Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

How to set browser to never display "kardashian?"

Notices
Foo Light hearted off-topic chit chat with no general subject.

Old 06-18-21, 11:17 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10642 Post(s)
Liked 2,668 Times in 1,838 Posts

There are some folks that are little more than media wh-res... really... and frankly I am tired of seeing anything show up on my daily news feed about them... Kardashian anything. Jenner anything. Big Bang Theory anything... and frankly Trump anything.

I would just as soon set my browser to eliminate any and all "news" generated by these folks whose 15 minutes of fame is so very very over.

Does anyone sell a filter I can install?

Of course I am somewhat kidding... or am I?
Likes For genec:
Old 06-18-21, 11:38 AM
genec
genec

Of course the irony is that I was a huge Big Bang Theory fan, back when it was a regular season show. But now it's dead, the actors are doing something else, and no matter how cute she is, I don't need a weekly news update on what any of the actors is doing today.

Reruns are old. Time to move on.

As for members of a certain family... why are they even news? sheesh
Old 06-18-21, 11:46 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 433 Times in 263 Posts
1. I have not had broadcast television in my house for years. I think BBT was in its 5th season when I cut the cable. I was visiting someone last summer who had cable and was amazed at how frequently BBT reruns were on. Like basically any time I turned on the TV I could watch an episode. Hilariously, it was only ever episodes from seasons 1-5, and every episode that was one I had seen.

2. Now that Kanye West is split from KK, maybe I can avoid the K family but still get my daily dose of nuttiness from Yeezy. The things he says are abhorrent and ridiculous and ignorant, but GODDAMN that man can make music like nobody else.
Old 06-18-21, 11:49 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 5062 Post(s)
Liked 1,762 Times in 1,051 Posts
I think it is because you keep clicking on the stories. Ignore them and they will eventually ignore you.
Likes For noisebeam:
Old 06-18-21, 02:29 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by noisebeam View Post
I think it is because you keep clicking on the stories. Ignore them and they will eventually ignore you.
Honestly, I have NEVER clicked on a KK story... don't care about her or her "support group." The stories just keep showing up in the entertainment section of my news feed. I could delete the whole entertainment section, but occasionally there is something interesting there. But mostly, it is about people who think they are important...

The other section is technology news... frankly, the latest video game info or cheat files are hardly "technology." I would just as soon see those sent to a "games" section.

Yes, I have a TV or three in the house... I tend to watch news and weather, and I subscribe to TCM. I like old movies... they have dialog vice special effects. Oh and we watch cooking shows.

Now my wife... oh, don't get me started. She loves QVC for some gawdawful reason... in spite of the fact that the few things she bought from them turned out to be pure crap. She also loves murder mystery shows... and BBC. I love her, so I go to another room.
Old 06-18-21, 02:38 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

If you click on entertainment stories you will get more
You maybe able to filter out (or in) sources as well which may be better than subjects. For example I have buzzfeed, newsweek, people, the daily mail, etc. blocked since it was all click bait garbage
I have the issue that my feed is 80% physics and astro articles since I keep clicking on them... Doh.
The rest is mostly Fox news since I also clicking on them to get that perspective during my morning routine.
Old 06-18-21, 03:00 PM
genec
genec

If you click on entertainment stories you will get more
You maybe able to filter out (or in) sources as well which may be better than subjects. For example I have buzzfeed, newsweek, people, the daily mail, etc. blocked since it was all click bait garbage
I have the issue that my feed is 80% physics and astro articles since I keep clicking on them... Doh.
The rest is mostly Fox news since I also clicking on them to get that perspective during my morning routine.
I hear you loud and clear... and yes, I click on Fox for the same reason. And I tend to avoid MSNBC... mindless dribble akin to watching the "Today show" or something like that, and calling it news... ugg.

And yes, I do filter sources. But apparently some folks are such attention junkies that they show up in multiple sources. SIGH.

Most of the time I am just playing music on my computer while I work on new RF designs.

