Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1983 Holdsworth Special Reynolds 531

Old 07-10-21, 10:15 AM
Mdl
Montedino

Bikes: Bertin, Ross Mt Hood; Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
1983 Holdsworth Special Reynolds 531

The seller is asking $600. I know next to nothing about Holdsworths. Do you think it’s worth it?

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/...331189341.html

I’m also looking at a 1983 Fuji Roubaix Pro with Reynolds 853 frame. Completely different bike, I know.
Thanks!
Old 07-10-21, 10:26 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Yes it is worth $600. That bike is very, very clean. The frame is excellent and the parts are good. That does appear to be a low mileage bike as per the seller’s description.

if that bike were local to me and my size, I’d buy it.

Last edited by bikemig; 07-10-21 at 10:38 AM.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 07-10-21, 10:55 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3783 Post(s)
Liked 3,288 Times in 2,148 Posts
-----

very nice; thank you for posting

do not recall seeing one previously in this darker orange colour

be aware that kitting is somewhat modest with fittings such as ordinary calibre Matsumoto hubs and a swaged chainset...

(not trying to denigrate it)

-----
Old 07-10-21, 02:22 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26250 Post(s)
Liked 10,231 Times in 7,100 Posts
...I, too, have never seen a Holdsworth Special in that color. Even with the unique array of components, it's well worth the asking price. Not sure why they chose 27" wheels for the package, so it somewhat limits your replacement tyre choices, but I have a couple of bikes with 27" wheels that I ride here and enjoy. I could say that the Special is stereotypically British in ride quality, but it probably would not help you decide.

The Special's I've seen here typically show up in a unique shade of blue paint. They are often outfitted with different components than yours.

Old 07-11-21, 04:20 AM
Mdl
Montedino

Originally Posted by bikemig
Yes it is worth $600. That bike is very, very clean. The frame is excellent and the parts are good. That does appear to be a low mileage bike as per the seller’s description.

if that bike were local to me and my size, I’d buy it.
Yes. I’m tempted. I’ll see whether I can make some time for the 2 hour round trip to check it out.
Old 07-11-21, 04:59 AM
Mdl
Montedino

Originally Posted by juvela
-----

very nice; thank you for posting

do not recall seeing one previously in this darker orange colour

be aware that kitting is somewhat modest with fittings such as ordinary calibre Matsumoto hubs and a swaged chainset...

(not trying to denigrate it)

-----
Thanks. What is a swaged chainset? I’ve read a few posts on here, and a wiki article on swaging, and I’m not sure whether it means the back of the spider is crimped instead of…solid? Is it weaker than some other method of forging?

Last edited by Mdl; 07-11-21 at 05:05 AM.
Old 07-11-21, 05:39 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3783 Post(s)
Liked 3,288 Times in 2,148 Posts
-----

yes, crimped is a reasonable term

with three-piece chainsets, whether cottered steel or alloy cotterless, the ordinary quality examples are swaged because it it a lower cost method of fabrication

on the very lowest ones the chainwheel is swaged directly to the crank arm

the set on the subject cycle has the spider swaged to the crank arm; in this design both chainwheels can be replaced

higher quality sets, whether cottered steel or alloy cotterless, are of forged construction - the drive side crank arm and the spider are one piece of metal

---

me comment intended to point out that calibre of cycle's fittings is below that of frame;
nothing "wrong" with this - just wished to make sure you were aware of it for your decision making...

---

what the assemblers did is most sensible from a "bang for the buck" perspective. most forum regulars would agree it makes much more sense to build with a first quality frameset and midliner fittings than it does to put the highest quality fittings on an ordinary frame.

-----

Last edited by juvela; 07-11-21 at 07:15 AM. Reason: addition
Old 07-11-21, 06:02 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
I wouldn’t undersell the parts. They are clean and very functional. Shimano 600 brakes, Deore shifters, crane rear derailleur, shimano 600 fd, decent wheels. Theses are good parts, but the value of the bike is obviously the frame.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 07-11-21, 09:36 AM
Mdl
Montedino

Originally Posted by juvela
-----

yes, crimped is a reasonable term

with three-piece chainsets, whether cottered steel or alloy cotterless, the ordinary quality examples are swaged because it it a lower cost method of fabrication

on the very lowest ones the chainwheel is swaged directly to the crank arm

the set on the subject cycle has the spider swaged to the crank arm; in this design both chainwheels can be replaced

higher quality sets, whether cottered steel or alloy cotterless, are of forged construction - the drive side crank arm and the spider are one piece of metal

---

me comment intended to point out that calibre of cycle's fittings is below that of frame;
nothing "wrong" with this - just wished to make sure you were aware of it for your decision making...

---

what the assemblers did is most sensible from a "bang for the buck" perspective. most forum regulars would agree it makes much more sense to build with a first quality frameset and midliner fittings than it does to put the highest quality fittings on an ordinary frame.

-----
Oh I understand now. Thanks for taking the time to provide your very informative and thorough response. I appreciate it.
Old 07-12-21, 08:34 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 122 Posts
Delete