Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Our Calfee Tetra became an E-tandem 4 years ago today

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-21, 08:58 AM
DubT

Bikes: Trek Speed Concept 9.9, 2011 Calfee Tetra Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts

After battling the wind on the Illinois prairie for several years we decided to add a motor to our Calfee Tetra. I initially thought about a rear wheel motor but after talking to a tech at Calfee we went with a Bafang BBSHD middrive motor.

We are EXTREMELY happy with our decision, We can ride into most winds with no issues other than wind noise.

What can I say, the experience has been nothing but positive. The Bafang motor has performed flawlessly. Maintenance has not been an issue at all, chains and cassettes seem to last just as long as they did before the conversion.

Our average speed went from around 16 to over 18 and our typical ride went from 20 to 30. We have done a 70 mile ride with no issues. The system has 9 levels of assist and we typically use level 1 and 2.
Old 07-13-21, 09:45 AM
kayakindude

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts
Glad it worked out for you and shows the durability of these systems. Really helpful on tandems where two riders typically have different wattage and for climbing. It too see about a 2-3 mph difference in average and that's with minimal draw. Are you still using the original batteries?
Old 07-13-21, 12:46 PM
DubT

Bikes: Trek Speed Concept 9.9, 2011 Calfee Tetra Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
After thinking about it our average speed is more like 19-20. I bought a new larger capacity battery about a year ago. I was having to charge the original one after nearly every ride. I went from a 14 to a 21 and now i only have to charge it every 2-3 rides.