BTW the thread is more in jest than anything else... I just thought it was ironic that there wasn't some sort of filter to keep certain stories out. No doubt I could install a Child lock and use key words.
Old 06-18-21, 04:00 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: N+1, but minus two or three

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 179 Posts
Easy. Stop watching the news, or the news feed, as the case may be. Most of what seems to pass as "news" these days is actually entertainment. And bad entertainment at that.

But that's just me; I haven't watched the news in at least 20 years, and don't have a "news feed."
Old 06-18-21, 04:17 PM
Bearhawker

Bikes: '19 Norco Bigfoot 6.1 (primary ride),'12 Motobecane Turino (killed by dog crash), '12 Trek 3700 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 24 Posts
Install a PiHole and block any sites you don't want

I never see ads and trackers.. What are those? Nothing comes in or out that I don't allow. My VPN service, PiHole and my Unbound DNS server all run on a Pi Zero Wireless (cost $12 Canadian so essentially free in USD). I run my own PBX on my "desktop" Pi 4 so I also control all phone stuff too. Why just block numbers when you can send them to a muzac/voice prompt hell they can't get out of? LMAO
Old 06-18-21, 04:22 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 15174 Post(s)
Liked 6,321 Times in 3,583 Posts
Ha ha, me too.
Old 06-18-21, 04:24 PM
ahsposo 
Major Member

Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 5424 Post(s)
Liked 2,734 Times in 1,613 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearhawker View Post
Install a PiHole and block any sites you don't want

I never see ads and trackers.. What are those? Nothing comes in or out that I don't allow. My VPN service, PiHole and my Unbound DNS server all run on a Pi Zero Wireless (cost $12 Canadian so essentially free in USD). I run my own PBX on my "desktop" Pi 4 so I also control all phone stuff too. Why just block numbers when you can send them to a muzac/voice prompt hell they can't get out of? LMAO
Oh, you Canadians! Boy, you know how to have fun!
Old 06-18-21, 09:29 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame, Proteus frame, Ti 26 MTB

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2457 Post(s)
Liked 1,485 Times in 991 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
Of course the irony is that I was a huge Big Bang Theory fan, back when it was a regular season show. But now it's dead, the actors are doing something else, and no matter how cute she is, I don't need a weekly news update on what any of the actors is doing today.

Reruns are old. Time to move on.

As for members of a certain family... why are they even news? sheesh
Glad you qualified that because I was like I can see hate for a Cardashian or Jenner or Orange Osama but why Big Bang Theory I never really watched it much but have caught a bunch of episodes and rather liked it. But yeah don't really care what they are doing. Heck I barely care what some friends and family are doing today. If I want to know I ask.

I won't agree on reruns I like a good rerun without reruns I probably wouldn't have seen all the old 40s and 50s cartoons as a child.
Old 06-18-21, 11:26 PM
SurferRosa
Señor Member

Bikes: Old school lightweights

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 1897 Post(s)
Liked 2,121 Times in 1,193 Posts
How to set browser to never display Kardashian
In your browser, click Tools and then Settings. Go to the Pop Culture tab. Scroll down past Talentless Waste and select Lobotomized Garbage. Then just deselect the Kardashian dialog box. You're welcome.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 06-18-21, 11:58 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Quoted: 14386 Post(s)
Liked 2,400 Times in 1,788 Posts
I keep waiting for the return of the Cardassians. Perhaps they'll be back next season.

Likes For CliffordK:
Old 06-19-21, 12:25 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Quoted: 4254 Post(s)
Liked 2,205 Times in 1,423 Posts
Switch to DuckDuckGo on mobile, or anything other than Google products on PC or Mac. That'll cut way back on the junk "news."

Google products track everything we look at. You don't even need to click through a junk news story. Google assumes that if we leave the teaser on screen for too long, we're reading the headline and summary and are actually interested in the story. So it'll keep pushing the same junk.

