Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Poles on my bike

Old 06-23-21, 07:55 AM
  #1  
alo
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 1,059
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 254 Times in 185 Posts
Poles on my bike

Where I am, there are a lot of uncontrolled dogs, and a lot of people have been bitten by dogs. One way to keep dogs back, is to swing a stick at them. I decided it would be a good idea to have something I could use on my bike. So I clamped a PVC pipe to the chain stay, and rack. I put a longer thinner PVC pipe inside it. I could lift it out while cycling, and swing it at any dogs that came too close. Some time later, I went under a low tree, bent the pipe, which kinked, and it finished up shorter. I replaced it with a piece of bamboo.

I had previously carried two backpacks on my rack. They tend to lean over, and can fall off. With a pole on my bike, it was easy to secure two backpacks so they stay in place.

My aluminum rack broke. So I clamped a piece of bamboo to the side of it, and screwed the support to the bamboo, making it stronger than new. Later the other side of the rack broke. I used more bamboo to repair it and make it larger. My rack now has more bamboo than aluminum. The aluminum is broken in so many places it would fall apart if I removed the bamboo. The front of the rack is clamped around the seat post, allowing the rack to swing from side to side. Having pipe clamped to the side, reduced that. But PVC flexes, so I added another one on the other side, to reduce the swinging.

I now have a pole on each side. I can carry two backpack or more between the two poles, and one strap secures them. I can also carry two cartons of drinks or more between the tow poles, and one strap secures them. They make it really easy to secure high loads on the rack.

In the future I plan to replace the rack with a large strong rack. I plan to still have a pole each side, so it is easy to secure high loads on my rack.

If I ever ride long distances on busy roads, I can use a longer pole, and have a flag on top.

The best way to set up a bike depends on how you use it. Anyone wanting to load a rack high, consider a pole each side. This is light weight, and makes it easy to secure high loads on your rack. You could use broom handles, or aluminum tube, or anything else you want to use.

I prefer this to having something sticking out the sides, which can be an inconvenience in narrow spaces, either in traffic, or narrow trails.
alo is offline  
Old 06-23-21, 08:27 AM
  #2  
kahn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: northWET washington
Posts: 730
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 135 Posts
It wold be interesting to see a photograph of this setup.
kahn is offline  
Likes For kahn:
Old 06-23-21, 08:33 AM
  #3  
msu2001la
Senior Member
 
msu2001la's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,478
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 317 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier to just carry a collapsable baton? Or maybe some pepper spray?
msu2001la is offline  
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 06-23-21, 08:36 AM
  #4  
prj71
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 2,812
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 361 Times in 238 Posts
I'm laughing at you real hard. Can you please post of pic of this nonsense?
prj71 is offline  
Old 06-23-21, 08:37 AM
  #5  
ofajen
Cheerfully low end
 
ofajen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 958
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 267 Posts
Back in the day, I used a frame mounted Silca pump mounted along the seat tube to deter dogs. Easy to reach while riding and a useful length.

Otto
ofajen is offline  
Likes For ofajen:
Old 06-23-21, 08:39 AM
  #6  
Outrider1
Senior Member
 
Outrider1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 191

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5, Motobecane Cafe Disc Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 53 Posts
I employ a similar setup for jousting.

Last edited by Outrider1; 06-23-21 at 10:46 PM. Reason: misspell
Outrider1 is offline  
Likes For Outrider1:
Old 06-23-21, 08:42 AM
  #7  
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas
 
10 Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In The Wind
Posts: 32,075

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1047 Post(s)
Liked 587 Times in 296 Posts
I use a Small Marine Air Horn to fend off biting dogs. Has worked for 60,000 miles.

Keep it on the Right
__________________
Fred "The Real Fred"


Last edited by 10 Wheels; 06-23-21 at 08:51 AM. Reason: +
10 Wheels is offline  
Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 06-23-21, 08:48 AM
  #8  
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 25,349

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3877 Post(s)
Liked 1,067 Times in 747 Posts
Originally Posted by alo View Post
clamped a PVC pipe to the chain stay, and put a longer thinner PVC pipe inside it
I agree w/ Kahn "It would be interesting to see a photograph of this setup" for me because I like to carry a camera stick & I want to find a better way to do it. right now it rides on my rear rack, collapsed or partially collapsed. I can reach around while I'm riding to get it, but I have to stop to collapse it & put it back on the rack. sometimes I carry it across the front bars but that's not ideal. I know there have been threads about carrying fishing poles on bikes, that might interest you (I found a cpl see below). I once carried one on my top tub w/ velcro straps but it couldn't be retrieved while riding

https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plu...hing-bike.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/recreatio...hing-pole.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...reel-bike.html

Finished building the "Fishing Bike" - Bike Forums

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...any-ideas.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/9...hing-rods.html
rumrunn6 is offline  
Old 06-23-21, 08:54 AM
  #9  
Iride01
Hits [ENTER] b4 thinking
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 8,274

Bikes: '20 Tarmac Disc Comp '91, '78 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 1,855 Times in 1,317 Posts
I've yet to find a dog that will bite me. They love it when you flee or look scared. They seem to become meek as soon as you stand your ground and look big.

Though I'll suppose that maybe I haven't encountered that one dog that will bite me.

Seems like pepper spray will be the better choice, then they can go home and rub it on their owner.
Iride01 is offline  
Old 06-23-21, 08:55 AM
  #10  
livedarklions
Racerboyz' b'crat
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 9,816

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5077 Post(s)
Liked 4,375 Times in 2,462 Posts
I used to ride with a Pole on my rear rack, and he was quite adept at scaring off dogs. The Swede? Not so much.
livedarklions is offline  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-23-21, 08:57 AM
  #11  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 31,051
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13752 Post(s)
Liked 6,662 Times in 3,370 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
I'm laughing at you real hard. Can you please post of pic of this nonsense?
Don't hold your breath. And any pic needs to be a "proof-of-life" pic.
indyfabz is offline  
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-23-21, 08:59 AM
  #12  
alo
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 1,059
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 254 Times in 185 Posts
Here is one picture. It has gone through a number of remodels. When I started, the pipe was longer. This is after going under a tree and breaking it off. Since then I replaced it with bamboo. Since them my rack is wider with more bamboo than aluminum. Since then I have one each side. I plan to fit a new rack in the future, but maybe not for some time.


alo is offline  
Old 06-23-21, 08:59 AM
  #13  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 31,051
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13752 Post(s)
Liked 6,662 Times in 3,370 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
I used to ride with a Pole on my rear rack, and he was quite adept at scaring off dogs. The Swede? Not so much.
Letts are more effective.
indyfabz is offline  
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-23-21, 09:00 AM
  #14  
livedarklions
Racerboyz' b'crat
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 9,816

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5077 Post(s)
Liked 4,375 Times in 2,462 Posts
Originally Posted by alo View Post
Where I am, there are a lot of uncontrolled dogs, and a lot of people have been bitten by dogs. One way to keep dogs back, is to swing a stick at them. I decided it would be a good idea to have something I could use on my bike. So I clamped a PVC pipe to the chain stay, and rack. I put a longer thinner PVC pipe inside it. I could lift it out while cycling, and swing it at any dogs that came too close. Some time later, I went under a low tree, bent the pipe, which kinked, and it finished up shorter. I replaced it with a piece of bamboo.

I had previously carried two backpacks on my rack. They tend to lean over, and can fall off. With a pole on my bike, it was easy to secure two backpacks so they stay in place.

My aluminum rack broke. So I clamped a piece of bamboo to the side of it, and screwed the support to the bamboo, making it stronger than new. Later the other side of the rack broke. I used more bamboo to repair it and make it larger. My rack now has more bamboo than aluminum. The aluminum is broken in so many places it would fall apart if I removed the bamboo. The front of the rack is clamped around the seat post, allowing the rack to swing from side to side. Having pipe clamped to the side, reduced that. But PVC flexes, so I added another one on the other side, to reduce the swinging.

I now have a pole on each side. I can carry two backpack or more between the two poles, and one strap secures them. I can also carry two cartons of drinks or more between the tow poles, and one strap secures them. They make it really easy to secure high loads on the rack.

In the future I plan to replace the rack with a large strong rack. I plan to still have a pole each side, so it is easy to secure high loads on my rack.

If I ever ride long distances on busy roads, I can use a longer pole, and have a flag on top.

The best way to set up a bike depends on how you use it. Anyone wanting to load a rack high, consider a pole each side. This is light weight, and makes it easy to secure high loads on your rack. You could use broom handles, or aluminum tube, or anything else you want to use.

I prefer this to having something sticking out the sides, which can be an inconvenience in narrow spaces, either in traffic, or narrow trails.

So basically, you've constructed a rack that looks like a prop from Gilligan's Island?
livedarklions is offline  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-23-21, 09:01 AM
  #15  
VegasTriker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sin City, Nevada
Posts: 2,518

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 116 Times in 91 Posts
This never ends well and almost always gets locked fairly quickly as it degenerates into a pissing match between dog lovers and some who do not love dogs much. In decades of riding I have been bitten only once and the confrontation with the owner was far more cantankerous than with the dog. It ended up with calling the county sheriff for assistance.

My last memorable encounter with a dog was to have it jump into my lap and lick my face, much to the dismay of the owner. They can do that when you ride a trike. Luckily it was s small dog!
VegasTriker is offline  
Likes For VegasTriker:
Old 06-23-21, 09:02 AM
  #16  
livedarklions
Racerboyz' b'crat
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 9,816

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5077 Post(s)
Liked 4,375 Times in 2,462 Posts
Originally Posted by alo View Post
Here is one picture. It has gone through a number of remodels. When I started, the pipe was longer. This is after going under a tree and breaking it off. Since then I replaced it with bamboo. Since them my rack is wider with more bamboo than aluminum. Since then I have one each side. I plan to fit a new rack in the future, but maybe not for some time.



Sorry, but that has "this isn't going to end well" written all over it.
livedarklions is offline  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-23-21, 09:04 AM
  #17  
alo
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 1,059
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 254 Times in 185 Posts
This started out for dogs, and ended up being a good way to secure a high load on the rack.
alo is offline  
Old 06-23-21, 09:06 AM
  #18  
livedarklions
Racerboyz' b'crat
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 9,816

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5077 Post(s)
Liked 4,375 Times in 2,462 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker View Post
This never ends well and almost always gets locked fairly quickly as it degenerates into a pissing match between dog lovers and some who do not love dogs much. In decades of riding I have been bitten only once and the confrontation with the owner was far more cantankerous than with the dog. It ended up with calling the county sheriff for assistance.

My last memorable encounter with a dog was to have it jump into my lap and lick my face, much to the dismay of the owner. They can do that when you ride a trike. Luckily it was s small dog!

Frankly, I think the OP is running a bigger risk with that monstrosity on his bike just begging to fail than any risk a dog attack could bring.
livedarklions is offline  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-23-21, 09:07 AM
  #19  
prj71
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 2,812
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 361 Times in 238 Posts
Why don't you just get a new bike rack and carry some mace with you?
prj71 is offline  
Old 06-23-21, 09:08 AM
  #20  
livedarklions
Racerboyz' b'crat
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 9,816

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5077 Post(s)
Liked 4,375 Times in 2,462 Posts
Originally Posted by alo View Post
This started out for dogs, and ended up being a good way to secure a high load on the rack.

Are you familiar with the expression "plumber's nightmare"?
livedarklions is offline  
Old 06-23-21, 09:13 AM
  #21  
Rick
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 826
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 195 Times in 129 Posts
I rode with a touring group in Florida and when a dog took chase it was usually the girls they went after. One morning A dog went after one of the female riders and I came up behind the dog, grabbed his tail and raised him up some then released him. At one time I had a cattle prod attached to the top tube of my Tandem. Most of the time being stern is enough so a dog will back off.
Rick is offline  
Old 06-23-21, 09:15 AM
  #22  
woodcraft
Senior Member
 
woodcraft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 5,834
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1734 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 802 Times in 496 Posts
Can you deploy the pole while riding? Have you warded off any dogs with it yet?

Bit of a samurai vibe, which I like.
woodcraft is offline  
Old 06-23-21, 10:26 AM
  #23  
msu2001la
Senior Member
 
msu2001la's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,478
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 317 Posts
Seriously guys, you can get a collapsible baton for less than $20. Carry it in a a holster and live out your ninja samurai fantasy whenever you are attacked by beast or man.

https://www.amazon.com/Halafs-Expand...12954170&psc=1
msu2001la is offline  
Old 06-23-21, 10:49 AM
  #24  
blacknbluebikes 
Senior Member
 
blacknbluebikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: NJ, USA
Posts: 737

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 163 Posts
I throw kittens. Works great.
blacknbluebikes is offline  
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 06-23-21, 10:52 AM
  #25  
livedarklions
Racerboyz' b'crat
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 9,816

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5077 Post(s)
Liked 4,375 Times in 2,462 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la View Post
Seriously guys, you can get a collapsible baton for less than $20. Carry it in a a holster and live out your ninja samurai fantasy whenever you are attacked by beast or man.

https://www.amazon.com/Halafs-Expand...12954170&psc=1
I don't vouch for the accuracy of this list, but you might want to consult this before you do that:
State Baton Laws - Weapon Laws for Dummies
livedarklions is offline  
Likes For livedarklions:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.