Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

All Dahon Boardwalk Mods Done (for now)...

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 06-29-21, 07:38 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts

I've reached my repair and modification goals for the 2007 Dahon Boardwalk I bought about a month ago.

Today I had the handlebar stem shortened 3/4 of an inch so it could be lowered 3/4". I had ridden my other bikes (all drop bars) and their "on-the-hood" hand position was just a skosh lower. I know I could have cut more off, and then raised the bar to where I wanted, but this way, it physically stops where I want it. And that's an important convenience, since in order for the bull-horn bars to fit inside the frame fold, the steering column needs to be raised 3 or 4 inches. I didn't measure, but I put a discreet label on the stem. I also put a discreet label on the bull horn bars to help me find the handle bar rotation for riding and for folding. Miraculously, the bull-horn bars with with the original hand brakes mounted underneath fit in the fold. I used the adjustment set-screws to reduce the brake handle reach which was necessary in their current position, which also further enhanced the foldability. The bars and brake levers just miss the spokes of the front and rear wheels when folded. The bar-mounted shift lever had to be rotated back towards me a few degrees to fit inside the front rim, but shifting is not awkward.

The bike shop also was able to remove the seatpost protector from the bottom of the seat post so I could install a caster-wheel made to fit the bottom of the seatpost to aid in rolling the bike while folded. $11 shipped from Ali Express.

I needed a front fender and found an inexpensive pair ($19.99) from Decathalon. They fit and seem about as sturdy as any other plastic fender I have bought.

I bought a wireless speedometer/bikecomputer from Ali Express for $17 delivered. I figuered the fewer wires running across the fold the better. It works and does everything except temperature. Now that I am no longer commuting twice a day, I am not as concerned about exact on-bike temperature. The readout unit has to be removed for folding, but its handlebar mount can stay.

After using an AirZound airhorn during the last 25 years of bike commuting, I felt vulnerable not having a voice in traffic. I tried one of my older horns on the bike and it fit, so I bought a new one for the Boardwalk ($35). The air canister fits below the frame, below the water bottle cage, and the horn sits on the handlebar, although it, too must be removed for folding. The horn is quick release and the mounting cradle can stay on the bars.
h
So the bike was $100 from a private seller. The used replacement rear wheel was $20. The wider gear freewheel was $35, the Airzound was $35, the Speedometer was $17, the fender(s) $20, One new shift cable with sheath ~$15, $5 shift lever, $10 used replacement rear tire, $8 innertube, $15 tire liners, $20 for the steering column cut and seat post help, and $11 for the seat post wheel. plus $5 for the used bull-horn bars and $15 for the handlebar wrap. So about $200, and $100 for the bike for a total of $300 for a fast, comfortable, folding bike that equals my road bike commuter for average speed and weight. Not quite as fast or light as my old road bike, but lighter and faster than my old MTB-based commuter/snowbike.

I am thrilled and, once again, thanks bikeforums for supplying the knowledge and know-how to get more enjoyment (and safety) out of my bikes

Last edited by BobbyG; 06-30-21 at 07:56 AM.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 06-30-21, 02:08 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
Glad to see you have pulled it all together, it is a great looking package!

Old 07-05-21, 09:54 PM
mellavellum

Bikes: Dahon Speed 9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting hack on the handlebar stem height... hadn't thought of that! Thanks for sharing this cool setup and explaining how the bull-horn bars fold.
Old 07-26-21, 05:19 PM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 519 Times in 242 Posts
I have almost that same bike, and I made some mods of my own recently:

I absolutely hated the grip shifter, so I replaced it with a Shimano Rapidfire shifter instead. Didn't want to go to a bullhorn bar so I added grips with integrated bar ends. Replaced the lousy stock crank with a two piece crank with external bottom bracket. And installed my Brooks B17 saddle.

I do like your idea of putting a wheel at the bottom of the seatpost and using a bungee cord to keep the bike tightly folded, though, and I'll definitely have to look into doing those myself.
Likes For The Chemist: