Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Has USPS lost my package.....again ?

Notices
Foo Light hearted off-topic chit chat with no general subject.

Old 07-20-21, 01:22 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 29 frames + 74 wheels

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 286 Times in 167 Posts

It seems like USPS reliability has been getting worse every year to the point that I always try to find alternative carriers where possible, even if it costs more. This time it's a bicycle computer that shipped from Spain and was received 4 days later at the USPS Chicago ICS (International Service Center), but is now stuck there with no further movement 11 days later. According to USPS, I should have received my first class package no later than last Tuesday, which is a week ago. From what I can tell, the ICS is after clearing customs, so it's not stuck there. Anyways, every further day that passes, I have less hope that I'll ever see my package. 😔

Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 07-20-21, 02:34 PM
Hondo Gravel
es ist mir egal

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 2,309 Times in 1,490 Posts
I hate when DHL is the carrier because they require a signature even for the cheap stuff. I understand if the item is expensive and UPS and Fed Ex e-mails to inform that a signature will be required because the package is over 400 bucks I think. Insurance purposes the drivers say. But DHL for a 50 dollar whatever wants that signature. USPS has been great so far.
Old 07-20-21, 02:45 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
I hate when DHL is the carrier because they require a signature even for the cheap stuff. I understand if the item is expensive and UPS and Fed Ex e-mails to inform that a signature will be required because the package is over 400 bucks I think. Insurance purposes the drivers say. But DHL for a 50 dollar whatever wants that signature. USPS has been great so far.
You're lucky, then. USPS has lost or misdelivered a lot of my mail and parcels. Also, they sometimes ship to the wrong city, then send it back, and it bounces around for another week before it is finally delivered. Signature requirements are usually determined by the shipper, not the carrier.

I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 07-20-21, 03:18 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Quoted: 14485 Post(s)
Liked 2,441 Times in 1,817 Posts
It is rare that USPS actually loses a package. Although, like @TejanoTrackie, I've had a few packages that took the scenic route. The worst was a package that got shipped to a small town in Alaska with weekly service, so it went, sat for a week, then was picked back up and shipped to me.

Hard to say about the foreign customs. I've had them appear stuck for some time before resuming delivery service.
Old 07-20-21, 05:28 PM
Hondo Gravel
es ist mir egal

Yup, my friends that moved to the Austin area have a problem with mail theft right out of the mailbox and this is a nice area and the thieves are targeting packages rather than letters. I told them there are not hippies or Democrats they are just thieves lol. The post master is working on getting the area locked mailboxes.
Old 07-20-21, 06:10 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
Yup, my friends that moved to the Austin area have a problem with mail theft right out of the mailbox and this is a nice area and the thieves are targeting packages rather than letters. I told them there are not hippies or Democrats they are just thieves lol. The post master is working on getting the area locked mailboxes.
I have a mail slot in my front door. Problem solved.

Old 07-20-21, 08:46 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
Hard to say about the foreign customs. I've had them appear stuck for some time before resuming delivery service.
Hopefully, that's all it is. Still, 11 days seems a long time, don't you think ?

Old 07-20-21, 11:23 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Quoted: 4275 Post(s)
Liked 2,241 Times in 1,444 Posts
Overseas shipping has been a mess for more than a year mostly due to the pandemic, secondarily due to economic reasons, policy changes, etc. Besides transit delays, the shipping industry reported a record high loss of containers at sea in 2020. That's due in part to unusually rough seas, and an entire maritime industry that's creaking along on badly neglected ships and barely adequate crews.

In my experience the USPS has generally been reliable. There have been a few exceptions but in general the post office is doing better now than they were around 2014 or so.

And in my experience FedEx has always been the worst of the worst, by far. Whether for business or personal items, sending or receiving, more often than not FedEx gets it wrong. I've heard others claim they've had good experiences with FedEx, but in around 30 years of using them when no other service was available, they've been a PITA.

UPS and Amazon have been somewhere between those two extremes. Amazon has improved quite a bit in my area the past year, after taking over most delivery rather than relying on a network of contractors.
Old 07-21-21, 12:34 AM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie View Post
Hopefully, that's all it is. Still, 11 days seems a long time, don't you think ?
Yes, it seems like an eternity when one is waiting. Especially if the status of one's package is indeterminate.

I've wondered if the tracking number accurately reflects the position of the package before mail enters mainstream US processing. So, is the package in the middle of the Atlantic, but shows the tracking has been transferred to the USA?

It is hard to say when one should sound the alarm. 11 days and you could at least start trying to figure out where stuff is, but I wouldn't be too overly concerned until 30 days hits.
Old 07-21-21, 02:37 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: Early 90's Ochsner road, 2006 Schwinn SS DBX, 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 1989? Fuji Ace, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 329 Posts
l purchased a really nice partial 6600 group, the seller in VA and I am in DE. The package made it to the Wilmington, DE distribution center in 3 days, then disappeared for 3 weeks. I started a search for the package with USPS after 10 days, with a result of being notified that the it had not been scanned in those 10 days. I waited another week or so, then the seller and I decided it was time to put in a lost claim. The next day, I received a message from USPS stating the package appeared to have been lost, please notify seller they should make a claim. Two days after that I received a message stating the package had been scanned in Wilmington and would be moving on to next destination. It took another 3 days to actually be delivered to my home. So, after giving up on the package actually being delivered, a lost claim being submitted, it somehow magically was found and sent to me. All good in the end.

I have numerous items that have been delayed, but only one that was actually lost.
Old 07-21-21, 11:05 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

I've wondered if the tracking number accurately reflects the position of the package before mail enters mainstream US processing. So, is the package in the middle of the Atlantic, but shows the tracking has been transferred to the USA?
There is no doubt that it has arrived in the USA. USPS tracking states "Your item has been processed through our facility in ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS) at 10:58 am on July 9, 2021." I did some research, and this actually means that it has arrived on US soil and turned over to customs, but has not yet been processed through customs. So, I guess I can't really blame USPS for the delay, since they have no control over customs. After processing through customs, it is turned over to USPS for domestic delivery.

Old 07-21-21, 11:16 AM
CliffordK

They likely have to process all the cocaine and heroine shipments before they get to yours.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 07-21-21, 12:06 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

They likely have to process all the cocaine and heroine shipments before they get to yours.
Growing up in Mexico, you had to bribe government officials and bureaucrats to get anything done. They were not called bribes, they were euphemistically called "propinas", which in English means "tips". That's how I passed my Mexican driver's license test. My mom was so proud of me that I had passed, and never knew the real reason why.

Old 07-22-21, 10:23 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Update on 7/22/2021 - 13 days after entering customs, the package has reappeared at the Indianapolis regional distribution center and is now shown as in transit to the destination. This gives me renewed hope that I will actually receive the package, although it will have taken nearly a month to receive it. I guess my $1000 bribe, I mean tip to the Chicago custom’s agent worked.

Old 07-22-21, 11:28 AM
CliffordK

Glad to hear the package is on the move again.

They must have gotten all the coke and hash shipments processed, and gotten to yours.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 07-22-21, 01:47 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 15294 Post(s)
Liked 6,533 Times in 3,692 Posts
You don't want to keep those people waiting.
Old 07-22-21, 09:48 PM
Kat12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 74 Posts
Yes, it seems like an eternity when one is waiting. Especially if the status of one's package is indeterminate.

It is hard to say when one should sound the alarm. 11 days and you could at least start trying to figure out where stuff is, but I wouldn't be too overly concerned until 30 days hits.
Absolutely put in a request to find the package now. The longer you wait, the smaller chance it will be found. BTDT. Someone shipped something to me from several states away. Tracking never updated past "label printed." I gave it a couple weeks, then a couple more before putting in a request for a missing mail search, thinking, well, it's a pandemic, don't be impatient. Then the person I bought it from told me he'd gotten a letter from a post office along the way, containing the shipping label and nothing else-- somehow it got ripped off the box.

Cut to someone at one of the post offices telling me that yeah, they have a "dead letter" center that stuff gets sent to (it's in Atlanta or something), but if there's no ID in the box either, it's trashed within days.

Well, I'll never see that item and I'm pretty sore about it-- it was something I bought secondhand and not only was it pretty cool, but I'll never find one at that price again. There probably wasn't any hope for it even if I had acted sooner, but you can bet I learned my lesson: 1. Put shipping info inside the box as well, and 2. call as soon as you think something is wrong (in this case, I should have notified the seller as soon as I noticed it wasn't scanned as "received by post office" for several days and then called USPS to initiate a search). I did that recently when something was supposed to be delivered but tracking was hung up. After their investigation, they found it was delivered but just not scanned (although my suspicion is that in reality they found it and then sent it on, since they said it had been delivered days before but I got notice from the place I sent it to that they had received it just a day after USPS responded to me).

As far as tracking, something else I learned on my little adventure (yeah, I started calling post offices and not just dealing with main USPS; my hope was to call each post office along its potential route and see if any of them had an unidentified box; unfortunately that didn't pan out for the reasons above) is that they don't scan individual packages-- they scan containers that the packages are in. So no, someone is not scanning each box as they toss it in the container, and IIRC, I think he also said they don't scan it at the station of origin, but when it gets to a hub.
Old 07-24-21, 04:52 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2197 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 253 Posts
I know, it's not USPS, but I guess these things happen with all carriers....I have no idea which has the worst track record.

Sen. Chuck Schumer is demanding accountability from UPS after more than 100 AP exams of high school students never made it to the College Board for grading

https://news.yahoo.com/sen-chuck-sch...031300334.html

• Sen. Chuck Schumer called on UPS to respond, saying it lost more than 100 AP exams.
  • The College Board initially proposed offering a refund to students or allowing them to retake the exam.
  • Starpoint High School students asked Schumer to request action from UPS or to reimburse them for the lost college credit.

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer demanded action from UPS after more than 100 AP exams never made it to the College Board for grading.

UPS lost 106 exams, taken by junior and senior students at Starpoint High School, earlier this week, according to Superintendent Sean Croft.

"We were quite shocked by that information," Croft told WKBW. "They told us that four of our boxes that we sent at different times had arrived, however this one was missing."
Old 07-24-21, 06:44 PM
Kat12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 74 Posts
In years past I would have said that I definitely trust USPS, and could tell you about great experiences I've had. The people at my local post office are great, and so are most of those I've dealt with by phone. However, the hub in my area is terrible, and this was true pre-pandemic. I regularly have to send Certified letters for my job, and I've seen... well, maybe not "it all," but pretty close. I also send these letters with the green signature confirmation card (which costs extra)... I actually get this card back maybe only half the time-- did I mention we pay extra specifically to get this card back? (I'll give them the benefit of the doubt since at my office, the mail needs to get to our main office, then get put into the mailbox for my separate office, then whoever picks up the mail has to actually get the card to me rather than someone else so I'll put some of these instances on my coworkers, but, who knows since while the green cards have their own tracking number, they are never actually scanned themselves.)

In my area, it's a jungle out there...
Old 07-24-21, 07:09 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Well, the package finally arrived today, just two days after customs handed it back to USPS. So, if you eliminate the two week delay in customs, it only took USPS 3 days from the time it arrived in the USA to deliver it to me. So basically, 1) USPS did not lose the package, and 2) the delay was not their fault since they have no control over customs. BTW, the Sigma BC 16.16 STS bike computer is really nice, once I figured out the obscure pictographic instructions. The only reason I bought it from a European webstore in Spain was because like so many bike accessories these days, they are impossible to find locally here in the USA.

Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 07-24-21, 07:31 PM
Hondo Gravel
es ist mir egal

I purchased several items from chain reaction from Ireland until Shimano wouldn’t let them sell their products to the USA or Canada. Anyways DHL always seems to be the overseas carrier. 2-3 days from Ireland to the Texas boonies not bad. I will use chain reaction again if I fix up another Motobecane. Been off the bike for awhile but alway returning after the heat and humidity ain’t so bad.
Old 07-25-21, 12:07 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 15294 Post(s)
Liked 6,533 Times in 3,692 Posts
I just purchased a bear. Hope it arrives quickly. Need to go rub salmon and berries on the neighbor's car.
Likes For Seattle Forrest: