Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

NF and parks overrun grrrrrr!

Notices
Foo Light hearted off-topic chit chat with no general subject.

Old 06-17-21, 07:50 PM
Hondo Gravel
es ist mir egal

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2159 Post(s)
Liked 2,259 Times in 1,458 Posts

In the Colorado Rockies and every campground is full and traffic bumper to bumper everywhere! Stuck in a Woodland Park Colorado hotel that is nice but that isnít what I want to do. I want to camp out and rough it eating Ramen noodles and canned chicken in the mountains under pine trees. Jeez_Us I guess everybody had the same game plan. Beautiful the scenery is and I like Colorado but so does everyone else oh well I get one free drink at the bar and the restaurant looks like they serve good food. But I would rather have Ramen noodles over my camp stove and cheap hot dogs on a stick over a camp fire with a cold cheap beer while in nature. Stinking of bug spray and sunblock with blisters on my feet from hiking all day not dodging traffic in the countryside.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 06-17-21, 08:17 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 3018 Post(s)
Liked 1,037 Times in 594 Posts
Well at least I hope you're planning on a big tip at the restaurant.

BTW, Coloradans love Texan tourists. Crested Butte?
Old 06-17-21, 09:23 PM
Hondo Gravel
es ist mir egal

15-20% lol

Last edited by Hondo Gravel; 06-17-21 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Altitude
Old 06-17-21, 09:28 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1164 Post(s)
Liked 354 Times in 194 Posts
Colorado?

Nobody goes there anymore because it's too crowded.
Old 06-17-21, 09:53 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 15185 Post(s)
Liked 6,345 Times in 3,597 Posts
It was ******g crazy crazy year, at least 10x more people than I've ever seen on most trails, people parking on the freeway, just pandemonium. Everyone says it hasn't really let up this year.

Up here it's clustered on the trails and routes that are already popular and desirable. A person can still find solitude on a good trail if they're clever and know where/how to look.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 06-17-21, 10:42 PM
Hondo Gravel
es ist mir egal

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
It was ******g crazy crazy year, at least 10x more people than I've ever seen on most trails, people parking on the freeway, just pandemonium. Everyone says it hasn't really let up this year.

Up here it's clustered on the trails and routes that are already popular and desirable. A person can still find solitude on a good trail if they're clever and know where/how to look.
Even Big Bend NP in west Texas is becoming too crowded it has been discovered. If you wanted to get away Big Bend NP was the place. Terlingua and Lajitas on the outside of the park use to be crazy ghost towns with very few amenities were you could go back in time but today it suffers from overdevelopment. Tomorrow going to see a few sights. Probably cruise to the top of Pikes Peak then head towards New Mexico. Start over there and maybe set up camp lol. Since things are beginning to open back up everyone is wanting to get out. Disappointed I canít find even a tent sight not even a reservable one Iím still glad Iím in Colorado right now.
Old 06-17-21, 11:18 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Quoted: 14397 Post(s)
Liked 2,402 Times in 1,790 Posts
It has been a while since I've been there, but if you want to go "Roughing It", try the Selway Bitterroot Wilderness Area.

There are literally hundreds of lakes. Most without trails.

Pick a half dozen lakes. Then plot a hike to a new lake each day.

Hike in. Camp at a lake. Go fishing. BBQ trout for dinner. Then pack it up and head to another lake the next day.

When I was last there, one could literally hike for a week, and perhaps see one other group of hikers.

My interpretation is that if a Winebego can't make it to a camp site, people just don't go there.

It may be changing a bit now. I think there may be a couple of active airports in the middle of the wilderness area. Not quite sure how that happened.
Old 06-18-21, 01:13 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 483 Times in 356 Posts
hey...try arkansas! beautiful scenery here, too. and, it's not all crowded like that. plus, we need to feed the ticks....lol
Likes For thook:
Old 06-18-21, 05:02 AM
ahsposo 
Major Member

Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 5428 Post(s)
Liked 2,745 Times in 1,622 Posts
And they need the genetic material...
Likes For ahsposo:
Old 06-18-21, 05:53 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2008 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 455 Posts
If car camping, there are countless free primitive sites scattered throughout the national forests. You need to bring water, but most have a fire ring, table and pit toilet. Some are on the Nat'l Forest motor vehicle maps, also look for websites that show free camping.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 06-18-21, 05:54 AM
Hondo Gravel
es ist mir egal

Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
And they need the genetic material...
Quit making fun of your home state of Georgia Ö.
Old 06-18-21, 07:05 AM
J.Higgins 
Mentally Derailleured

Bikes: Bilenky Tourlite, Surly Ogre

Quoted: 1277 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 394 Posts
I feel your pain, Hondo.

I was born and raised in a small oceanfront town in Maine. It was always crowded with tourists every summer, and we grew up with that. It was kind of part of the excitement of that town in the summer. Bars were open. Sidewalks were full of people. Nights and days were exciting and fun. There was a feeling in the air. Now, cruise ships cycle in and out of that little port, dumping thousands more people into that little town. There are times when it truly is standing room only. You cant even find a spot on a bench or even on the rocky shoreline if all you want to do is eat the sandwich that you waited in line for an hour to get. Horrible.

So move away from the coast, and you get all of the people who hate the crowds at the coast, forming their own crowds in the woods and streams of the north woods areas of Maine. Days are gone when you can find a little peace and quiet in parts of the world that are truly worth going. Locals up there hate you instantly when they see your non-Maine plates, so there's no hospitality - unless you are at a place that depends on tourism, then they'll smooch your butt until the cows come home if they think it'll squeeze a few more bucks out of your wallet. Otherwise, they just put up with you. I have seen this attitude in just about every popular tourist spot I've ever been in.

My best friend has a few hundred acres up in northern Tx. He's a double retiree like me, and his whole thing is just to stay on his ranch and let the rest of the world go to hell. He hunts hogs and deer on his property, and brews his own beer, and putters around with his old GTO. He and his wife are content to stay right there, and they wont travel with us. We've asked them several times to vacation in Spain with us, but they refuse. I'm beginning to think they got the right idea.
Old 06-18-21, 07:19 AM
J.Higgins 
Mentally Derailleured

Bikes: Bilenky Tourlite, Surly Ogre

Quoted: 1277 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 394 Posts

I don't think its going to get better. I think those days are gone. Marketers have done a real bang-up job of making all of us realize how much better life is in the great outdoors, and how meaningless our lives are if we aren't striving to be outside and in the elements and paddling/cycling/hiking/photographing/camping/etc. Everybody wants to be there because they don't want to feel inadequate. Its like back in the day when there became a realization that Cosmopolitan and other fashion and beauty magazines made a girl feel so inadequate and depressed because she would eventually realize that she would never become a model or be as lithe and lovely as those girls in the pages of those magazines. Just breeze through the REI website and you'll get the vibes that outside and camping and hiking blah blah blah, are the sole reason for living and you are nothing if you don't do it too.
Old 06-18-21, 07:34 AM
Hondo Gravel
es ist mir egal

I got kicked out because I refused to chew tobacco lol.
Old 06-18-21, 08:14 AM
Hondo Gravel
es ist mir egal

Now this is more like it. Surf fishing down Padre Island National Seashore where you need a 4x4. Crowds the first 5 miles then the sand gets too thick and you need a 4x4 then 60 miles of wild beach. Be prepared! Beer is currency if you need help lol.

South Texas south of Corpus Christi 3 hours from my place. Great fishing.. you never know what is going to hit your fishing line.
Old 06-18-21, 08:49 AM
BenzFanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 43 Posts
Even when I was at Zion and Bryce Canyon in December it was ridiculously crowded for the off-season. I think it'll taper off some but the nat'l parks aren't the hidden gem they once were, for sure. A lot of the big parks, even prior to COVID, were working on upping their capacity for traffic.

The way to get away from people at crowded parks are the long hiking trails. Typical Jim Bob who can hardly get into his pickup and his well-fed family of 4 aren't committing more than a mile or 2.
Likes For BenzFanatic:
Old 06-18-21, 09:06 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13732 Post(s)
Liked 6,580 Times in 3,352 Posts
Some National Parks, including Glacier, are requiring advance reservations to enter certain parts of the park between certain hours due to overcrowding concerns. Only applies if you are driving. Cyclists and pedestrians are exempt from the requirement.

Here are the Glacier rules:

Going-to-the-Sun Road Ticketed Entry - Glacier National Park (U.S. National Park Service) (nps.gov)
Old 06-18-21, 10:13 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 5072 Post(s)
Liked 1,784 Times in 1,060 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
It has been a while since I've been there, but if you want to go "Roughing It", try the Selway Bitterroot Wilderness Area.

There are literally hundreds of lakes. Most without trails.

Pick a half dozen lakes. Then plot a hike to a new lake each day.

Hike in. Camp at a lake. Go fishing. BBQ trout for dinner. Then pack it up and head to another lake the next day.

When I was last there, one could literally hike for a week, and perhaps see one other group of hikers.

My interpretation is that if a Winebego can't make it to a camp site, people just don't go there.

It may be changing a bit now. I think there may be a couple of active airports in the middle of the wilderness area. Not quite sure how that happened.
This is how it is in AZ, NM, UT. Read up on the hikes in the books and cross those off the possible list, check if there are instgram images and cross those off too.
One only needs to stay on trails if there are trails going the same way.

I spent a week in Bears Ears a few weeks ago and only saw a few people in the canyons.
Likes For noisebeam:
Old 06-18-21, 11:00 AM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16094 Post(s)
Liked 1,445 Times in 1,056 Posts
Meanwhile back here at home the trails have become quiet because everyone is out of town crowding the get away areas. Life is good.
Old 06-18-21, 11:03 AM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
If car camping, there are countless free primitive sites scattered throughout the national forests. You need to bring water, but most have a fire ring, table and pit toilet. Some are on the Nat'l Forest motor vehicle maps, also look for websites that show free camping.
On this note, you're allowed to camp anywhere in a national forest that it isn't specifically prohibited. You can camp on the side of a NF road if you can get your car off the road safely (unless there's a sign saying otherwise). It's called disbursed camping. Very common.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 06-18-21, 11:06 AM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by J.Higgins View Post
I don't think its going to get better. I think those days are gone. Marketers have done a real bang-up job of making all of us realize how much better life is in the great outdoors, and how meaningless our lives are if we aren't striving to be outside and in the elements and paddling/cycling/hiking/photographing/camping/etc. Everybody wants to be there because they don't want to feel inadequate. Its like back in the day when there became a realization that Cosmopolitan and other fashion and beauty magazines made a girl feel so inadequate and depressed because she would eventually realize that she would never become a model or be as lithe and lovely as those girls in the pages of those magazines. Just breeze through the REI website and you'll get the vibes that outside and camping and hiking blah blah blah, are the sole reason for living and you are nothing if you don't do it too.
Hiking has been getting more and more popular every year (in my neck of the woods) but really exploded during the covid lockdowns and throughout the summer. With everything else people do for entertainment being closed and money being a problem, the woods started looking real attractive. A lot of people must have realized they like great outdoors because they're still going there.
Old 06-18-21, 11:24 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 5072 Post(s)
Liked 1,784 Times in 1,060 Posts
On this note, you're allowed to camp anywhere in a national forest that it isn't specifically prohibited. You can camp on the side of a NF road if you can get your car off the road safely (unless there's a sign saying otherwise). It's called disbursed camping. Very common.
Those are good spots in a pinch, but lately seem to have a lot of long term campers on them and are often quite overused. What my family has done for several years now is ditch the car camping gear and instead pack the overnight backpacking packs to get at least a mile away from any road.
Likes For noisebeam:
Old 06-18-21, 11:44 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 161 Posts
Short answer: there's too many people on this planet.

I like to go to the FL state parks, but even when you're hiking the trails it is very challenging to feel like you're getting away from civilization when you hear the constant drone of cars from the nearby roadway.

Also, heard today that they are planning on building a highway through the Everglades...just great.
Likes For bikecrate:
Old 06-18-21, 11:57 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Quoted: 14397 Post(s)
Liked 2,402 Times in 1,790 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
Meanwhile back here at home the trails have become quiet because everyone is out of town crowding the get away areas. Life is good.
Where is "home"?

Is that down in Arizona where it is about 120į?

I'd imagine there'd be great camping wherever there isn't AC.
Old 06-18-21, 01:19 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1702 Post(s)
Liked 1,346 Times in 869 Posts
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/r2/re...telprdb5322548

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.