from the mid point on.