Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Olympic cycling shocker

Notices
Foo Light hearted off-topic chit chat with no general subject.

Olympic cycling shocker

Old 07-26-21, 03:12 AM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 897 Times in 491 Posts
Olympic cycling shocker

TLDR--Unknown solo rider breaks away and the favorites lose count, not realizing she is still a couple minutes ahead of the main pack.

https://sports.yahoo.com/anna-kiesen...ycsrp_catchall

She is a time trialer who trains part time without team support. She represented Austria by herself in the road race after winning a qualifier back at home. She broke away with a group of five to get out to a ten minute lead. She then broke away from the other four. The favorites behind her then though they were in the lead when they caught up to the other four. Without the use of radios, nobody could alert them that there was still one more to catch. The second place finisher thought she had won the race when she crossed the line.
Old 07-26-21, 03:55 AM
ahsposo 
Major Member

Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 5440 Post(s)
Liked 2,780 Times in 1,640 Posts
Yes, no radios. That's the ticket.
Likes For ahsposo:
Old 07-26-21, 07:23 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 933 Post(s)
Liked 897 Times in 592 Posts
Such a great story and crazy ending with Van Vleuten thinking she was in the lead and had won gold. This was the rider that went down hard in Rio in 2016 while leading the race,

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cycling/37550889

and had overcome going down earlier in this race yesterday, unable to avoid a rider ahead of her who went into one of those crevices in the road that also came into play in the men's race. What a hard luck Olympic story she has to tell. She's obviously tough though, so maybe '24 will be her year.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/olympi...nishing-second
Old 07-26-21, 07:32 PM
skidder
Bipsycorider

Bikes: Why yes, I do have a few! Thank you for asking!

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 421 Times in 292 Posts
I wish they'd stop using radios in all the pro races, just let them pay attention to what's going on. That would make it much more interesting. They already know the course (or courses) since its been thoroughly scouted out for problem areas, so just let the riders use their 'street smarts' about when to break away or pull back. When they plead 'safety' I'd say there are enough team cars following to help out with crashes or other contingencies.

Anyway, great ride by the Austrian rider.
Old 07-26-21, 08:21 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 385 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder View Post
I wish they'd stop using radios in all the pro races, just let them pay attention to what's going on. That would make it much more interesting. They already know the course (or courses) since its been thoroughly scouted out for problem areas, so just let the riders use their 'street smarts' about when to break away or pull back. When they plead 'safety' I'd say there are enough team cars following to help out with crashes or other contingencies.

Anyway, great ride by the Austrian rider.
I wish the TDF and similar big cycling events got rid of all motorized vehicles on the course intermixed with the cyclists except for the minimum necessary for safety and perhaps camera vehicles necessary for broadcasting TV (which pays the bills) and certainly NOT allow any physical or electronic contact at all between cyclists and whatever vehicles are still on the course unless it is an ambulance and the cyclist is within. Watching the TdF on TV resembles watching a NASCAR race with all the motor vehicles on the track.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 07-26-21, 11:22 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Quoted: 4275 Post(s)
Liked 2,241 Times in 1,444 Posts
Yeah, I've heard critiques by cycling pundits about the men's and women's Olympic road races, attributing the confused tactics to lack of radio communication.

It's interesting to see how quickly those old school communication methods were lost after radios were permitted -- domestiques dropping back to the team car for coaching, or checking handheld signs along the route. I suppose some of that is still familiar to some track racers.

It does seem to favor strong breakaway riders, time trialists like Kiesenhofer. Good for her.

From a fan's perspective, it's more interesting to see if teams can work out tactics on the fly, with only old school communications.