Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

White Thick Slick, anybody make a comparable tire around 30mm?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-21, 09:47 AM
browndude3649

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Im over 200lbs but i want a white thick slick for a specialized m4 convers. Wider tire. Anything comparable?
Old 07-25-21, 12:31 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
I was not aware that they make the Thickslick in white.

There are many comparable and better tires. What attributes of the Thickslick do you like? If it’s the completely smooth tread and big, script logo that you like, I don’t know of any others with this appearance.

If you just want a durable (but heavy) road tire in 32mm width, the Continental Gatorskin comes to mind. With the rising popularity of gravel bikes, there are many others that could work for you, just won’t have an appearance much like the Thickslick.
Old 07-25-21, 01:09 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
I seem to recall the Thick Slick being an utter train wreck as far as rolling resistance.

I’m using Continental Contact Speed tires in the 26x2.0 size on a vintage MTB. That tire is nearly smooth with a minimal diamond tread pattern, comes in a lot of sizes and widths, rolls pretty well, has a puncture layer and seems to be easy to install and remove.

Oh, actually I don’t think the Contact Speed comes in white, so that won’t help. Sorry about that.

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 07-25-21 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-25-21, 07:17 PM
browndude3649

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Appreciate the replies, idk if its me but I've always had bad luck with conti sidewalls gettn cut or nail punctures. Is the sidewall of a gatorskin that thick vs the other roadie racing tires from conti?
Old 07-26-21, 12:24 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by browndude3649
Is the sidewall of a gatorskin that thick vs the other roadie racing tires from conti?
I don’t really know. They just have a reputation for excellent puncture protection. I had good luck with a few I’ve tried, a 32mm set on my fixed gear and 25mm on an old road bike. Not that they never got punctured, but they had fewer flats than other tires I’ve used.

They also have a reputation for terrible feel or handling. I’ve heard them described as like riding on a frozen hose, a piece of rope, or a wooden wheel. In my experience they were not that bad, but I’m not too sensitive to that kind of thing.

The Thickslicks I had looked cool, resisted punctures well, and handled okay, but were HEAVY.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 07-28-21, 07:45 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4350 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
I have had few flats with Gatorskins and other Conti tires. Thickslicks are pretty terrible tires all around they are thick and heavy but not of a ton of quality just a big logo and some colors.
Likes For veganbikes: