Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Help Choosing an Upright, Budget Folder?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-21, 07:15 AM
jkolade936

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I got into biking just this month with Indego rideshare cruisers. Riding is really fun, and I love it, though would prefer a more neutral rather than upright riding position; nowhere near as aggressive as a mtb or road bike, but just not a cruiser.
I want to buy a bike so I can go decent speeds on long (15+ mi) paved or gravel trails, handle moderate hills. I don't plan on buying another bike for a long time, so it needs to hold up well and be easy on the wallet and mind to maintain and customize for my body geometry.
However, I normally I live in a college dorm with no extra floorspace besides under the beds. I intend to keep my bike there instead of outside, and the dimensions of the space are (70"L x 40"L x 30"H). I don't think I full sized bike will work because I tend to use this space for my suitcase-sized trunk of food items (30”L x 15.75”D x 12.25”H) that I don't want to be moving out constantly every time I need to store/retrieve my bike.

That said, I think these are my criteria:
1. Storage Size: must be under 40" on all dimensions
2. Customizable: Grips, shifter/brake angles to the grips, and handlebars all need some degree of adjustability. Not planning to change the handlebars now, but maybe if I start getting wrist pain from my computer job again.
3. Maintenance: Is it a reliable build? Are any proprietary parts long-lasting?
4. Terrain: Can I be comfortable riding 10 miles on crushed limestone?
5. Budget: My student budget puts me at a hard $1.5K for this purchase. I don't mind used bikes if they are long-lasting and high quality.
6. Availability: I live in the NE United States, and I don't mind waiting several months for my bike as long as I can eventually get it.

I've considered Montagues with adjustable handlebar stems (Crosstown, Navigator), CHANGE bikes 702 and 809, ZiZZo Liberte and Forte, a few Dahon bikes, and used Bromptons.
Thank you for your time, and I look forward to reading your responses. <3
​​​​
Old 07-06-21, 05:02 PM
mlau

Bikes: Xootr Swift

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by jkolade936
I got into biking just this month with Indego rideshare cruisers. Riding is really fun, and I love it, though would prefer a more neutral rather than upright riding position; nowhere near as aggressive as a mtb or road bike, but just not a cruiser.
I want to buy a bike so I can go decent speeds on long (15+ mi) paved or gravel trails, handle moderate hills. I don't plan on buying another bike for a long time, so it needs to hold up well and be easy on the wallet and mind to maintain and customize for my body geometry.
However, I normally I live in a college dorm with no extra floorspace besides under the beds. I intend to keep my bike there instead of outside, and the dimensions of the space are (70"L x 40"L x 30"H). I don't think I full sized bike will work because I tend to use this space for my suitcase-sized trunk of food items (30”L x 15.75”D x 12.25”H) that I don't want to be moving out constantly every time I need to store/retrieve my bike.

That said, I think these are my criteria:
1. Storage Size: must be under 40" on all dimensions
2. Customizable: Grips, shifter/brake angles to the grips, and handlebars all need some degree of adjustability. Not planning to change the handlebars now, but maybe if I start getting wrist pain from my computer job again.
3. Maintenance: Is it a reliable build? Are any proprietary parts long-lasting?
4. Terrain: Can I be comfortable riding 10 miles on crushed limestone?
5. Budget: My student budget puts me at a hard $1.5K for this purchase. I don't mind used bikes if they are long-lasting and high quality.
6. Availability: I live in the NE United States, and I don't mind waiting several months for my bike as long as I can eventually get it.

I've considered Montagues with adjustable handlebar stems (Crosstown, Navigator), CHANGE bikes 702 and 809, ZiZZo Liberte and Forte, a few Dahon bikes, and used Bromptons.
Thank you for your time, and I look forward to reading your responses. <3
​​​​

If you can find a used Xootr swift or Bike Friday, you'll probably be a very happy person. Dahon or Downtube would possibly also float your boat.
Old 07-06-21, 05:05 PM
mlau

If you don't mind a compact, but not very small fold, I heartily recommend the xootr swift.
There's one in your area for sale: https://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/b...342894403.html

These bikes fit perfectly behind a door.
They're also super customizable, very stiff, and fun to ride.
Only downside is: not available new, doesn't fold Brompton small, not much for racks/carrying capacity.
Likes For mlau:
Old 07-06-21, 05:25 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
If you join this group you can often find people selling New World Tourist models at very reasonable prices. The NWT is an all around bike and with fat tires (like big Apples) just eats up gravel. All parts are standard, no proprietary parts, so any local shop
can help you out. https://groups.google.com/a/bikefriday.com/g/yak
Old 07-07-21, 09:27 AM
jkolade936

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ended up getting the ZiZZo Liberte. I think it will serve me well.
Old 07-07-21, 12:24 PM
mlau

Originally Posted by jkolade936
I ended up getting the ZiZZo Liberte. I think it will serve me well.
If it doesn't.....a bike friday or a Swift will serve you well.