Don't believe it? Try a few experiments. If you're on Facebook, next time a friend posts a meme -- all graphics, including text -- Google a word or phrase from that meme. Facebook translates all legible text from graphics into readable format and immediately shares that info with all partners, including Google. So if a graphic meme with text appears onscreen on FB, most of the time as soon as you enter a few characters from that meme into Google it automatically assumes you're doing a search about that meme. Then it starts pimping junk news stories related to whatever it thinks you've been viewing. I've seen this repeatedly with obscure stuff that's very unlikely to pop up on Google unless it was already tipped to what I was reading a few minutes ago.

Ditto keystrokes. Facebook is a giant keylogger. It records every keystroke, every screen tap. So if you start to post a reply, but change your mind and edit or delete the post, it's too late. Facebook has already logged every keystroke and screen tap. And it influences everything we see: posts from friends, subscribed pages, sponsored pages and ads.

I'm a news junkie but I don't want to be swamped with junk news. So I use various tricks to break out of the filter bubble.

I do use Google news to quickly scan news-like material in the morning, along with apps for AP, Reuters, BBC, etc. The problem with Google's news feed is we create our own filter bubble every time we use it. So if I'm not interested in a topic or person I'll click on the options to block or reduce instances of those topics/persons. Sometimes that works.

From Facebook mobile I always default to DuckDuckGo for opening links. That way if I'm curious about some news-lite story about music, movies, celebrities, etc., it doesn't reinforce a filter bubble that keeps pimping the same stuff repeatedly.

Unfortunately that option works well only on mobile devices. The PC browser version of DuckDuckGo doesn't include a fully integrated browser. Same with StartPage. So if I want to browse news and views that only marginally interest me, I have to switch to a private browser and search from there.

There are also user configurable add-ons, extensions, etc., for browsers to filter out junk. Ditto Social Fixer and similar products for Facebook, although FB constantly tries to break those extensions. FB doesn't like outside sources reconfiguring what we see so it often interferes with browser add-ons and extensions.

The only extension that FB can't break is AdBlock because AdBlock is so powerful it can make or break websites that depend on viewer clicks. Same with YouTube. YouTube has become so overbearing with pushing junk ads that I rarely view YT videos on my phone. The ads start less than a minute into a video and break into videos mid-sentence. It's nothing like the old days of TV with planned commercial breaks, so the scripts were written to accommodate ads. YT's approach is like a bull in a china shop. I use the browser with ad and script blockers and permit only a few channels I subscribe to and support to run ads.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 06-19-21, 08:06 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by SurferRosa View Post
In your browser, click Tools and then Settings. Go to the Pop Culture tab. Scroll down past Talentless Waste and select Lobotomized Garbage. Then just deselect the Kardashian dialog box. You're welcome.
And there it is... I did not scroll down far enough.
Likes For genec:
Old 06-19-21, 11:13 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX, 5200 & 7700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 587 Times in 356 Posts
If you're using Chrome you can disable its use of 3rd party cookies in the settings section. This won't necessarily eliminate the sites you're trying to avoid but it will knock down a lot of the click-bait and repetitive sites that you see.
Old 06-19-21, 11:36 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime View Post
If you're using Chrome you can disable its use of 3rd party cookies in the settings section. This won't necessarily eliminate the sites you're trying to avoid but it will knock down a lot of the click-bait and repetitive sites that you see.
Really, it is NOT a matter of disabling sites... it IS a matter of disabling certain words... or any story containing those words... that is what makes it difficult. The attention seekers can show up anywhere on any "news." Look at Jenner for instance... trying to run for Governor of CA. He/she is going to show up even in WaPo, maybe WSJ... so it is not the site that makes the difference.
Old 06-19-21, 11:42 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
Glad you qualified that because I was like I can see hate for a Cardashian or Jenner or Orange Osama but why Big Bang Theory I never really watched it much but have caught a bunch of episodes and rather liked it. But yeah don't really care what they are doing. Heck I barely care what some friends and family are doing today. If I want to know I ask.

I won't agree on reruns I like a good rerun without reruns I probably wouldn't have seen all the old 40s and 50s cartoons as a child.
I am not against reruns per se... just news about actors who have done something in the past, and want to stay in the limelight with weekly bits about their latest haircut or stretchy pants... or lousy relationship. Don't need it, don't care, but can't eliminate it, as somehow, it is "news."

This still remains the best advice:
Too bad it really doesn't work that way.
Likes For genec:
Old 06-19-21, 11:47 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
I keep waiting for the return of the Cardassians. Perhaps they'll be back next season.

Actually not a big fan of them, either... nor the Ferengi... or come to think of it, DS9. I prefer space ships, not ports.
Likes For genec:
Old 06-19-21, 12:17 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 15174 Post(s)
Liked 6,321 Times in 3,583 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
Really, it is NOT a matter of disabling sites... it IS a matter of disabling certain words... or any story containing those words... that is what makes it difficult. The attention seekers can show up anywhere on any "news." Look at Jenner for instance... trying to run for Governor of CA. He/she is going to show up even in WaPo, maybe WSJ... so it is not the site that makes the difference.
You've heard of ad blindness, right? You need to be careful with your attention on the internet.
Old 06-20-21, 01:56 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Quoted: 4254 Post(s)
Liked 2,205 Times in 1,423 Posts
BTW, all of our activities on bike forums is harvested for pushing ads and junk news elsewhere online, unless you use ad and script blockers and a private browser. I've often seen products I've discussed only on bike forums show up in ads and cycling industry news stories shortly after posting on bike forums. That's because I generally use Chrome for bike forums, with minimal blocking of ads, scripts and trackers. And it's not just a coincidence -- often the products, people, etc., are very niche or obscure, unlikely to just coincidentally pop up on my Google news feed, Facebook, etc.

So the mere act of complaining about the Carcrashiuns and junk news here is likely to attract more junk news.
Old 06-20-21, 06:55 AM
Bearhawker

Bikes: '19 Norco Bigfoot 6.1 (primary ride),'12 Motobecane Turino (killed by dog crash), '12 Trek 3700 Disc

Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
BTW, all of our activities on bike forums is harvested for pushing ads and junk news elsewhere online, unless you use ad and script blockers and a private browser. I've often seen products I've discussed only on bike forums show up in ads and cycling industry news stories shortly after posting on bike forums. That's because I generally use Chrome for bike forums, with minimal blocking of ads, scripts and trackers. And it's not just a coincidence -- often the products, people, etc., are very niche or obscure, unlikely to just coincidentally pop up on my Google news feed, Facebook, etc.

So the mere act of complaining about the Carcrashiuns and junk news here is likely to attract more junk news.

From my PiHole log, just from refreshing this page, these are the DNS requests made:

09:49:36: query[A] gdpr.internetbrands.com from 192.168.2.51
09:49:36: gravity blocked gdpr.internetbrands.com is 0.0.0.0
09:49:40: query[A] content-autofill.googleapis.com from 192.168.2.51
09:49:40: forwarded content-autofill.googleapis.com to 8.8.4.4
09:49:40: query[A] assets.pinterest.com from 192.168.2.51
09:49:40: gravity blocked assets.pinterest.com to 8.8.4.4
09:49:40: query[A] connect.facebook.net from 192.168.2.51
09:49:40: exactly blacklisted connect.facebook.net is 0.0.0.0

so you can see with just one random forum page refresh, the forum website is reaching out to a lot of stuff designed to track you. That was before Ihit reply - next I rill check the logs after I hit "Submit Reply" and will post any thing interesting if it shows up.
Old 06-20-21, 06:56 AM
Bearhawker

^^ after submitting the reply the DNS requests were the same
Old 06-20-21, 08:06 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

BF works fine with these noscript permissions

Likes For noisebeam:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.