Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Fixed vs. freewheel

Notices
Foo Light hearted off-topic chit chat with no general subject.

Fixed vs. freewheel

Old 07-05-21, 07:52 AM
TRACKMAN
hide not your essence

Bikes: Airborne,DeRosa,Guerciotti,Jamis,Merckx,Paris Sport,Raleigh,Vitus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts
Fixed vs. freewheel

Seeking a logical explanation for why a bicycle equipped with a fixed gear can gofaster than a bicycle with a freewheel .
both have same ratio 💋 keeping it simple 45x15. Not sure of the math pretty sure though there is a significant drop-off for freewheel regarding power transfer above 100 rpm of the crank.
.......\<,
....( )/ ( )...
Old 07-05-21, 08:09 AM
ahsposo 
Major Member

Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 5428 Post(s)
Liked 2,745 Times in 1,622 Posts
Do you have a credible source for "there is a significant drop-off for freewheel regarding power transfer above 100 rpm of the crank."
Old 07-05-21, 09:52 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 3018 Post(s)
Liked 1,037 Times in 594 Posts
The fixed gear is on a pursuit bike, and the freewheel is on a step-through hybrid.
Old 07-05-21, 12:23 PM
TheRealDrPhil
2+1+0=1

Bikes: Fixie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Is this a trick question? Normally one would pose this question holding every thing else constant (ceteris paribus), but the bikes seem to be significantly different. Could the observed difference in speed be due to the other factors not being held constant?
Old 07-05-21, 03:19 PM
3alarmer
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 282 Post(s)
Quoted: 21754 Post(s)
Liked 4,614 Times in 3,390 Posts
...I passed a family, out on the MUP along the river today. Their smallest daughter was on one of those strider bikes, the ones that have no pedals. She was really moving that thing...her short little legs and feet were a blur. I can't figure out how I managed to pass her, with all that extraneous stuff like pedals and a crank.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 07-05-21, 05:12 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Liked 757 Times in 442 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post
...I passed a family, out on the MUP along the river today. Their smallest daughter was on one of those strider bikes, the ones that have no pedals. She was really moving that thing...her short little legs and feet were a blur. I can't figure out how I managed to pass her, with all that extraneous stuff like pedals and a crank.
Her bike was planing, and she was countersteering, having completed a strider certification course.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 07-06-21, 12:32 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Quoted: 4257 Post(s)
Liked 2,208 Times in 1,426 Posts
Several friends, some of whom are amateur racers in crits and track events, ride both fixed and freewheel, and all of them say fixed is more efficient in some ways.

However at least four of those half dozen or so friends have suffered busted up shoulders in falls while riding fixed in traffic. Twice with one friend. Two other friends during the past month. One of those is among the most proficient, skilled and coordinated riders I've seen. But he has a busted flipper now too.

But there's little margin for error riding fixed. I've watched their shenanigans too often, track standing at traffic lights and stops, when most of them do not have the agility needed to make it work. And panic braking when drivers do something unexpected or stupid. Or on the MUP ramps up and down by the river, where a single error could end up in breaking a femur against the ledge of the dam, or falling into the river. Nah, thanks.

I tried in on track decades ago and didn't have the knack for it. No way would I ride fixed on streets occupied by motor vehicles. Only way I *might* consider it is on lightly traveled roads after midnight. But, nah. Not really interested.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 07-06-21, 03:11 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 483 Times in 356 Posts
i can only guess, but from what i understand from reading, fixed gear has a bit of it's own momentum once the system gets going. i'll never have a fixed or a singlespeed. there's no novelty for it in my mind when living in the hills. and, certainly no advantage